Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Anyone auditioned for Millionaire?  (Read 4810 times)

jasonatsmtc

Anyone auditioned for Millionaire?
« on: June 13, 2005, 12:47:06 AM »
Hi,
has anyone here gone to one of the auditions for the syndicated version of millionaire? If someone has,could they please post here with some info on the written test?
I am going to take it next week, and was hoping for some kind of a heads up!
Thanks in advance
Jason

cmjb13

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 06:28:34 AM »
I took it last year when audience members had the chance to audition.

I dont' recall how many questions were on it, but they pretty much ran the board on categories/information. Tougher than I thought it would be.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 09:19:17 AM »
Thirty questions, from $100-$1 million difficulty (or, at least some of them seem that high).  Four choices, just like on the show.  You have ten minutes to complete the test, which should be more than enough time to get through it.  The questions cover all types of knowledge that you might encounter on the show: I recall both a question about "King of the Hill" and nuclear physics.

Ten people out of 250 made it past that phase of the audition.  Coming from someone who didn't get out of round 1a, I have these bits of advice.

1.  Get every single question right.  Because I'm sure I got at least 25 right, and it wasn't enough to move on.
2.  Ten minutes is more than enough time to read through each question, the choices, and to figure out the right answer (if you know it).  Take your time.
3.  Don't be discouraged if you don't make it.  The odds say you won't.  If you DO win, well done.  Have fun with the whole experience.
Travis L. Eberle

cmjb13

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 09:35:24 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Jun 13 2005, 09:19 AM\']1.  Get every single question right.  Because I'm sure I got at least 25 right, and it wasn't enough to move on.
[/quote]
True. I understand the cut-off point is no more than having 2 or 3 questions wrong.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Steve McClellan

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 03:14:17 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Jun 13 2005, 06:35 AM\']True. I understand the cut-off point is no more than having 2 or 3 questions wrong.[/quote]
Now, I'm wondering if this is the same for the pre-season auditions as for the ones in the audience. ISTR about 1/4-1/3 of my group passing (July '03). I probably missed 4 or 5, and I ended up with sixteen large to show for my efforts. Our OP may have a somewhat better shot from getting in early.

As Travis the E said, it's 30 questions. You just fill in a Scantron form, so they can grade them quite quickly. When I took the test, we had 11 minutes, and I don't recall nearly the complaints about difficulty from the people around me, compared to the ones from more recent test-takers. They may have made things more difficult on all fronts. But yes, questions from subjects as varied as the ones that they ask about on the show. I thought most of the ones on my test belonged in the 4K-16K range but, as alluded to earlier, that may have changed.

However, the thing you really want to pay attention to before your audition date, is what to do if you pass the test. Come prepared with loads of interesting things to say about yourself, including what you'd do with a megabuck. The answers you write on your information form will make up the basis of the interview, so provide things that you can make some interesting conversation about. For most people, coming up with interesting things about themselves is the hardest part. If you'd like, I can send you a copy of the form from two years ago. Some of the questions have changed, but it should at least give you an idea of what they're looking for. If you're interested, click the "Card" icon below and to the left to contact me.

Best of luck with the auditon; let us---me, at least :) ---know how it goes!

goongas

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 03:30:58 PM »
My best estimate (from sources other than myself) is 25 is a passing score.  Of course, they can change this at anytime.  Usually when I take Millionaire or J! tests I think I got more right than I actually did when I look up the answers at home.

jasonatsmtc

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 09:51:39 PM »
WOW! Thanks for the replys guys!
My brother and I have been practicing for the test using the online version and we have the boardgame with tons of questions.  We have been going through them like flash cards.  I saw a question from that boardgame used on the show quite recently in fact,so I figure if it helps me answer 1 question that I would not have known, it will be worth it!
If anyone has a copy of the form they filled out to audition i would love to see it!
Thanks everyone for the info! And I will post my forms here soon so that you can critique it for me!
Jason

cmjb13

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 06:53:10 AM »
[quote name=\'jasonatsmtc\' date=\'Jun 13 2005, 09:51 PM\']If anyone has a copy of the form they filled out to audition i would love to see it!
[snapback]88927[/snapback]
[/quote]
I have the forms. E-mail me if you want them.

wschmrdr

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 12:39:25 AM »
When I went to a Jeopardy Brain Bus event, I was talking to some of the people in line for the test, and one of them had tried out for millionaire.

They told me that when you go in for the interview, you shouldn't act like you've watched the show religiously. Rather, you should seem as if you were walking down Broadway, just heard that the show was auditioning, and you decided to give it a shot. This comes from a person that was on the Regis taping but didn't quite make the hot seat, and later tried for Meredith's version.

I'm also thinking of trying out for the show, and all this information is very helpful.

jasonatsmtc

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2005, 01:16:43 AM »
[quote name=\'wschmrdr\' date=\'Jun 15 2005, 12:39 AM\']When I went to a Jeopardy Brain Bus event, I was talking to some of the people in line for the test, and one of them had tried out for millionaire.

They told me that when you go in for the interview, you shouldn't act like you've watched the show religiously. Rather, you should seem as if you were walking down Broadway, just heard that the show was auditioning, and you decided to give it a shot. This comes from a person that was on the Regis taping but didn't quite make the hot seat, and later tried for Meredith's version.

I'm also thinking of trying out for the show, and all this information is very helpful.
[snapback]89089[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hmmm...interesting point!
So I should not go into my rigerous training routine??LOL
Anyway, if anyone has any forms or anything else related to this that they can send me, please send it to: jasonatsmtc@hotmail.com
Thanks a lot guys!
(i want to hear more info on the test if anyone else has any experiance/tips!)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2005, 05:27:17 AM »
[quote name=\'wschmrdr\' date=\'Jun 14 2005, 09:39 PM\']They told me that when you go in for the interview, you shouldn't act like you've watched the show religiously.
[/quote]
Right. Because they don't want a Comic Book Guy in the seat.

Of course, if you ARE a Comic Book Guy, and you try to hide it, it'll prolly show.

"Best. Gameshow. Ever."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

wschmrdr

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2005, 02:29:10 PM »
You can go into your rigorous training routine AFTER you get picked from the contestant pool. I'm sure there are many people online who could help you out by firing questions at you. I believe Modor owns a site where the members can help, or just send a few willing people a wire on the ol' AIM.

Say, in speaking of the not watch the show tecnique, I wonder if you could get away with "I watched when Regis was on, but I didn't know Meredith was doing it again."

Peter Sarrett

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2005, 02:29:39 PM »
[quote name=\'jasonatsmtc\' date=\'Jun 14 2005, 09:16 PM\']So I should not go into my rigerous training routine??LOL
(i want to hear more info on the test if anyone else has any experiance/tips!)
[/quote]
No, but you might want to bone up on your spelling.  =)

jasonatsmtc

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2005, 04:59:46 PM »
[quote name=\'wschmrdr\' date=\'Jun 15 2005, 02:29 PM\']You can go into your rigorous training routine AFTER you get picked from the contestant pool. I'm sure there are many people online who could help you out by firing questions at you. I believe Modor owns a site where the members can help, or just send a few willing people a wire on the ol' AIM.

Say, in speaking of the not watch the show tecnique, I wonder if you could get away with "I watched when Regis was on, but I didn't know Meredith was doing it again."
[snapback]89178[/snapback]
[/quote]

Once you are in the pool, is it only a matter of time? or is there still a random picking procedure to get through before you get on...

Steve McClellan

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2005, 06:14:20 PM »
[quote name=\'jasonatsmtc\' date=\'Jun 15 2005, 01:59 PM\']Once you are in the pool, is it only a matter of time? or is there still a random picking procedure to get through before you get on...[/quote]
Once you're in the pool, you've done everything you need to do to get on the show and into the hot seat. Bone up on your strategy and maybe a weak subject area or two, sit back, and wait for the call. If you've gotten the favorable postcard, especially from this early an audition, your chances of getting the call are quite good.