Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: News Note -- 9/19/05  (Read 5691 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
News Note -- 9/19/05
« on: September 05, 2005, 09:36:31 PM »
With the NFL moving the New Orleans/NY Giants game to the Meadowlands because of Katrina, the TV coverage for the game will affect those of you who receive WoF (or J!, for that matter) on an ABC affiliate at 7:30 ET.  The NFL has announced that ABC will carry the Saints/Giants game to the entire nation at 7:30 ET/4:30 PT, then coverage will switch to ESPN at 9PM ET/6PM PT as ABC does their regularly scheduled Washington/Dallas game (those in the Gulf states and NY metro will see Saints/Giants to its conclusion on ABC then get switched).  Fundraising efforts will be intertwined into both telecasts.

Guaranteed to tick off a few people here, but hey, that's what I'm here for.  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Don Howard

News Note -- 9/19/05
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 09:50:37 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Sep 5 2005, 08:36 PM\']Guaranteed to tick off a few people
[snapback]95871[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh, it'll be more than a few, I suspect. Is it too soon to start placing wagers?

Fedya

News Note -- 9/19/05
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 10:07:28 PM »
I'm more ticked that the Giants get a ninth home game, and that I won't get to listen to the game on the radio -- the only Westwood One affiliate that comes in well is WFAN, which carries the Giants games.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
News Note -- 9/19/05
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 10:13:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Sep 5 2005, 09:07 PM\']I'm more ticked that the Giants get a ninth home game, and that I won't get to listen to the game on the radio -- the only Westwood One affiliate that comes in well is WFAN, which carries the Giants games.
[snapback]95875[/snapback]
[/quote]
Hey, I didn't say *how* I would tick off the people. . .  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Esoteric Eric

News Note -- 9/19/05
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 12:50:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Sep 5 2005, 06:50 PM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Sep 5 2005, 08:36 PM\']Guaranteed to tick off a few people [/quote]Oh, it'll be more than a few, I suspect. Is it too soon to start placing wagers?[/quote]Heck, us West Coasters in markets where Wheel and J! are on ABC affiliates are used to this.  Seems like every fall since I moved here in '88, Seattle's KOMO scheduled the game shows differently (right after MNF, or in the 10 - 11PM block, or delayed one day with Friday's new episode in place of the Saturday rerun.) Then it seems half the time they change their minds between scheduling and airing.  (I missed KJ's last win that way.  Thankfully, I did see last week's rerun.)  I personally can't wait till February, when (after the Patriots win their fourth Super Bowl, third consecutive!) this continual jerking around of KOMO's Monday schedule will cease almost entirely.

Esoteric Eric, definitely ticked off about last week, when the rerun of KJ's first win was all but obliterated by a meaningless, lopsided NFL preseason game.  Heck, if they just dispensed with the postgame interview (some guy that must have seen the scene in Bull Durham where Crash teaches Nuke the basic cliches to say in interviews), we could've at least seen most of Double Jeopardy!; instead we got only one (count 'em, one) clue in DJ! and the Final. Grrrr...
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

BrandonFG

News Note -- 9/19/05
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 01:02:07 AM »
Better put some ice cream ponies on order. Let the bitching begin.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

News Note -- 9/19/05
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 01:06:48 AM »
If this were a sports board, the griping would be that they're only showing half a game.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

joe_capitano

News Note -- 9/19/05
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 04:10:48 AM »
[quote name=\'Esoteric Eric\' date=\'Sep 5 2005, 09:50 PM\']Heck, us West Coasters in markets where Wheel and J! are on ABC affiliates are used to this.  Seems like every fall since I moved here in '88, Seattle's KOMO scheduled the game shows differently  ...  I personally can't wait till February, when ... this continual jerking around of KOMO's Monday schedule will cease almost entirely.
[snapback]95893[/snapback]
[/quote]
Probably complained loudly when MNF was on that one-hour delay for all those years, huh? (Welcome to the club!)

Anyway, like most ABC west coasters, KOMO has for the last several years run WOF & J! on a one-day delay until the last week of NFL season. Then things switch back to normal, for better or worse. Unfortunately, since college games tend to take forever, those 'Friday shows' usually are JIPed on those four or five occasions when ABC sends out a 4 PM game to the Pacific network. Comes with the territory.

What can you do? What CAN you do? Oh yeah. Dish Network and WSBK, if you can.

BTW: This week they're repeating WOF's annual NFL Players Week from last January. Tuesday's replay was aired the same day as the BCS Final, IIRC.

As to the NFL game: I like the arrangement in general. Why deny the nation the chance to see the conclusion, even if you have to have cable or a dish to see it. I'd wager ABC might have a look-in at halftime if the early game is still in progress.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 04:15:43 AM by joe_capitano »

Craig Karlberg

News Note -- 9/19/05
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 04:24:32 AM »
The big problem I see with the scheduling is where it's slotted(7:30PM?).  That just rubs me the wrong way!  I know ABC has its priorities but 2 Monday night ganes in one night doesn't sit well with me at all!  The NFL should've let that game be moved over to Thursday night(9/15).  That way, all of America can see the WHOLE game on one network not move it to ESPN at 9 PM.

I doubt if they'll show the WOF episode later on that night.  Certainly I don't think it'll be part of a summer rerun pachage next summer.  UGGGHHHH!!!

zachhoran

News Note -- 9/19/05
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 09:45:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Sep 5 2005, 08:50 PM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Sep 5 2005, 08:36 PM\']Guaranteed to tick off a few people
[snapback]95871[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh, it'll be more than a few, I suspect. Is it too soon to start placing wagers?
[snapback]95872[/snapback]
[/quote]

If the possible preempted J! episode is the Madden loss episode(I have no advance knowledge of anything that will happen on J! this season), I'm sure there'll be more people ticked off, since football is more important than a game show.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 10:28:32 AM by zachhoran »

Jimmy Owen

News Note -- 9/19/05
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 10:08:17 AM »
David Madden, John Madden, what's the difference?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tmq800

News Note -- 9/19/05
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 10:23:12 AM »
[quote name=\'joe_capitano\' date=\'Sep 6 2005, 03:10 AM\'][quote name=\'Esoteric Eric\' date=\'Sep 5 2005, 09:50 PM\']Heck, us West Coasters in markets where Wheel and J! are on ABC affiliates are used to this.  Seems like every fall since I moved here in '88, Seattle's KOMO scheduled the game shows differently  ...  I personally can't wait till February, when ... this continual jerking around of KOMO's Monday schedule will cease almost entirely.
[snapback]95893[/snapback]
[/quote]
Probably complained loudly when MNF was on that one-hour delay for all those years, huh? (Welcome to the club!)

Anyway, like most ABC west coasters, KOMO has for the last several years run WOF & J! on a one-day delay until the last week of NFL season. Then things switch back to normal, for better or worse. Unfortunately, since college games tend to take forever, those 'Friday shows' usually are JIPed on those four or five occasions when ABC sends out a 4 PM game to the Pacific network. Comes with the territory.

What can you do? What CAN you do? Oh yeah. Dish Network and WSBK, if you can.

BTW: This week they're repeating WOF's annual NFL Players Week from last January. Tuesday's replay was aired the same day as the BCS Final, IIRC.

As to the NFL game: I like the arrangement in general. Why deny the nation the chance to see the conclusion, even if you have to have cable or a dish to see it. I'd wager ABC might have a look-in at halftime if the early game is still in progress.
[snapback]95911[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's why KGO dropped Monday episodes of J! and Wheel in late October/November 2004 altogether.  Because of Saturday College Football!

MCArroyo1

News Note -- 9/19/05
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 11:09:36 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Sep 6 2005, 01:06 AM\']If this were a sports board, the griping would be that they're only showing half a game.
[snapback]95896[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh, they'd gripe about both.

Because Wheel and Jeopardy are the two greatest shows in the history of television, gosh darn it.  :D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 11:10:00 AM by MCArroyo1 »

ChuckNet

News Note -- 9/19/05
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2005, 02:59:37 PM »
Luckily, although both shows air on WABC from 7-8 PM here in NY, we also get them an hr earlier on LI indie WLNY...guess that's where I'll be taping the SPs off of.

Chuck Donegan (The Relieved "Chuckie Baby")

BrandonFG

News Note -- 9/19/05
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2005, 04:46:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Sep 6 2005, 03:24 AM\']I doubt if they'll show the WOF episode later on that night.  Certainly I don't think it'll be part of a summer rerun pachage next summer.  UGGGHHHH!!!
[snapback]95913[/snapback]
[/quote]

Charlie Brown wins.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!