Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Least Emotional GS Hosts...  (Read 11853 times)

TimK2003

Least Emotional GS Hosts...
« on: May 29, 2005, 07:58:26 PM »
There have been some great game show finales -- many due to the true emotional value with the hosts spilling their guts thanking everyone and shedding tears.

I know of two hosts that stick out who treated final shows as if they were just another episode -- maybe a short generic mention of the show being the final show and that's it.  The two that come to mind for me are Bill Cullen and Tom Kennedy.

Bill Cullen never really got emotional on show finales, mainly because he would probably be back on within a few weeks hosting another show, if not the following Monday.  

Perhaps with the exception of Split Second (when Tom was humbled by Monty Halls cameo and review of Tom's work), and Wordplay (his final show), Tom never really said much on the show finales.

Anyhoo,  do you prefer hosts who take a moment or two to thank those who gave them the job, those who thank the viewers (or lack of) who watched every day and those who personally thank those who worked behind the scenes?  Or do you prefer those who treat the gig as if it was a temp position like Bill & Tom who take the high road on finales (call it 'professionalism').

Any other hosts that downplayed finales more often than not?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 08:07:28 PM »
It seems as though Gene Rayburn's gigs always ended without closure.

Then there are the shows where the shows were in the can and had to be wrapped up in post production ('70s $otC, LVG, etc.)  It's hard to get emotional when you don't know it's over.

I think it depends on the show, some hosts may be relieved that it's over.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 08:12:34 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'May 29 2005, 06:58 PM\']Perhaps with the exception of Split Second (when Tom was humbled by Monty Halls cameo and review of Tom's work), and Wordplay (his final show), Tom never really said much on the show finales.
[snapback]86952[/snapback]
[/quote]
Not sure I completely buy that--Kennedy was pretty eloquent on the final P+; paying a little tribute to Ludden and even doing his own credit roll as the final music bed played (a full credit roll was not run on that particular ep).  I'd certainly agree that it wasn't emotional, but I think you're giving his final moments on P+ somewhat short shrift.

Really, if you think about it, other than Dawson (FF85), Eubanks (CS89/NEWLYWED) and Convy (SP), I think most hosts were rather calm, cool and collected for whatever finale they did (I wouldn't call Perry's CS and $otC finales "emotional," but YMMV).  Maybe I'm overlooking someone, although one doesn't spring to mind off the top.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

bandit_bobby

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 08:57:11 PM »
An obvious choice for that category would be Chuck Henry.

The Pyramids

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 10:00:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 29 2005, 07:07 PM\']It seems as though Gene Rayburn's gigs always ended without closure.

Then there are the shows where the shows were in the can and had to be wrapped up in post production ('70s $otC, LVG, etc.)  It's hard to get emotional when you don't know it's over.

I think it depends on the show, some hosts may be relieved that it's over.
[snapback]86954[/snapback]
[/quote]

Did 'Match Game' end in '82 with no word as to weather or not they would be back, hence no closure?

aaron sica

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 10:50:37 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'May 29 2005, 10:00 PM\']
Did 'Match Game' end in '82 with no word as to weather or not they would be back, hence no closure?
[snapback]86965[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yup! Was just a normal goodbye...Keep in mind that back in '82, MG was "bicycled"...

SRIV94

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 10:55:15 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'May 29 2005, 09:50 PM\'][quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'May 29 2005, 10:00 PM\']
[snapback]86965[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yup! Was just a normal goodbye...Keep in mind that back in '82, MG was "bicycled"...
[snapback]86968[/snapback]
[/quote]
Not to mention that MG79 was cancelled by CBS with already-taped shows that went unaired--that is until GSN went ahead and aired them.  No clear mention of the final intended-for-CBS taping was realized (speculation abounded, as Marcia Wallace asked, "Is this the last one?" but it was never clearly stated, as she could also have been referring to the final show of the taping week).  Hence again, no closure (and if I'm not mistaken, the show ended in the middle of a game).

Doug
« Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 10:55:39 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

SamJ93

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 11:04:44 PM »
I haven't yet seen the final ep. of the original J!, but I have seen the '78 version's finale, and Art Fleming was pretty staid about the whole thing.  Of course, that version only lasted 5 months vs. 12 years, but I would think his first send-off would be similar--classy, to the point, and grateful to both the viewers and the show staff.

Alex Trebek, on the other hand, seemed to actually ENJOY his final shows.  Of course, we all know about the infamous HR finale, but his final ep. of Battlestars was rather amusing as well.  At the top of the show he remarked, "Welcome to the new...and soon to be the old Battlestars!"  The show was also rather funny in and of itself, with both Charles Nelson Reilly and Betty White involved in a game-deciding capture with a long string of incorrect guesses by the contestants (very much like the "YOU FOOL!" incident that happened on HS 15 years later).  At the end of the show he noted that they didn't get a chance to talk to Stuart Damon... "but since this is our last show, we never will!  Goodbye everybody!"

I actually think this a good way to go out...hey, you're off the air anyway, why not ham it up just for the heck of it?  For anyone who has seen them...were Alex's goodbyes on his other shows (TTTT, Double Dare) in a similar, humorous vein?

--Sam
« Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 11:05:05 PM by SamJ93 »
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

SRIV94

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2005, 11:11:36 PM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' date=\'May 29 2005, 10:04 PM\']I actually think this a good way to go out...hey, you're off the air anyway, why not ham it up just for the heck of it?  For anyone who has seen them...were Alex's goodbyes on his other shows (TTTT, Double Dare) in a similar, humorous vein?
[snapback]86970[/snapback]
[/quote]
Not at all.  The DD finale was kind of a rush job, with Trebek announcing that the person who was ahead won $5000.  The TTTT91 finale was played very straight (with Trebek saying that he had the feeling TTTT would be back in some incarnation and that he hoped to be associated with it if it did).

Doug
Doug

geno57

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2005, 11:27:33 PM »
Does anybody remember the last session of the NBC "Match Game"? It was my favorite show during the 1960s, but I missed the swan song.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2005, 03:58:28 AM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' date=\'May 29 2005, 08:04 PM\']Alex Trebek, on the other hand, seemed to actually ENJOY his final shows.  Of course, we all know about the infamous HR finale,
[/quote]
It's only infamous if you actually think he was intoxicated. I've seen the bits that have been talked about for so long, and it completely boggles me that anyone ever even came to that conclusion in the first place, because all of that was simply Trebek being Trebek in the 70's.

Frankly, I think we as a community would do well to squelch this fallacy as soon as possible. We should start by letting it rest.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 03:58:44 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChuckNet

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 08:31:31 PM »

Guess it wasn't worth pedaling for another season. :-D

But I digress...as per CBSTVCity on the old-school ATGS, there were some subtle signs that it was the last show: during Gene's close, you can hear CNR saying "Gene, thank you, thank you...", and Betty has her attention directed towards Gene during the credits.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Neumms

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2005, 09:46:42 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 30 2005, 02:58 AM\']It's only infamous if you actually think he was intoxicated. I've seen the bits that have been talked about for so long, and it completely boggles me that anyone ever even came to that conclusion in the first place, because all of that was simply Trebek being Trebek in the 70's.

Frankly, I think we as a community would do well to squelch this fallacy as soon as possible. We should start by letting it rest.
[snapback]86990[/snapback]
[/quote]

So let me get this straight--Trebek ISN'T a raging alcoholic?

Just kidding!

gwarman2005

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2005, 10:00:04 PM »
Chuck Henry without a doubt, he looked liked he was ready to end it when he started the show.  Never mind the horrible contestants they threw at him. That was insult to injury. lol.

I think one of the best goodbyes was Bruce Forsythe's on Hot Streak.  Taking the time to thank the American work ethic and what not.  It was really classy.

zachhoran

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2005, 11:08:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'May 31 2005, 08:46 PM\']
So let me get this straight--Trebek ISN'T a raging alcoholic?

Just kidding!
[snapback]87303[/snapback]
[/quote]

An ATGS post in 2000 states that Chris Jaunsen had an interview with HR78-80 co-host Becky Price, also a girlfriend of Alex at the time(supposedly helped to break up his first marriage). Becky says that Trebek was not drunk, and just acted goofy. The link he had to the interview is out of date.