Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Ultimate TV Game Show Book  (Read 9046 times)

Mrs. GameShow

The Ultimate TV Game Show Book
« on: June 13, 2005, 07:43:13 PM »
Hey guys, I have some new news about Fred and Steve's book.  They have asked me to post the below message.
Mrs. Game Show

Hello to all of our friends, fans and co-workers…

We know you have been patiently waiting for volume 1 of The Ultimate TV Game Show Book.  So have we!  We are happy to announce that our book has finally been released.  However, please be advised that Bonus Books will be recalling the first printing because of numerous printing errors throughout the book.  This recall only includes the first 1000 books printed.  In this first printing there are dozens and dozens of photographs have been printed incorrectly as approved by the authors and publisher.  The problems occur on several levels.  Some photos are printed in a reduced form and some photos are cropped incorrectly.  Here’s an example from page 181 where both problems occur.  The photo of Alex Trebek is printed at a 40% reduction (postage stamp size) and Alex Trebek has actually been decapitated.  Some of our co-workers have opted to hang on to this printer’s blooper edition.  Who knows, maybe this printing will turn into a collectable.  You be the judge, should you become the owner of the blooper edition.

Steve Ryan & Fred Wostbrock

Don Howard

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 05:02:29 AM »
[quote name=\'Mrs. GameShow\' date=\'Jun 13 2005, 06:43 PM\']Alex Trebek has actually been decapitated
[snapback]88914[/snapback]
[/quote]
The ghost of Art Fleming strikes!

TimK2003

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 06:59:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Mrs. GameShow\' date=\'Jun 13 2005, 06:43 PM\']
We know you have been patiently waiting for volume 1 of The Ultimate TV Game Show Book.  So have we!  We are happy to announce that our book has finally been released.  However, please be advised that Bonus Books will be recalling the first printing because of numerous printing errors throughout the book.
[snapback]88914[/snapback]
[/quote]

Aha!  So that's why I have been getting bombarded with e-mails from amazon.com asking me to update my credit card info in the last week!  I totally forgot about my ordering it a year or so ago!!  Thanks for the heads up.

Now the $64,000 Question is if I get a blooper book, should I keep it, or should I trade it for the book behind curtain #1, or do I double my order and get one of each?

Mrs. GameShow

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 07:28:42 PM »
Hmmm!!  That's a decision that you need to make.  :)
Keep me posted.

Also, if you don't already know, Steve has an online store on his website for some of his other books.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 07:56:09 PM »
You really should get the blooper book now before they become rarities on ebay.  Buy one regular and one blooper.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 08:23:29 PM »
I think you folks are vastly overestimating the collectibility of a badly-printed game show book.

Of course, there are people among us who are willing to pay three figures for a picture of Dick Clark, so maybe I'm completely wrong.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

calliaume

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 09:21:09 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 14 2005, 07:23 PM\']I think you folks are vastly overestimating the collectibility of a badly-printed game show book.
[snapback]89061[/snapback]
[/quote]

Or any book, for that matter.

Either the publisher decided they could get by without seeing the book in proofs, or the printer did a really lousy job.  Doesn't really matter - it's not work keeping either way.

catkins522

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 05:05:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Mrs. GameShow\' date=\'Jun 13 2005, 06:43 PM\']The problems occur on several levels.  Some photos are printed in a reduced form and some photos are cropped incorrectly.  Here’s an example from page 181 where both problems occur.  The photo of Alex Trebek is printed at a 40% reduction (postage stamp size) and Alex Trebek has actually been decapitated.  [/quote]

Yeah!  I got the blooper book!  Alex Trebek is on p. 161, not p. 181.  Several photos are very small or misaligned.

Thank you Mrs. Game Show!

Charles Atkins
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 05:06:46 PM »
[quote name=\'catkins522\' date=\'Jun 17 2005, 02:05 PM\']Yeah!  I got the blooper book! 
[/quote]
Wow.

tvwxman

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 05:37:11 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 17 2005, 04:06 PM\'][quote name=\'catkins522\' date=\'Jun 17 2005, 02:05 PM\']Yeah!  I got the blooper book! 
[/quote]
Wow.
[snapback]89371[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

How's the content? And where can I get a normal , correctly 'edited' book?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 05:43:53 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Jun 17 2005, 02:37 PM\']Well, one man's trash is another man's treasure.
[/quote]
Yes, but I think these people are gonna find that 50 years from now, when they post this on Ebay thinking they have something rare and special, that their "treasure" is in fact everyone else's trash. :)

TraderRob

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 12:36:59 AM »
My roommate had actually ordered this for me back around Christmastime and it arrived today - and I'm actually glad to hear that they are recalling this printing because right from the Introduction on page 1 where the word 'the' is spelled 'thie', there were mistakes abound with photo captions being incorrect or a 1x1 photo right above a 4x6 photo.   Someone at the publishing company didn't do a very good job of proofing this book.   And poor Alex...

But if you can get past this, Steve and Fred did a *phenomenal* job with what I'd call the first ever Game Show Book Of Lists.   The tribute to Bill Cullen is first-rate as well!

Keep us posted as to when the revised version hits the stores!!!

Rob

TimK2003

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2005, 05:25:03 PM »
[quote name=\'TraderRob\' date=\'Jun 20 2005, 11:36 PM\']I'm actually glad to hear that they are recalling this printing because right from the Introduction on page 1 where the word 'the' is spelled 'thie', there were mistakes abound with photo captions being incorrect or a 1x1 photo right above a 4x6 photo.   Someone at the publishing company didn't do a very good job of proofing this book.   And poor Alex...

But if you can get past this, Steve and Fred did a *phenomenal* job with what I'd call the first ever Game Show Book Of Lists.   The tribute to Bill Cullen is first-rate as well!

Keep us posted as to when the revised version hits the stores!!!

[snapback]89603[/snapback]
[/quote]

Got my copy from amazon.com today, I spent about 10 minutes leafing through the pictures alone!  

I would have to say that the copy I got is more than just a blooper book -- it is far worse than that!  Just in the category of mis-cropped or mis-sized photos alone, IMHO, it's not worth keeping.  

Perhaps if there was only 1 or 2 gleaming errors in the book, or if it there was maybe a few 'unauthorized' pictures that were not supposed to be in the book, then maybe I'd keep it for rarity value.  But I'll be waiting on how to swap out for a revised edition in the weeks to come.

Overall, I like the concept behind the making of this book.  If you are into pre-90's Rock & Roll music, there is a book (sans pictures) that is equally as good called "The (New) Book of Rock Lists" by Dave Marsh (Simon & Schuster).  It is pretty much follows the same vein as the Game Show book.

Mrs. GS, let us know where & when we can get the updated copy!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2005, 06:46:58 PM »
I gotta Ask-the-Audience on this.

The book has been in preparation for at least a year.  At least.  I don't pretend to know how hard it is to put together a book like this, but I would think that they would try to have all of the books be 100% in terms of quality.  Instead, we have people cheering that they got a foobared copy.

To me, it would have been far more prudent to make us geeks wait a few more months (weeks?) to have a good product, as opposed to rushing something to print, then having to recall it.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2005, 06:53:50 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Jun 22 2005, 03:46 PM\']To me, it would have been far more prudent to make us geeks wait a few more months (weeks?) to have a good product, as opposed to rushing something to print, then having to recall it.
[/quote]
Or, alternately, secure in the knowledge that there are fools in this hobby that will pay big coin for faulty merchandise, they rushed it to print knowing that they could sell some people two books instead of one.