Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bob Eubanks to receive special Emmy  (Read 4953 times)

Robair

--Robair

Winkfan

Bob Eubanks to receive special Emmy
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 08:05:19 PM »
But keep in mind that Bob's getting this honor for describing parade floats and equestrian units, not for asking 'whoopee questions.' The latter is reserved for the Daytime Emmy folk, and those fatheads are STILL slow as molasses when it comes to honoring men like Eubanks who have knocked their brains out for years and have nothing but snubs and critical barbs to show for it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Daytime Emmy folk give their next special honor to Rip Torn before they give one to Eubanks!

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Autumn Hargis of the Big Board!'
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 08:12:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Jul 14 2005, 05:05 PM\']I wouldn't be surprised if the Daytime Emmy folk give their next special honor to Rip Torn before they give one to Eubanks!
[/quote]
I'm not entirely sure Torn isn't more deserving.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Don Howard

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 11:02:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' date=\'Jul 14 2005, 07:05 PM\']those fatheads are STILL slow as molasses when it comes to honoring men like Eubanks
[snapback]91455[/snapback]
[/quote]
Fatheads!!!! I love it. Since you're the resident historian on the man, how many if any honors were bestowed on Bud Collyer during his storied career in the biz that is show?
And back to topic, does Bob's version of the Tournament Of Roses Parade with the former co-host of A.M. America televise nationally? All I see is that fathead Al Roker with fellow fathead Katie Couric and all their teeth providing inciteful commentary.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 11:02:34 PM by Don Howard »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 11:15:31 PM »
Bob's & Stephanie Edwards's coverage was on either H&G or Travel Channel.  I did catch part of it here in the hinterlands.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 06:05:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Jul 14 2005, 10:15 PM\']Bob's & Stephanie Edwards's coverage was on either H&G or Travel Channel.  I did catch part of it here in the hinterlands.
[snapback]91468[/snapback]
[/quote]

At one time KTLA syndicated their Rose Parade telecast.  Considering that it's on two-out-of-the-Big-3 broadcast networks and HGTV, they don't anymore.

HGTV does their own coverage, which is commercial-free, as I believe KTLA's coverage is (does KTTV still do Rose Parade coverage?--although I shudder to think of them doing it with Dorothy Lucey and Jillian Boob-erie).

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 06:31:34 PM »
If the Daytime Emmy panel gave an award for "big mouth", "jerk", and "narcissism", Eubanks would make a Triple Play.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 07:31:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Jul 15 2005, 03:31 PM\']If the Daytime Emmy panel gave an award for "big mouth", "jerk", and "narcissism", Eubanks would make a Triple Play.
[/quote]
Y'ever met the man, Mark?

Me neither. Which is why I confine my criticisms of him to the quality with which he does his job.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 09:58:28 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 15 2005, 06:31 PM\']Me neither. Which is why I confine my criticisms of him to the quality with which he does his job.
[/quote]
And in my opinion, he has a big mouth, and is a jerk...and occasionly seems to show signs of "self flattery"...while on the screen.  See: Card Sharks.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Don Howard

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 10:42:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Jul 15 2005, 08:58 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 15 2005, 06:31 PM\']Me neither. Which is why I confine my criticisms of him to the quality with which he does his job.
[/quote]
And in my opinion, he has a big mouth, and is a jerk...and occasionly seems to show signs of "self flattery"...while on the screen.  See: Card Sharks.
[snapback]91549[/snapback]
[/quote]
I wish he'd played Card Sharks straight as he did with Trivia Trap. When Bob's all-business, he's awesome. When he hits the goofball switch, beware. For those who keep track of such things, how many survey questions did Bob average per show as compared to Bill Rafferty's version?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 10:44:04 PM by Don Howard »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 11:05:20 PM »
Not apropos of Bob Eubanks, but perhaps what is needed is an Emmy category for "Best Smarm".

cmjb13

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2005, 07:04:49 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 15 2005, 07:31 PM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Jul 15 2005, 03:31 PM\']If the Daytime Emmy panel gave an award for "big mouth", "jerk", and "narcissism", Eubanks would make a Triple Play.
[/quote]
Y'ever met the man, Mark?

Me neither. Which is why I confine my criticisms of him to the quality with which he does his job.
[snapback]91537[/snapback]
[/quote]
Met him 3 years ago and was nice.

Although, one should not judge someone on a sole meeting.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2005, 11:01:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Jul 15 2005, 08:58 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 15 2005, 06:31 PM\']Me neither. Which is why I confine my criticisms of him to the quality with which he does his job.
[/quote]
[snapback]91549[/snapback]
[/quote]

The way I see it is Bob sorta is a character host.  There are character actors in Hollywood, those who can portray certain roles (i.e. the Christopher Walkens of the world.).  Bob is most associated with his smarmy "you devil you" demeanor as evident on The Newlywed Game (not so much in the late 90s revival though) and Card Sharks.  I think he probably would have wanted to be smarmy on Trivia Trap but there was one thing that the other two formats had that Trivia Trap lacked...time.  Newlywed Game and Card Sharks are more/can be laid back formats, while Trivia Trap is bam bam bam comparably in pace.  That said I like Bob's work, but suddenly I'm becoming a member of Bill Rafferty's Church of Parting Gifts on the corner of Dual Street and Implication Drive in terms of Card Sharks viewing (although Jim Perry still bests em all).
« Last Edit: July 16, 2005, 11:02:45 PM by FOXSportsFan »

joshg

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2005, 06:44:01 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jul 15 2005, 03:31 PM\']Y'ever met the man, Mark?
[snapback]91537[/snapback]
[/quote]

I almost met Bob... he was walking too fast though.

Not Mark
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

uncamark

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 12:15:47 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Jul 16 2005, 10:01 PM\']The way I see it is Bob sorta is a character host.  There are character actors in Hollywood, those who can portray certain roles (i.e. the Christopher Walkens of the world.).  Bob is most associated with his smarmy "you devil you" demeanor as evident on The Newlywed Game (not so much in the late 90s revival though) and Card Sharks.  I think he probably would have wanted to be smarmy on Trivia Trap but there was one thing that the other two formats had that Trivia Trap lacked...time.  Newlywed Game and Card Sharks are more/can be laid back formats, while Trivia Trap is bam bam bam comparably in pace.  That said I like Bob's work, but suddenly I'm becoming a member of Bill Rafferty's Church of Parting Gifts on the corner of Dual Street and Implication Drive in terms of Card Sharks viewing (although Jim Perry still bests em all).
[snapback]91598[/snapback]
[/quote]

That could also be said about "The Diamond Head Game" and "Dream House"--both were shows with dense formats (dense in more than one way for "Diamond Head") that didn't really call for Bob being a [Chuckie Baby] ras-CULE [CB] (although he could on "Diamond Head" in doing the whole tease thing with the bag in the end game).

In addition, "All-Star Secrets" and "Rhyme and Reason," being both celeb shows, called on Bob to be the straight man without the leering that he could do on "TNG."  Even in "Secrets"' semi-interview format, he couldn't really pull the celebs' chain, because they were being paid to be on and didn't want to say anything that they wouldn't have approved (and you know that in the pre-interviews, if they said "DON'T USE THAT!" the producers wouldn't have).

And on the not-really-a-game-show-but... "Infatuation," Bob was supposed to be the good guy for once in bringing these people together.  He couldn't be the happy homewrecker here.  So he was a little more versatile than "TNG" would show, but that smarm factor does stick with him no matter what he does.