Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: This Week's TV Game Show Almanac  (Read 3419 times)

AH3RD

This Week's TV Game Show Almanac
« on: June 10, 2005, 05:39:40 PM »
JUNE 9, 1981

One of the worst game show tragedies in history occurred: the untimely death of famed Password emcee Allen Ludden, at the age of 64.

Ludden was enjoying a spectacular comeback to NBC's Password+Plus, following a 4-week leave of absence to have surgery done on him for stomach cancer (Bill Cullen emceed in Ludden's stead), when suddenly, a massive stroke in October 1980 forced him off the show for good. Tom Kennedy suceeded him for the rest of the Password+Plus' run. On the series' finale in March 1982, Tom said a few kind words about Allen: "This is the last in our series of Password+Plus. Even though our dear friend Allen Ludden is not with us at this particular moment, as you well know he hosted this show as only as he could do for something like 18 years. I was very proud to have the last year and a half here at the helm. All I can say is you know the show is going to be back soon. . . ."

Ludden left behind a lovely, doting wife, Betty White, and several children (I am not sure how many). Aside from his work on Password, Ludden enceed the 1975-77 syndicated edition of Liars' Club, the ill-fated 1977 NBC game Stumpers, and, of course, his pre-Password game, the '50s favourite, GE College Bowl.

The charm, wit, friendliness, and neighbourly demeanor which had become Allen Ludden's trademark through out all of his shows would not soon be forgotten.

And it still isn't.

ALLEN LUDDEN
(1919-1981)
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 05:44:53 PM »
I could swear I read this, nearly word for word, on someone else website.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

dzinkin

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 05:46:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Jun 10 2005, 05:44 PM\']I could swear I read this, nearly word for word, on someone else website.
[snapback]88624[/snapback]
[/quote]
I could swear that you've said this before and not cited a source.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 05:56:28 PM »
IMO, it's been gently "reworded" from this site: Click Here .

I'm not hesistant to say his past entires seem to be copied nearly verbatim from the GSE.  It's my last word on the issue--it's apparent I'm beating a dead horse.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

tyshaun1

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 06:22:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Jun 10 2005, 05:56 PM\']IMO, it's been gently "reworded" from this site: Click Here .

I'm not hesistant to say his past entires seem to be copied nearly verbatim from the GSE.  It's my last word on the issue--it's apparent I'm beating a dead horse.
[snapback]88629[/snapback]
[/quote]
Or maybe the horse was never dead to begin with. I just read the link provided, and how on God's green earth do you gather that he plagarized from The Professor?

Tyshaun

dzinkin

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 06:24:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Jun 10 2005, 05:56 PM\']IMO, it's been gently "reworded" from this site: Click Here .

I'm not hesistant to say his past entires seem to be copied nearly verbatim from the GSE.
[snapback]88629[/snapback]
[/quote]
If you're complaining that the facts are the same, no kidding -- there's only one set of actual facts, after all.  However, I see significant differences between Aaron's words and Steve's, including the fact that Aaron included an entire speech that Steve merely excerpted.  It's hardly "nearly word for word" or "nearly verbatim" as you claimed.

It's my last word on the issue--it's apparent I'm beating a dead horse.
That's probably the best course.  We don't like plagiarism but we don't like poorly substantiated allegations of plagiarism either.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 06:26:24 PM by dzinkin »