Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Most Expensive Game Show Sets...  (Read 9249 times)

TimK2003

Most Expensive Game Show Sets...
« on: June 09, 2005, 11:37:46 AM »
This one popped into my head last night as I was watching an old ep. of Pitfall with Dancing Alex Trebek (the Rosemary Ep).

Anybody know or does anyone want to speculate what game shows have built the most expensive sets.  And since technology, computers and video monitors are the new norm, perhaps it would be worth listing them by decade.

•  The Magnificent Marble Machine had to be one of the 3 most expensive sets in the 70s with that giant pinball machine.

•  And I would even think Pitfall had to cost a pretty penny with 9 individual elevators or lifts.

•  And with 70+ individual games plus the set itself (which includes the audience) Price Is Right has to be in the All-Time Top 3.

Others?

And does anyone from the biz know what the average cost of a set has been over the years.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 11:43:42 AM »
PYL, with all the slide projectors and whatnot, had to cost a bit.

Same with TJW, at least by 1972 standards.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 12:24:09 PM »
I seem to recall reading an interview with Mark Goodson where he talked about how game shows have evolved and he mentioned that NBC's "Time Machine" cost some obscene amount of money to produce, like $1-2 million. I'm sure other expenses were factored in, but I'm sure the set accounted for a lot of that total.

tvrandywest

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 01:02:21 PM »
Kennedy has a great set. Small and nothing elaborate, but they're real.

Oh, you  mean...

Hundreds of thousands of dollars, even for the seemingly simple sets.  Everything is custom designed and custom built by union craftsmen. As a reference, just the PODIUM that Dirk in audio and I designed for TPiR cost $6,000. Just a podium!

I have no doubt that in today's dollars we can be in the neighborhood of a million for the most elaborate. Among the big ticket items are the custom designed and custom programmed electronics, and the big plasma screens. Of the sets I've seen recently, American Idol's could be in that ballpark.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 01:04:02 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 01:12:28 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 9 2005, 01:02 PM\']Kennedy has a great set. Small and nothing elaborate, but they're real.[/quote]
When I see Tom this summer, I'll ask him about them.

Oh, you mean....
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

passwordplus

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 02:29:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jun 9 2005, 01:12 PM\'][quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 9 2005, 01:02 PM\']Kennedy has a great set. Small and nothing elaborate, but they're real.[/quote]

Oh, you mean....
[snapback]88431[/snapback]
[/quote]

You all got jokes. Silly.

davewalls

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 03:10:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jun 9 2005, 12:12 PM\'][quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 9 2005, 01:02 PM\']Kennedy has a great set. Small and nothing elaborate, but they're real.[/quote]

Oh, you mean....
[snapback]88431[/snapback]
[/quote]

DAMN. DAMN. DAMN.
Dave Walls

http://www.davewalls.net

(insert witty comment about self here)

cmjb13

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 04:08:44 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 9 2005, 01:02 PM\']As a reference, just the PODIUM that Dirk in audio and I designed for TPiR cost $6,000. Just a podium!
[snapback]88430[/snapback]
[/quote]
My memory is a bit hazy on this, but I recall the cost to build that podium was around either $30k or $60k. To the garbage pile it went.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

tvrandywest

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 04:22:56 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jun 9 2005, 12:08 PM\'][quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 9 2005, 01:02 PM\']As a reference, just the PODIUM that Dirk in audio and I designed for TPiR cost $6,000. Just a podium!
[snapback]88430[/snapback]
[/quote]
My memory is a bit hazy on this, but I recall the cost to build that podium was around either $30k or $60k. To the garbage pile it went.
[snapback]88474[/snapback]
[/quote]
Your memory from what source?

I recall $6,000 as the estimate based on the specs and drawings. Even adding the cost of the hardware (monitor, amps, etc.) which were all recycled from and to other CBS goodies, you've got to be way off. But if you think it's worth $30,000, I'll be happy to sell you an exact re-creation for $20,000!

Consider it just another cost of doing business, just like re-painting the announcer's name at his parking space or buying another case of hair gel for Ryan Seacrest. I understand the price of the french fries went up a nickel at the commissary!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 04:27:38 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

cmjb13

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 05:36:06 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 9 2005, 04:22 PM\']Your memory from what source?
[snapback]88476[/snapback]
[/quote]
I distinctly recall being told before I was asked (I'm sure it was Rich) to guess how much it cost to build, that it was as much as some people make in a year. (which is where that high figure came from).

But you would know a hell of a lot better than I would.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 05:46:33 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 06:26:31 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jun 9 2005, 05:36 PM\']I distinctly recall being told before I was asked (I'm sure it was Rich) to guess how much it cost to build, that it was as much as some people make in a year. (which is where that high figure came from).[/quote]
Well, some people don't make $6,000 in a year.  Heck, some people don't make $100 in a year.  That was mighty flimsy data from which to make up a number.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 06:32:52 PM »
I'd guess Winning Lines was pretty damn expensive to build.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 07:25:31 PM »
I'm thinking that '76 "Break the Bank" was an expensive set.  "Password Plus" might qualify as well, especiallly considering how large it was.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

tvrandywest

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 07:30:15 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Jun 9 2005, 02:32 PM\']I'd guess Winning Lines was pretty damn expensive to build.
[snapback]88483[/snapback]
[/quote]
Pretty damn expensive, indeed. That was a monster! The people in the top row were so high they might have been visible on radar at LAX! I don't know the height of the grid in that studio at 1040 N. Las Palmas (stage 2, iirc), but that set didn't seem to leave a whole lotta space above.

I was next door on stage 1 taping the original pilot for Endemol's "Fear Factor" starring Jerry Springer (don't ask). "Winning Lines" had not aired yet, and I couldn't figure out what that set was for or what it was supposed to do. It took a closer look to realize that it was designed for a few dozen people to sit in it. I'd have had a nosebleed.

I remember hearing how Dick Clark et al had been sitting around for hours on at least one tape date before they could get the electronics to work correctly. A monster indeed!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 11:11:59 PM by tvrandywest »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005, 07:47:12 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 9 2005, 04:30 PM\']I was next door on stage 1 taping the original pilot for Endemol's "Fear Factor" starring Jerry Springer (don't ask). "Winning Lines" had not aired yet, and I couldn't figure out what that set was for or what it was supposed to do. It took a closer look to realize that it was designed for a few dozen people to sit in it. I'd have had a nosebleed.
[/quote]
How'd they get people up there, anyhow? I don't remember there being a staircase on either side, but I could be wrong about that, too.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe