Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: It's time for another rousing game of...  (Read 7264 times)

Robert Hutchinson

It's time for another rousing game of...
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2005, 06:56:55 PM »
I think it was pretty firmly established in the 80s version that Strong Descriptive Intent + Weak List Item = BZZZZT. Vicki Lawrence was memorably unpleased that "a child's toy bag" wasn't accepted for THINGS YOU GRAB, but she was obviously trying to sneak in a phrase association without being true to the category.

Of course, then you have to argue about what's strongly descriptive and/or weakly listful. Ah, fun.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

ChuckNet

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2005, 07:02:10 PM »
In my book it does. To me, an Avril Lavigne song is not, in and of itself, any more complicated than any other kind of song. The clue is designed to be descriptive, rather than to be part of a list of things that fit the subject.

Exactly...much like Dick Cavett's unsuccessful attempt to give "Mr. Mostel's name" as a clue for Numbers w/a Zero (though as Dick Clark pointed out, had said category been "THINGS w/a Zero", it would've been perfectly acceptable).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Steve McClellan

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2005, 07:53:55 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Aug 25 2005, 10:37 AM\']Okay, well, what if you say "An Avril Lavigne song"? Certainly not descriptive enough to get buzzed (especially if we've established "A Bob Stewart Show" is good), and it most definitely fits the category. Or does this fall into the same file as "Betty" for "Things That Are White"?[/quote]
Or, you could avoid the issue altogether: "A Weird Al Avril Lavigne Parody" :)

[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Aug 25 2005, 03:56 PM\']Of course, then you have to argue about what's strongly descriptive and/or weakly listful. Ah, fun.[/quote]
Yup, with "a small purse" being accepted for "Things you Clutch"

Kevin Prather

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2005, 09:46:49 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Aug 25 2005, 03:49 AM\']You should have seen the ETHS on Blossom.

They had a recent interview with her.

Yikes!
[snapback]95057[/snapback]
[/quote]

Dear God. That blew me away seeing that.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2005, 09:57:37 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Aug 25 2005, 08:46 PM\']Dear God. That blew me away seeing that.
[/quote]
In other news, Brandon Foster-Gray was spotted inside his local Bed, Bath & Beyond this evening.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2005, 10:03:26 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Aug 25 2005, 04:02 PM\']Exactly...much like Dick Cavett's unsuccessful attempt to give "Mr. Mostel's name" as a clue for Numbers w/a Zero (though as Dick Clark pointed out, had said category been "THINGS w/a Zero", it would've been perfectly acceptable).
[/quote]
Exactly? That sounds like precisely the INVERSE of what Matt was saying.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2005, 10:05:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Aug 25 2005, 06:57 PM\'][quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Aug 25 2005, 08:46 PM\']Dear God. That blew me away seeing that.
[/quote]
In other news, Brandon Foster-Gray was spotted inside his local Bed, Bath & Beyond this evening.
[snapback]95124[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wait...what? What does that have to do with anything?