Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Price Is Right  (Read 20096 times)

Jimmy Owen

The Price Is Right
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2005, 07:41:26 PM »
Is there any reason why, besides "because it's never been done" the same pricing game couldn't be played more than once a show, like a Plinko in the first and second half?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 07:45:50 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Price Is Right
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2005, 07:55:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 18 2005, 04:41 PM\']Is there any reason why, besides "because it's never been done" the same pricing game couldn't be played more than once a show, like a Plinko in the first and second half?
[snapback]89419[/snapback]
[/quote]
In terms of production? None.

In terms of aesthetics? Billions.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

The Price Is Right
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2005, 08:07:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 18 2005, 06:41 PM\']Is there any reason why, besides "because it's never been done" the same pricing game couldn't be played more than once a show, like a Plinko in the first and second half?
[/quote]

Fremangle: That's a good idea, Jimmy. Let's do Double Prices behind the Giant Price Tag, in front of each of the three doors, at the turntable, and in the back of the audience, and play it six times in the same show.

clemon79

The Price Is Right
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2005, 08:12:49 PM »
[quote name=\'wschmrdr\' date=\'Jun 18 2005, 04:19 PM\']The trouble with doing one car game is that it seems when people go to the studio (not us, of course), it's almost as if they have their heart set on winning a new car. It's probably the reason why so many of them are offered during primetime specials, and why Triple Play was invented. I don't think most people go to TPiR cause they wanna win a sofa or telephone or worthless crap like that.
[/quote]
Anybody who would not be THRILLED with the least little prize they are receiving (for NOTHING, let's make that completely clear) has no business being on a game show. Or alive, for that matter.

zachhoran

The Price Is Right
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2005, 08:48:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 18 2005, 07:12 PM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 18 2005, 07:07 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 18 2005, 06:41 PM\']Is there any reason why, besides "because it's never been done" the same pricing game couldn't be played more than once a show, like a Plinko in the first and second half?
[/quote]

Fremangle: That's a good idea, Jimmy. Let's do Double Prices behind the Giant Price Tag, in front of each of the three doors, at the turntable, and in the back of the audience, and play it six times in the same show.
[snapback]89422[/snapback]
[/quote]

Let me say right here from personal experience that when Zach disses you, it hurts worse than a thousand Clemon critiques.
[snapback]89424[/snapback]
[/quote]

It was your idea to play a pricing game more than once. Someone at Fremangle might like the idea and call you for an interview :)

Jimmy Owen

The Price Is Right
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2005, 08:50:27 PM »
I feel better now.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

The Price Is Right
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2005, 09:01:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 18 2005, 07:50 PM\']I feel better now.
[snapback]89427[/snapback]
[/quote]

I didn't realize I could be that harsh. Fremantle of course can harshly affect the gameplay of some GT formats when they want to :)

BrandonFG

The Price Is Right
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2005, 09:32:10 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Jun 18 2005, 08:01 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jun 18 2005, 07:50 PM\']I feel better now.
[snapback]89427[/snapback]
[/quote]

I didn't realize I could be that harsh. Fremantle of course can harshly affect the gameplay of some GT formats when they want to :)
[snapback]89428[/snapback]
[/quote]

WHOOOOOOOOOSH! I think Jimmy was just playing along.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Steve Gavazzi

The Price Is Right
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2005, 09:58:56 PM »
[quote name=\'wschmrdr\' date=\'Jun 18 2005, 07:19 PM\']...it's almost as if they have their heart set on winning a new car. It's probably...why Triple Play was invented.
[snapback]89418[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually, Triple Play was invented because Bob wanted a game with a car behind each door.  You weren't even supposed to be able to win more than one in the originally proposed format.

Fedya

The Price Is Right
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2005, 10:08:03 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 18 2005, 07:12 PM\']Anybody who would not be THRILLED with the least little prize they are receiving (for NOTHING, let's make that completely clear) has no business being on a game show. Or alive, for that matter.
[snapback]89423[/snapback]
[/quote]
That sounds like a good rule of thumb, but be honest: If you made it on stage on TPIR to play Clock Game, and the prizes were a giant novelty gumball machine and a designer evening gown, don't you think you'd have trouble looking excited?
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

wschmrdr

The Price Is Right
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2005, 10:14:47 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 18 2005, 08:12 PM\'][quote name=\'wschmrdr\' date=\'Jun 18 2005, 04:19 PM\']The trouble with doing one car game is that it seems when people go to the studio (not us, of course), it's almost as if they have their heart set on winning a new car. It's probably the reason why so many of them are offered during primetime specials, and why Triple Play was invented. I don't think most people go to TPiR cause they wanna win a sofa or telephone or worthless crap like that.
[/quote]
Anybody who would not be THRILLED with the least little prize they are receiving (for NOTHING, let's make that completely clear) has no business being on a game show. Or alive, for that matter.
[snapback]89423[/snapback]
[/quote]

Uh clemon, IIRC, the contestants have to pay their way to the studio. They're not getting something for nothing, since they do have to pay for it in the form of getting to the studio. On top of that, the contestants have to pay for what they win to the IRS in the form of income taxes.

Yes I realize they can deny some prizes, but then they aren't getting the "something".

clemon79

The Price Is Right
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2005, 10:32:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Jun 18 2005, 07:08 PM\']and the prizes were a giant novelty gumball machine and a designer evening gown, don't you think you'd have trouble looking excited?
[/quote]
Actually I think one of those gumball machines would look great in my place, and I'm sure I could get rid of the gown for a few bucks. And the grand for winning wouldn't hurt.

Point being, in return for the courtesy of being selected for their game, my job is to give 'em the performance they want, even if the prize is a year's supply of liver & onions, courtesy of our friends at Omaha Steaks.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2005, 10:40:04 PM by clemon79 »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
The Price Is Right
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2005, 12:33:22 AM »
[quote name=\'wschmrdr\' date=\'Jun 18 2005, 09:14 PM\']Uh clemon, IIRC, the contestants have to pay their way to the studio.[/quote]
Irrelevant, not the point, and you know it.

Let's say you take a vacation from Miami to Chicago to see the Cubs play.  While at the Cubs game, you win the "50-50" contest; netting you $1,000, a Sammy Sosa Cork topper, and a bottle of Chicago Cubs Barbecue Sauce. You didn't have to pay anything to enter the contest.  You gained $1,000, and possibly more by selling the cork.

Same with Price.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

The Price Is Right
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2005, 12:53:49 AM »
[quote name=\'wschmrdr\' date=\'Jun 18 2005, 07:14 PM\']Uh clemon, IIRC, the contestants have to pay their way to the studio. They're not getting something for nothing, since they do have to pay for it in the form of getting to the studio. On top of that, the contestants have to pay for what they win to the IRS in the form of income taxes.

Yes I realize they can deny some prizes, but then they aren't getting the "something".
[/quote]
Do you have to make a concerted effort to miss the point by this much, or does it come naturally?

You know what? I'll even humor the insane stupidity of that remark: Do you really think that someone who does in fact pay to attend the taping has a birthright to be selected as a contestant? Because that's what you're implying. And anyone who DOES make that trip with expectations should ABSOLUTELY be passed over.

You should put heads together with saussage some more. You two are made for each other.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 12:58:58 AM by clemon79 »

clemon79

The Price Is Right
« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2005, 01:00:07 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Jun 18 2005, 09:33 PM\']and a bottle of Chicago Cubs Barbecue Sauce.
[/quote]
I'd rather go to Milwaukee and get the Secret Stadium Sauce they put on the bratwurst. That stuff is the BOMB.