Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dick Clark  (Read 3015 times)

geno57

Dick Clark
« on: June 15, 2005, 10:38:28 AM »
Haven't heard anything about him lately, since I don't touch the supermarket tabloids. Anybody heard anything about how he's doing?

tvrandywest

Dick Clark
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 03:04:09 PM »
I hear that Dick is making progress in rehab; there can be continued improvement over time for many, many months after a stroke. But Dick has suffered what appear to be permanent losses of function. I think it's safe to say that you will not see Dick as you remember him.  Just the same, I'm told there is hope that adequate compensations can be made so that he can appear next New Year's eve.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Dick Clark
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 03:25:52 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 15 2005, 12:04 PM\']Just the same, I'm told there is hope that adequate compensations can be made so that he can appear next New Year's eve.
[/quote]
By this, do they mean "smiling and waving", or an actual active speaking role on the show? I do understand if you can't or don't wish to say more, but I'm wondering just how much function was lost.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

bclark71

Dick Clark
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 04:35:20 PM »
I'm hoping that his "losses of function" are more the walking and moving about functions than his ability to speak (if a broadcaster has to lose something, the loss of communication skills would be the worst)....

Maybe he can sit instead of stand in Times Square....

[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 15 2005, 02:25 PM\'][quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Jun 15 2005, 12:04 PM\']Just the same, I'm told there is hope that adequate compensations can be made so that he can appear next New Year's eve.
[/quote]
By this, do they mean "smiling and waving", or an actual active speaking role on the show? I do understand if you can't or don't wish to say more, but I'm wondering just how much function was lost.
[snapback]89188[/snapback]
[/quote]

clemon79

Dick Clark
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 05:02:32 PM »
[quote name=\'bclark71\' date=\'Jun 15 2005, 01:35 PM\']Maybe he can sit instead of stand in Times Square....
[/quote]
I'm with you. Remember, the last year he did the show, he had the good sense to come in from the cold and do the show in what I refer to as the ABC2000 studio. They could sit him behind a desk quite easily.

Unfortunately, the fact that everything we've heard of his progress is coming from Randy and we haven't heard so much of a peep from The Man Himself (and I capitalize that out of the UTMOST respect) does not fill me with the highest of hopes. Nothing would make me happier than to be proven wrong, though.

joe_capitano

Dick Clark
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 05:05:53 PM »
Accomodating DC shouldn't be any problem as long as he's up to it. He's got the "million dollar view" overlooking Times Square from the multipurpose ABC studio there. He doesn't even have to do any moving about. All he needs is a desk and stool. I just hope he makes continued progress so he can make a triumphant return as host.

Short of that, let's maybe bring in someone who can handle the live segments better than Regis did. Much as I like Reege, he was not in top form for the 2005 gig. Maybe Tom Bergeron?

clemon79

Dick Clark
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2005, 05:10:21 PM »
[quote name=\'joe_capitano\' date=\'Jun 15 2005, 02:05 PM\']Maybe Tom Bergeron?
[/quote]
Sure, why not, Tom does everything ELSE for ABC... :)

(That's not a complaint, I love Tom, and I'm sure I would have dismissed Dancing With The Stars as crap were he not hosting it. But man, if Art Freakin' James was considered "NBC's Secret Weapon" in his day... :))