Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Password dispute?  (Read 3830 times)

TonicBH

Password dispute?
« on: July 05, 2005, 11:34:09 AM »
Alright, so we're wrapping up the show for that day, and the last Alphabetics with Barbara Rhoades with the contestant.

We go to "P" and the password is "Pencil". Barbara said "pen" but was not hit for an illegal clue. The contestant won $5,000, and to my knowledge, no mention of the dispute was there.

I thought the rule of Password was that you could not use part of the password as a clue?
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

MikeK

• Martha!
Password dispute?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 01:12:47 PM »
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' date=\'Jul 5 2005, 11:34 AM\']We go to "P" and the password is "Pencil". Barbara said "pen" but was not hit for an illegal clue. The contestant won $5,000, and to my knowledge, no mention of the dispute was there.

I thought the rule of Password was that you could not use part of the password as a clue?[/quote]
There have been times when part of the word has been used, like sixteen for "seventeen" or Sunday for "Monday".

I recall either pen being given for "pencil" or vice versa on an earlier P+ ep. since GSN readded it to the lineup.  It was a valid clue then as well.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 04:24:10 PM by hmtriplecrown »

uncamark

Password dispute?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 02:16:55 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Jul 5 2005, 12:12 PM\'][quote name=\'TonicBH\' date=\'Jul 5 2005, 11:34 AM\']We go to "P" and the password is "Pencil". Barbara said "pen" but was not hit for an illegal clue. The contestant won $5,000, and to my knowledge, no mention of the dispute was there.

I thought the rule of Password was that you could not use part of the password as a clue?[/quote]
There have been times when part of the word has been used, like sixteen for "seventeen" or Sunday for "Monday".
[snapback]90794[/snapback]
[/quote]

Seems to me that Ludden once referred to it as the "grandmother/grandfather" rule.  (Which, of course, breaks "Password Plus"' no-opposites rule.)  I don't think "pen/pencil" is the same thing, so I would've buzzed it--but Robbie Sherman was a lot more lenient than Dr. Reason A. Goodwin, Dr. Caroline Duncan or me.

Unrealtor

Password dispute?
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 02:29:03 PM »
It's not exactly the same rules, but I remember that in the first few weeks of "Super Password," there were a couple cases where using half of a compound word was acceptable.

My impression (and if I'm wrong, someone with more knowledge may feel free to correct me) is that the clue can appear in the password, but the password cannot appear in the clue. Thus "pen" is legal for "pencil," but not vice versa.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Neumms

Password dispute?
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 01:51:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Unrealtor\' date=\'Jul 5 2005, 01:29 PM\']My impression (and if I'm wrong, someone with more knowledge may feel free to correct me) is that the clue can appear in the password, but the password cannot appear in the clue. Thus "pen" is legal for "pencil," but not vice versa.
[snapback]90801[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not that I have more knowledge, but that's what I recall, too. You, however, explained it MUCH more clearly than Bert did.

14gameshows

Password dispute?
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005, 02:54:50 PM »
QUOTE(Unrealtor @ Jul 5 2005, 01:29 PM)
My impression (and if I'm wrong, someone with more knowledge may feel free to correct me) is that the clue can appear in the password, but the password cannot appear in the clue. Thus "pen" is legal for "pencil," but not vice versa.

I think this rule would be true, if the password was EXPLOSIVE, and the clue given was EXPLODE.  

However a pen is one writing tool, while a pencil is another writing tool.  Also it shouldn't be considered opposites as though most people either use a pencil or a pen, but you can also use a crayon to write with or a Sharpie as another example.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Password dispute?
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 03:33:14 PM »
[quote name=\'14gameshows\' date=\'Jul 6 2005, 11:54 AM\']I think this rule would be true, if the password was EXPLOSIVE, and the clue given was EXPLODE. 
[/quote]
There is no way in nine blue hells that "explode" would be accepted as a clue for "explosive".
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
Password dispute?
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 04:04:05 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 6 2005, 03:33 PM\'][quote name=\'14gameshows\' date=\'Jul 6 2005, 11:54 AM\']I think this rule would be true, if the password was EXPLOSIVE, and the clue given was EXPLODE. 
[/quote]
There is no way in nine blue hells that "explode" would be accepted as a clue for "explosive".[/quote]

I second that. It's a form of the word, and those are only OK if the receiver gives them. I'd buzz that one without hesitation.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Password dispute?
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 05:14:16 PM »
"Form of the word" does not mean "contained within the word". Pen and pencil are two different words meaning two different things; one is not a form of the other. Likewise "stock" and "stocking", "bag" and "bagel" and  "test" and (part of the male reproductive system); they mean totally different things.

Explode/explosive/explosion would be considered forms of the same word as the verb/adjective/noun of the same root.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
Password dispute?
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005, 07:14:01 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 6 2005, 05:14 PM\']Explode/explosive/explosion would be considered forms of the same word as the verb/adjective/noun of the same root.
[/quote]

So, just so I'm clear on this, would you say that Explode for Explosive is a legal clue?

Kevin Prather

Password dispute?
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2005, 07:34:45 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' date=\'Jul 6 2005, 04:14 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 6 2005, 05:14 PM\']Explode/explosive/explosion would be considered forms of the same word as the verb/adjective/noun of the same root.
[/quote]

So, just so I'm clear on this, would you say that Explode for Explosive is a legal clue?
[snapback]90923[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wow. Just. Freaking. Wow.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Password dispute?
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2005, 08:36:48 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jul 6 2005, 04:34 PM\']Wow. Just. Freaking. Wow.
[/quote]

*sniff* I feel like a proud father. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe