Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Contestants being brought back to a show  (Read 6591 times)

cmjb13

Contestants being brought back to a show
« on: June 10, 2005, 09:50:47 PM »
After watching Rafferty's CS today, a contestant was brought back due to "technical difficulties". I guess feeling she wasn't given a fair chance (after winning about $13k).

I'm pretty sure this happened on Super Password as well.

Since we are not told what the "technical difficutly" was, anyone have a clue on what this usually consists of?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Kevin Prather

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 09:59:33 PM »
Scoreboard malfunction perhaps?

wschmrdr

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 10:58:46 PM »
With Card Sharks, it's most likely the host mis-interpreting a contestant's call. I know on the Perry version a player was given another chance at the money cards because she played her opponent's cards and not hers (since they cut the cards before a segment in case they went directly into the money cards.) Sometimes the house hears the wrong number in the survey question, and of course, that does make a difference.

On Super Password, once it was an illegal clue the person got away with, and the dude came back (it's coming up soon in the run, with Sue Zukitos). Or, it could be Bert screwing up.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 03:15:40 PM »
On rare occasion, Jeopardy will bring a contestant back because of a mistake they made, either with a clue or with a judge's ruling.  Usually, that depends further on whether the mistake affected the player's chance to win.  Someone who got cheated on a $200 clue but went on to be steamrolled by a dominant champion isn't likely to be invited back.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

76GMC

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 03:15:47 PM »
On a similar point:

Are both visits to the show counted as "one & the same" against their overall appearance record?  Also, if they played more than one match during their first visit, do they keep those winnings AND still get five more matches for this go-round?

Rick

brianhenke

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 04:46:21 PM »
Last year (or was it this?), Wheel of Fortune brought back Heather, the first Smush champion back in 2001, due to technical problems.

Brian

100 plus 100 equals 600?
The leaves start to change color in May?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 05:07:15 PM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' date=\'Jun 11 2005, 01:46 PM\']Last year (or was it this?), Wheel of Fortune brought back Heather, the first Smush champion back in 2001, due to technical problems.
[/quote]
How is this the LEAST bit relevant to the discussion?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 06:34:21 PM »
[quote name=\'76GMC\' date=\'Jun 11 2005, 03:15 PM\']On a similar point:

Are both visits to the show counted as "one & the same" against their overall appearance record?  Also, if they played more than one match during their first visit, do they keep those winnings AND still get five more matches for this go-round?[/quote]
If you're talking specifically about Jeopardy!, there is no appearance limit and hasn't been for some time.  A returning player would compete until defeated, and yes, he'd get to keep whatever money he made previously (if any).
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SplitSecond

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2005, 06:39:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Jun 11 2005, 03:34 PM\']If you're talking specifically about Jeopardy!, there is no appearance limit and hasn't been for some time.  A returning player would compete until defeated, and yes, he'd get to keep whatever money he made previously (if any).
[/quote]
On the recent Hollywood Squares, if a contestant was brought back due to a production error, she would start as though she never played the match she lost.  For instance, if she was defeated on the third match of her original appearance and she was primed to play for the second level bonus prize, her first match as a returning contestant would be considered her third overall match.  If she won that, she would still be playing for the second level bonus prize, even if the prize itself had changed.

So in essence, on that show, the original match in which the production error occurred never happened.

wschmrdr

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2005, 06:40:02 PM »
Though it wasn't very specific, I have a feeling it's relevant because it involves a contestant being brought back to a show.

I don't know how observant anyone is, but Family Double Dare also invited a family back, most likely because their opponents were ruled successful on a physical challenge when they in reality didn't complete it, which would have resulted in a tie game. (FWIW, "The Holders" and "The No-Clue Crew" are the same people, and they lost both times!)

Matt, I'd definitely understand your scenario when they get through every single clue. I don't know about time running out, though, considering the screwed-over contestant could have picked those non-revealed clues.

To answer 76's question, I believe it counts as a continuation of their appearance in which they lost. So, if a contestant were on game 4 and lost due to a production error, they would return and be on game #4.

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2005, 07:11:05 PM »
[quote name=\'wschmrdr\' date=\'Jun 11 2005, 03:40 PM\']Though it wasn't very specific, I have a feeling it's relevant because it involves a contestant being brought back to a show.
[/quote]
You're wrong.

Just because a post happens to fit an assigned topic does not automatically make it relevant to the discussion, if it doesn't have a damn thing to do with what is being discussed. And, as is Henke's usual, it didn't.

NKIT

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2005, 09:05:33 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 11 2005, 05:07 PM\'][quote name=\'brianhenke\' date=\'Jun 11 2005, 01:46 PM\']Last year (or was it this?), Wheel of Fortune brought back Heather, the first Smush champion back in 2001, due to technical problems.
[/quote]
[snapback]88694[/snapback]
[/quote]
Check the topic, genius.

dzinkin

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2005, 09:57:14 AM »
[quote name=\'NKIT\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 09:05 AM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 11 2005, 05:07 PM\'][quote name=\'brianhenke\' date=\'Jun 11 2005, 01:46 PM\']Last year (or was it this?), Wheel of Fortune brought back Heather, the first Smush champion back in 2001, due to technical problems.
[/quote]
[snapback]88694[/snapback]
[/quote]
Check the topic, genius.
[snapback]88733[/snapback]
[/quote]
He did.  The original poster's question was:

Since we are not told what the "technical difficutly" was, anyone have a clue on what this usually consists of?
Please explain how Brian's post answers that question in any way.

Don Howard

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2005, 10:10:44 AM »
[quote name=\'NKIT\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 08:05 AM\']Check the topic, genius.
[snapback]88733[/snapback]
[/quote]
You need to leave. Good bye, good luck, God bless you, here's a carton of Winston's.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 10:11:34 AM by Don Howard »

clemon79

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2005, 02:33:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 07:10 AM\']You need to leave. Good bye, good luck, God bless you, here's a carton of Winston's.
[/quote]
Naw, he doesn't. I've dealt with his type before. Believe me, I can handle this. :)

[quote name=\'NKIT\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 08:05 AM\']Check the topic, genius.
[/quote]
Read the following really slowly so you'll be certain to understand it. With the exception of "anecdote" and "relevant", I tried my best to use simple words:

If I put up a post entitled "Concentration Double Play", and asked someone who remembered better than I did how many seconds the contestant got in the round (yes, I already know, Zach), and some idiot replied that the contestant had to solve 2 puzzles to win, and followed it up with some anecdote about how their Aunt Martha was on the show once but failed to win Double Play, would that be relevant?

If your answer is "yes", then you have a lot to learn about how message boards work, and should probably go back to AOL for further instruction.

If your answer is "no", then you can tell me what the difference is between that and Henke's waste of bandwidth.

And thank you for recognizing my genius. :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 02:33:28 PM by clemon79 »