Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Set Overhauls  (Read 7833 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Set Overhauls
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2005, 11:57:05 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Sep 10 2005, 08:23 PM\']I have seen it.  Boardwise, it looks like "Fortunes", in that it uses that program's version of the Ferranti-Packer instead of the board we see.
[/quote]
So what was that spiffy video screen used in the linked pictures? It might have used a Ferranti-Packer on the old set, but that doesn't look like the very first pictures I saw of the show, that looks like an updated set.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 11:57:52 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Unrealtor

Set Overhauls
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2005, 12:59:18 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 10 2005, 10:57 PM\'][quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Sep 10 2005, 08:23 PM\']I have seen it.  Boardwise, it looks like "Fortunes", in that it uses that program's version of the Ferranti-Packer instead of the board we see.
[/quote]
So what was that spiffy video screen used in the linked pictures? It might have used a Ferranti-Packer on the old set, but that doesn't look like the very first pictures I saw of the show, that looks like an updated set.
[snapback]96399[/snapback]
[/quote]

The linked page above indicates that the board is made up of LEDs, so I'm guessing there was an assumption made about a matrix of green dots on black.

By the way, those images show the previous set. About the only things that didn't appear to have been redone from scratch when the change was made are the set piece with the game board, which had the outer border replaced and the areas around the board repainted, and the face-off podium. The main colors are a light purple mixed with red on one side and blue on the other. It's a great set, but, unfortunately, wouldn't work in the States with the way sets have been done since Millionaire came out, not to mention that I can no more easily picture Richard Karn hosting on the 100MD set than Marco Antonio Regil hosting on the Jimmy Cuomo set.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Jeremy Nelson

Set Overhauls
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2005, 05:25:12 PM »
The red and orange lights along the rim of the board flash randomly during the course of the game.

The lights inside of those only flash when a family wins a round. Those lights flash in the same pattern as our Dawson/Combs sets, but the pattern is so quick that it could cause seizures worse than the ones on Japanese cartoons (Watch the Simpsons episode where they go to Japan if you don't know what I'm talking about). Also, each family's podium and stairs are illuminated, so they flash on and off when a family wins a round.

There are chase lights on the stairs up to the main stage (you'll only get a good look at them if you watch the opening or closing.)

By the way, the outline of their gameboard looks just like it was copied from the first Feud computer game. Has anybody else noticed this?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Ian Wallis

Set Overhauls
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2005, 07:15:14 PM »
Do you ever find yourself liking a game show's revamped set, then later wishing they hadn't changed it at all?  

In 1978 when the "Match Game" set was redone, I really liked the blue.  Now, when I watch GSN reruns of the show, I must say I like the original 1973-78 set better.  

I think in "Match Game's" case, the changes were done to "freshen things up a bit".  Although the ratings had dropped by then, they were still decent in mid-78.  I guess they figured once in a while a show can use a slightly different look.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

BrandonFG

Set Overhauls
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2005, 07:19:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Sep 11 2005, 06:15 PM\']Do you ever find yourself liking a game show's revamped set, then later wishing they hadn't changed it at all?[/quote]
I liked the new Wheel puzzleboard from 1997, but now I think it defeats the purpose of Vanna, even if it is a technology upgrade.

In 1978 when the "Match Game" set was redone, I really liked the blue.  Now, when I watch GSN reruns of the show, I must say I like the original 1973-78 set better. 

I think for me, it's a reminder of what was to come with Richard's departure.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

uncamark

Set Overhauls
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2005, 04:06:43 PM »
In hindsight, it seems that the 70s "SOTC" set change was not just for adjusting to the change of format, but also so they could have a set that they could put in any studio at 30 Rock, not just 8H.  It sure looked a lot smaller than the original set--and I even wonder if they moved out the podia for the sale presentation?

megamanj1986

Set Overhauls
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2005, 02:39:37 PM »
From what you can gather on the 'E!' special, the the '99 'Feud' set was meant to convey this. All I saw was how 'we are cheaper and inferior' the original.

Yes, you are correct!

The same can be said about the abysmal MG '98 as well!

Did anyone catch the quick set changes on MG '98 as well? Notice how in the first half of that run, it had like an abundance of yellow, orange, blue, and some pink in the set. Then in the second half, they have mostly blue, pink, and now gold, along w/ smaller chasing lights.

megamanj1986

Set Overhauls
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2005, 01:44:20 PM »
TTTT '69-'78. They went from loud psychedelic to blue, b/c maybe people realized that psychedelia was dying from a slow, painful, agonizing death of...Lepraseed (w/ 2 echoes following) Lepraseed, Lepraseed.

It's just a thought.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 01:49:52 PM by megamanj1986 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Set Overhauls
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2005, 02:05:38 PM »
[quote name=\'megamanj1986\' date=\'Sep 23 2005, 10:44 AM\']Lepraseed (w/ 2 echoes following) Lepraseed, Lepraseed.
[/quote]
What. The. HELL.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

Set Overhauls
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2005, 02:29:13 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 23 2005, 01:05 PM\'][quote name=\'megamanj1986\' date=\'Sep 23 2005, 10:44 AM\']Lepraseed (w/ 2 echoes following) Lepraseed, Lepraseed.
[/quote]
What. The. HELL.
[snapback]97516[/snapback]
[/quote]

Leprosy?

Cripes , if you're going to butcher the language just to make a REALLY out there reference, then please, at least spell it correctly.

(And yes, it does warrant a "WOW".)
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

whewfan

Set Overhauls
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2005, 05:43:23 AM »
I remember when Kevin talked to us at GSC9, he said that CBS ordered them to redo the set of MG 98. He said he hated the idea because changing the set meant changing the opening. I guess they couldn't redo the same opening with the new set. (I have to admit that the original opening was more interesting than seeing the host entrance open a few times.) It's too bad that they didn't take full advantage of changing the set by adding a spot for a 6th celebrity. Another thing Kevin said that was if MG had been renewed, it would've been revamped to something closer to the 70s format with 6 celebs, and they were also aware of the repetitive nature of the questions (They had either a Clinton or male anatomy question every other show!) and they were going to change that as well.

tvwxman

Set Overhauls
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2005, 09:14:26 AM »
Kinda makes you wonder that everyone, including the suits at CBS, knew the show sucked, except for Kevin. Where were the suits before the show premiered?

Waiting till a renewal to 'attempt' to make the show better, has got to be one of the worse business tactics i've ever heard of.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

BrandonFG

Set Overhauls
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2005, 12:05:04 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Sep 24 2005, 08:14 AM\']Kinda makes you wonder that everyone, including the suits at CBS, knew the show sucked, except for Kevin. Where were the suits before the show premiered?

Waiting till a renewal to 'attempt' to make the show better, has got to be one of the worse business tactics i've ever heard of.
[snapback]97559[/snapback]
[/quote]

Dumb question, but was there even a pilot for MG98? (I'm not counting the one with Charlene Tilton) I know Feud, Truth00, and CS01 got one, but never remembered reading one for MG98. If so, and they didn't realize the flaws after pilot, then they had what was coming.

Then again, CS01 got a pilot, they changed stuff, and the show STILL sucked. (shrug)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Set Overhauls
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2005, 04:21:17 PM »
Mark Goodson was scheduled to pop out of his grave if the show had been renewed for a second season. He would have straightened everything out.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Set Overhauls
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2005, 10:13:41 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Sep 24 2005, 04:43 AM\']Another thing Kevin said that was if MG had been renewed, it would've been revamped to something closer to the 70s format with 6 celebs, and they were also aware of the repetitive nature of the questions (They had either a Clinton or male anatomy question every other show!) and they were going to change that as well.
[/quote]
Should have done it "right" the first time, or at least by mid season--the ratings had to be in the tanker by then...
--Mark
Phil 4:13