Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: It's time for another rousing game of...  (Read 7269 times)

Kevin Prather

It's time for another rousing game of...
« on: August 25, 2005, 01:39:24 AM »
Allow me to paint the picture for you. My friends and I are playing The $100,000 Pyramid (with Todd's software, of course.) As the 5th in the group, I am the host and judge. The team is in the WC, and has reached the last category. It is "Things that blossom."

The cluegiver starts with "A rose. A flower." which elicits "Things that bud. Things that bloom." CG nods vigorously, ponders, then says "A lotus." This does nothing. The receiver is still on "bloom" and "bud."

Finally, with 5 seconds left, CG gives the clue "Mayim Bialik." I quickly pound on the buzzer because Mayim Bialik WAS Blossom on television, and thus it does not fit the category of "Things THAT blossom."

However, the cluegiver then tries to defend her clue, saying that in the first season of Blossom, Mayim Bialik was quite an ugly girl, but by the end of the run, she was a fairly attractive young lady. Therefore, she blossomed.

I didn't buy it, and my ruling stood. I don't think I was being unreasonable, but what do you guys think? Does her defense hold any water?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 02:05:05 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Aug 24 2005, 10:39 PM\']I didn't buy it, and my ruling stood. I don't think I was being unreasonable, but what do you guys think? Does her defense hold any water?
[/quote]
Correct ruling. She was trying to get away with something, and should have been buzzed.

Now, if she in fact says something like "A pubescent woman", that's a great clue. But by getting specific like that, it was clear that she wasn't referring to ANY pubescent woman, she was referring to THAT one, and she whipped up an excuse after the fact.

Nice try, she lost, and should sit the hell down. :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 02:08:38 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 02:06:58 AM »
She should've been buzzed. Mayim Bialik wasn't that attractive at the end of the run either. ;-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 02:07:52 AM »
It reminded me of a similar discussion we had a while back. Saying "A Mel Brooks film" for "Things that are produced?" Or something like that?

Kevin Prather

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 02:10:41 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Aug 24 2005, 11:06 PM\']She should've been buzzed. Mayim Bialik wasn't that attractive at the end of the run either. ;-)
[snapback]95050[/snapback]
[/quote]

Our exchange...
Me: You can't do that. Mayim Bialik WAS Blossom, so that clue doesn't work.

CG: I think she blossomed!

Me: How so?

CG: Early in the run, she was ugly, but at the end of the run, she was a very attractive young lady.

Me: No, she wasn't.

Am I the only one who thinks that Mayim Bialik looks like Jodie Sweetin with dark hair and a huge nose?

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 02:53:34 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Aug 25 2005, 01:07 AM\']It reminded me of a similar discussion we had a while back. Saying "A Mel Brooks film" for "Things that are produced?" Or something like that?
[snapback]95051[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'd give that one credit, since he does indeed produce. Whether it would be too descriptive for the 80s version is another story.

Am I the only one who thinks that Mayim Bialik looks like Jodie Sweetin with dark hair and a huge nose?
Looking at Mayim's IMDb pic from a distance, I'd say kinda.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

cmjb13

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 06:49:51 AM »
You should have seen the ETHS on Blossom.

They had a recent interview with her.

Yikes!
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Steve McClellan

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 07:17:43 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Aug 24 2005, 11:53 PM\']Whether it would be too descriptive for the 80s version is another story.[/quote]
Nope. When asked in a post-mortem, judge ruled that "A Bob Stewart Show" would've been an acceptable clue.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 10:55:21 AM »
In one of the GSC Winner's Circle rounds, someone was buzzed on "Things That Are White" for giving the clue "Betty".  While you could argue that our favorite game show player is, in fact, Caucasian, the judge rightly buzzed it.

Using "Mayim Bialik" as a clue is a clever act of desperation, and had your cluegiver gotten away with it, you all could have had a nice chuckle.  But I agree with your judge as well.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

davemackey

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 11:00:19 AM »
Watch out, guys... Mayim Bialik, Ph.D. (I kid you not) is smarter than many of us put together.

Between her and Danica McKellar, who says actresses don't have brains?

rebelwrest

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 11:57:27 AM »
I have another question

The category came up THINGS THAT ARE COMPLICATED

The person giving came up with Avril Lavigne (or however her name is spelled)

I think that is legal although I could be wrong.  What do you think.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

uncamark

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 12:09:54 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Aug 25 2005, 10:00 AM\']Watch out, guys... Mayim Bialik, Ph.D. (I kid you not) is smarter than many of us put together.

Between her and Danica McKellar, who says actresses don't have brains?
[snapback]95062[/snapback]
[/quote]

And she, along with Rachael Harris, provided the few bright moments in "Fat Actress" (or "if you don't have Showtime, don't sweat it") in her role as Kirstie Alley's next-door neighbor--even if they did make her wear the "Blossom" hat and boogie to "My Opinionation."

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 01:09:42 PM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' date=\'Aug 25 2005, 10:57 AM\']I think that is legal although I could be wrong.  What do you think.
[/quote]
I'd personally buzz it.  The category wasn't "Anvil Lavinge Songs"....that'd be like saying "The Beatles" for "Things that are Yellow"
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2005, 01:37:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Aug 25 2005, 10:09 AM\']I'd personally buzz it.  The category wasn't "Anvil Lavinge Songs"....that'd be like saying "The Beatles" for "Things that are Yellow"
[/quote]
Okay, well, what if you say "An Avril Lavigne song"? Certainly not descriptive enough to get buzzed (especially if we've established "A Bob Stewart Show" is good), and it most definitely fits the category. Or does this fall into the same file as "Betty" for "Things That Are White"?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2005, 02:05:01 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 25 2005, 01:37 PM\']Okay, well, what if you say "An Avril Lavigne song"? Certainly not descriptive enough to get buzzed (especially if we've established "A Bob Stewart Show" is good), and it most definitely fits the category. Or does this fall into the same file as "Betty" for "Things That Are White"?[/quote]
In my book it does.  To me, an Avril Lavigne song is not, in and of itself, any more complicated than any other kind of song.  The clue is designed to be descriptive, rather than to be part of a list of things that fit the subject.

It's a tricky distinction.  For example, I'd not have a problem with "Stephen Crane's Badge" for "Things that are Red" because it is, in fact, a red thing.  And I'm OK with the Mel Brooks clue because his shows are produced. Ultimately, these are rare cases and that's why you have a judge.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.