Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Early Host Firings  (Read 6988 times)

Johnissoevil

Early Host Firings
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2005, 11:40:05 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 08:29 PM\'][quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 06:59 PM\']Add to that list Bob Hilton from LMAD '90.  NBC went to Monty Hall and requested that Hilton be let go and that he take the show back over.
[snapback]87557[/snapback]
[/quote]

Is that how it happened? Cite your source please (i'm not doubting you, i've just never heard it like THAT)....
[snapback]87561[/snapback]
[/quote]

It was in a Florida newspaper back then (name escapes me, and I forget if it was a Jacksonville or Gainesville paper).  At least that's the story they printed.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Early Host Firings
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2005, 11:58:14 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 09:06 PM\']John Dorsey directed the Gong Show pilot in San Francisco. Perhaps Terry Kyne directed it until Dorsey was available?
[snapback]87577[/snapback]
[/quote]
Could be the case.  Dorsey was directing RHYME & REASON (so for roughly four weeks there could conceivably have been taping conflicts).  But Kyne and Bearde had worked together on a few projects in Canada previous to GONG, so it is my humble opinion that Kyne directing GONG was more Bearde's choice than Barris'.  Of course, I could be wrong. . .  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Adam Nedeff

Early Host Firings
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2005, 12:44:07 AM »
Didn't Wink Martindale get his "Dream Girl of '67" gig because the first host was fired? Something about getting his girlfriend a spot as a contestant on the show?

uncamark

Early Host Firings
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2005, 12:44:03 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 10:58 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 09:06 PM\']John Dorsey directed the Gong Show pilot in San Francisco. Perhaps Terry Kyne directed it until Dorsey was available?
[snapback]87577[/snapback]
[/quote]
Could be the case.  Dorsey was directing RHYME & REASON (so for roughly four weeks there could conceivably have been taping conflicts).  But Kyne and Bearde had worked together on a few projects in Canada previous to GONG, so it is my humble opinion that Kyne directing GONG was more Bearde's choice than Barris'.  Of course, I could be wrong. . .  :)
[snapback]87602[/snapback]
[/quote]

The TV Guide article I recall said that initially, "Gong" was solely Bearde's concept--Barris was in one of his "I've had it with television" funks and was willing to be the financial partner, as he had been with Bearde on "The Bobby Vinton Show."  The story is that he changed his mind the day of the pilot, when he arrived from LA late and entered the studio just as something outrageous happened which changed his mind forever.

Supposedly, the agreement was made that Bearde would supervise the syndicated version, while Barris would supervise the network version.  Of course, they shared production staff (a lot of which had more Barris connections--Milton DeLugg, for one, had worked on Barris' revival of "Your Hit Parade").  After the first season, Barris decided (with justification) that the network version had the bigger buzz and maneuvered to get Bearde out of the way completely.  Despite the barriers, he eventually succeeded--creatively, if not financially.

The Pyramids

Early Host Firings
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2005, 05:41:58 PM »
The way Ray Combs left 'Family Feud' comes to mind.

I saw once on  someone tradeing site that on one episode Ray droped a hint that Dawson was comming back, or at least that he was on his way out.

I have never seen this show. Does anyone have any recollections?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 05:42:43 PM by PaulD »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Early Host Firings
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2005, 05:48:04 PM »
Why, then, did Dorsey direct the pilot if Kyne got the series?

Don Howard

Early Host Firings
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2005, 10:50:07 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Jun 2 2005, 09:26 PM\']What about Dennis James on the nighttime 'TPIR'? I imagine it was a case of 'sorry Dennis, but the show really belongs to Bob now'.
[snapback]87584[/snapback]
[/quote]
Do please read the title of this thread. "Early host firings". Dennis lasted five years.
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\' Jun 3 2005, 4:41PM\']The way Ray Combs left 'Family Feud' comes to mind.
[snapback]87584[/snapback]
[/quote]
I beseech thee again. Read the post before replying. Ray lasted six years. Not an early dismissal.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 10:52:26 PM by Don Howard »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Early Host Firings
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2005, 11:09:38 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jun 3 2005, 04:48 PM\']Why, then, did Dorsey direct the pilot if Kyne got the series?
[snapback]87714[/snapback]
[/quote]
Obviously I can't say for sure--but there are some plausible possibilities.  It is possible that scheduling conflicts could have prevented Kyne from directing the pilot and that Dorsey was available (and someone Barris had worked with previously).  It's also possible that Bearde didn't like Dorsey even though he directed the pilot and wanted him replaced with someone he had worked with previously (then Barris wins the power struggle and starts bringing more of his people in, including Dorsey).  You're a veteran of this more than I am, but is it highly unusual that a producer/director/head writer/performer/et al gets replaced between a pilot and the first intended-for-air episode?

Not trying to argue with you by any means--GONG was a show that I have had a big interest in, so any behind-the-scenes scoop is most appreciated (I'd love to know the full story myself).

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

zachhoran

Early Host Firings
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2005, 11:09:47 PM »
The earliest firings of course would be those host who were slated to host a series and got replaced at the last minute due to producer decisions. Coming to mind is the newcomer TV Guide said would host Hot Potato in 1984, and those hosts who hosted the pilot of a show that went to series, but not the actual series

TwoInchQuad

Early Host Firings
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2005, 03:35:24 AM »
...which brings us to the person who probably lost the most from their last minute switch-- Mike Wallace.    He got passed up for a fairly steady 11-year hosting gig by getting canned from "Nothing But the Truth",  even though he actually did a pretty passable job on the 11/56 pilot .

Though to be fair, he's had a pretty good run since TTTT originally ended, in 1968.  :^)

-Kevin