Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Contestants being brought back to a show  (Read 6588 times)

NKIT

Contestants being brought back to a show
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2005, 04:50:54 PM »
The topic is "Contestants being brought back to a show"....PERIOD.  So why don't you leave the guy alone??!

BTW, I've dealt with YOUR kind also, Mr. "Lemon."  You're the kind that harrasses other posters while contributing NOTHING of value yourself.  Well I'm afraid you've met your match this time.  So don't dish it out if you can't take it.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2005, 05:39:12 PM »
Wow, that didn't work out so well for him, did it? :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 05:42:09 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2005, 05:44:59 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 01:33 PM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 07:10 AM\']You need to leave. Good bye, good luck, God bless you, here's a carton of Winston's.
[/quote]
Naw, he doesn't. I've dealt with his type before. Believe me, I can handle this. :)
[snapback]88750[/snapback]
[/quote]
I believe you. God help him.
Back to topic, it seemed as though players on Scrabble were brought back quite a bit because of a technical problem creating a disadvantage. Jay and Charlie would mention at the end of more than a few programs that a word was inadvertently revealed and then replaced, which would sometimes result in a Sprint round being replayed, which could have initially knocked out a contestant who may have had a great sprint time; but a chyron goof with the second challenger going for the same words may have forced the replaying. I'm guessing that was one tough show to chyron.

Don Howard

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2005, 05:46:52 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 04:39 PM\']Wow, that didn't work out so well for him, did it? :)
[snapback]88764[/snapback]
[/quote]
I tried to warn him. Now he doesn't even get the cigarettes. Give our best to Ralph Story, Desp.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 05:47:25 PM by Don Howard »

wschmrdr

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2005, 06:38:06 PM »
I believe that this what is trying ot happen is pretty much a happening of regular conversation. In a normal conversation, a question is usually answered, and develops into talking about something similar to the general topic, but not to specifics, since the specifics has already been covered.

Maybe what would have been appropriate (myself included) is to ask a question about contestants being brought back to a show, rather than to simply post information about another show, because it seems to promote more discussion. I think with the "Concentration Double Play" scenario, if the nephew had given information about how double play works and then said that they know this because the aunt had previous experience, it would be appropriate.

With that, I am going to ask if anyone knows if the Scrabble players were given another chance with game problems. I recall in 1987 episodes Charlie Tuna said, "Due to technical problems, (insert round here) was replaced and the program edited." Do you think it was treated as a "throw out the puzzle and we'll go with another one to make it fair", or did they play it out, and the losing player was given another chance?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2005, 12:43:31 AM »
[quote name=\'wschmrdr\' date=\'Jun 12 2005, 03:38 PM\']I believe that this what is trying ot happen is pretty much a happening of regular conversation.
[/quote]
Yeah, you'd be wrong.
In a normal conversation, a question is usually answered, and develops into talking about something similar to the general topic, but not to specifics, since the specifics has already been covered.
Yeah, and obvious non-sequiturs usually get a "what the HELL are you talking about?" too.
Maybe what would have been appropriate (myself included) is to ask a question about contestants being brought back to a show, rather than to simply post information about another show, because it seems to promote more discussion.
What would have been appropriate would have been to stay the hell on-topic.
I think with the "Concentration Double Play" scenario, if the nephew had given information about how double play works and then said that they know this because the aunt had previous experience, it would be appropriate.
Because the question would have been answered, yes.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2005, 03:01:50 PM »
To add on to the confusion:

On the original "Squares" daytime version, if a contestant was brought back due to an error, their previous game score was shown and then Peter Marshall would give them $200 for the error, so they would be at the level they lost at plus $200.  (To review, "each game is worth $200, we play a best-two-out-of-three-game match for $400, once day we play the Secret Square game, we'll play that game after we complete the one in progress...")

I don't know if there was ever an instance of a contestant with $1,800 brought back, Peter giving them another $200 and then sending them back off with the car or the $10,000 prize package.