Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Password Rules  (Read 9066 times)

Steve McClellan

Password Rules
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2005, 05:31:30 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Jul 7 2005, 02:20 PM\']
"adios" is now considered a common English word
It matters not. If you say "rouge" for "red", you've said the password but in a different language.[/quote]
...or named a cosmetic product designed to turn cheeks that color. Where does one draw the line with words that are common in both English and another language? Would you have my clue declared illegal, even if I don't know a lick of French?

This can be debated back and forth ad nauseam. Forget about Bobby Sherman's rules; should a player be allowed to give a direct translation as a clue?
Personally, I'd say it's okay if said foreign word is also a valid English word and/or so prevalent that it's made its way into dictionaries, e.g., adios, amore. It won't work for enough words to make a travesty of the game.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 05:33:06 PM by Steve McClellan »

mbclev

Password Rules
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2005, 01:32:14 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' date=\'Jul 7 2005, 04:31 PM\']
This can be debated back and forth ad nauseam. Forget about Bobby Sherman's rules; should a player be allowed to give a direct translation as a clue?
Personally, I'd say it's okay if said foreign word is also a valid English word and/or so prevalent that it's made its way into dictionaries, e.g., adios, amore. It won't work for enough words to make a travesty of the game.
[snapback]90983[/snapback]
[/quote]

I remember Dick Martin on one show giving the clue "nom" for "name" and he wasn't flagged for an illegal clue, so it's okay in this case.