Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Treasure Hunt Question?  (Read 9307 times)

DrBear

Treasure Hunt Question?
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2003, 03:56:21 PM »
FWIW, I remember in Maxene Fabe's book - which was writtten shortly after the show was on - that the first anybody heard that the big prize had been picked was when Emile would lean over in the control room and notify the producer (or was it director), who would then inform those needing to know during the break.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

uncamark

Treasure Hunt Question?
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2003, 04:37:52 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Aug 11 2003, 02:56 PM\']FWIW, I remember in Maxene Fabe's book - which was writtten shortly after the show was on - that the first anybody heard that the big prize had been picked was when Emile would lean over in the control room and notify the producer (or was it director), who would then inform those needing to know during the break.[/quote]
To be more exact, Mr. Auturi told the control room when Geoff first peeked into the box--so no one knew until that moment.  It was then Geoff's job to stall until the stagehands were ready to drop the balloons and John Dorsey had told everyone to call off the skit and he got the cue to proceed.

I also understand from the Fabe book that the S&P person who supervised the drawing of the number before each taping also knew because s/he accompanied Emile on the set and watched him take out whatever was in the box and place the check (with curtains drawn around the set).  I assume the S&P person was at the producer's table and informed Mike Metzger (or whoever was taking his place if he was in a skit) when Geoff peeked into the box.

PeterMarshallFan

Treasure Hunt Question?
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2003, 04:44:23 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Aug 11 2003, 09:40 AM\'] SPeaking of Geoff, has he been told of this board? He'd probably be willing to post on a troll-free game show board as he did in the past, if he had interest and/or time to do so. [/quote]
 I wish he would find this board....then it would be like the old home again.

tvrandywest

Treasure Hunt Question?
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2003, 08:54:12 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Aug 11 2003, 03:37 PM\'] To be more exact, Mr. Auturi told the control room when Geoff first peeked into the box--so no one knew until that moment.  It was then Geoff's job to stall until the stagehands were ready to drop the balloons and John Dorsey had told everyone to call off the skit and he got the cue to proceed.

I also understand from the Fabe book that the S&P person who supervised the drawing of the number before each taping also knew because s/he accompanied Emile on the set and watched him take out whatever was in the box and place the check (with curtains drawn around the set).  I assume the S&P person was at the producer's table and informed Mike Metzger (or whoever was taking his place if he was in a skit) when Geoff peeked into the box. [/quote]
 To be even \"more exact\"...  

Fabe recounts the selection of the winning number and the placement of the check as you describe it. S&P and Arturi are the only two who have the information.

Fabe goes on to say that \"at the precise moment the box is opened the CBS S&P rep, now stationed in the control room, informs the game's director. Edwards now has the task of stalling the contestant so that staff can get ready to stage the particularly torturous skit it has previously worked out for just this moment\".

Anally yours,

Randy
tvrandywest

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Treasure Hunt Question?
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2003, 09:33:32 PM »
[quote name=\'AZAndrewG\' date=\'Aug 11 2003, 12:50 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 11 2003, 12:07 PM\']So, what, did someone else put the number of the winning box in Geoff's jacket that he would pull out at the end of the show?[/quote]
No, Emile handed the card to Geoff right after saying, "Yes, I did." [/quote]
 Huh. I coulda sworn Geoff reached into his jacket to get the card while Emile was fetching the winning box. Color me corrected.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

beatlefreak84

Treasure Hunt Question?
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2003, 11:23:01 PM »
To add in a little more, according to Geoff himself a while back, he told me that, when the contestant picked the box with the big check (on both runs), the producers told him how much time he had to use before revealing the check.  This would not only allow him to build up the suspense and keep the flow of the show even, but also to let the crew get the balloons ready for dropping!

And, just to reiterate another point, yes, Emile handed Geoff the little slip with the number on it at the end of the show.

Hope this helps!

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™