Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ITV's 50 Greatest Shows  (Read 6233 times)

TravisP

ITV's 50 Greatest Shows
« on: September 10, 2005, 08:25:29 PM »
ITV in the UK is celebrating 50 years this month and the viewing public was allowed to vote for their favourite shows. The following Game Shows were mentioned in the final listing.

50 - Family Fortunes
48 - Opportunity Knocks
37 - Sunday Night At The London Palladium
(I've listed this as Beat The Clock was a regular feature)
35 - Blind Date
22 - Stars In Their Eyes
16 - Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?
9 - Pop Idol
6 - I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here
2 - Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway

Yes its not a typo, Saturday Night Takeaway was SECOND PLACE!!!!!!!! out of the 50 chosen shows spanning ITV's history. It even beaten the likes of Emmerdale, A Touch Of Frost & Inspector Morse in the top five.

sshuffield70

ITV's 50 Greatest Shows
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 11:20:20 PM »
[quote name=\'TravisP\' date=\'Sep 10 2005, 07:25 PM\']ITV in the UK is celebrating 50 years this month and the viewing public was allowed to vote for their favourite shows. The following Game Shows were mentioned in the final listing.

50 - Family Fortunes
48 - Opportunity Knocks
37 - Sunday Night At The London Palladium
(I've listed this as Beat The Clock was a regular feature)
35 - Blind Date
22 - Stars In Their Eyes
16 - Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?
9 - Pop Idol
6 - I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here
2 - Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway

Yes its not a typo, Saturday Night Takeaway was SECOND PLACE!!!!!!!! out of the 50 chosen shows spanning ITV's history. It even beaten the likes of Emmerdale, A Touch Of Frost & Inspector Morse in the top five.
[snapback]96377[/snapback]
[/quote]

If anything, this proves how brainless the Brits have become.  How in the hell can IACGMOH top "Idol".  And why is "Feud" at 50?

Matt Ottinger

ITV's 50 Greatest Shows
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 11:52:53 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Sep 10 2005, 11:20 PM\']If anything, this proves how brainless the Brits have become.  [/quote]
No, it proves that a poll that has viewers contacting you (instead of the other way around) is spectacularly unscientific.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

mmb5

ITV's 50 Greatest Shows
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2005, 11:54:02 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Sep 10 2005, 10:20 PM\']If anything, this proves how brainless the Brits have become.  How in the hell can IACGMOH top "Idol".  And why is "Feud" at 50?
[snapback]96394[/snapback]
[/quote]

The British version is nothing like the American one.  It usually focuses on one celebrity doing something really oddball.  A particular one I saw on BBC America had Joanna Lumley camping alone in the fall in Scotland.  Not a C-lister, and something very interesting.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

CarbonCpy

ITV's 50 Greatest Shows
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 12:57:36 AM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Sep 10 2005, 10:54 PM\']The British version is nothing like the American one.  It usually focuses on one celebrity doing something really oddball.  A particular one I saw on BBC America had Joanna Lumley camping alone in the fall in Scotland.  Not a C-lister, and something very interesting.
[snapback]96398[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think you might be confusing IACGMOH with "Celebrity Castaway," which had her at some deserted tropical island, if my memory serves.

DrBear

ITV's 50 Greatest Shows
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 01:25:21 AM »
Just because somebody should, heres the whole list for perspective: (And where are any of the Gerry Anderson marionette shows?)
The full list of ITV's 50 Greatest Shows:
1 Coronation Street
2 Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway
3 A Touch of Frost
4 Inspector Morse
5 Emmerdale
6 I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here!
7 The Bill
8 The Muppet Show
9 Pop Idol
10 Spitting Image
11 Cold Feet
12 Cracker
13 This Morning
14 Footballers' Wives
15 Minder
16 Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?
17 The Avengers
18 Prime Suspect
19 The Sweeney
20 Tiswas
21 Rising Damp
22 Stars In Their Eyes
23 Upstairs Downstairs
24 Hillsborough
25 The Kenny Everett Show
26 An Audience With...
27 The Darling Buds of May
28 The World At War
29 The Naked Civil Servant
30 The Prisoner
31 7 Up
32 World In Action
33 The Benny Hill Show
34 Brideshead Revisited
35 Blind Date
36 Jimmys
37 Sunday Night at the Palladium
38 Heartbeat
39 Survival
40 Death On The Rock
41 Ready, Steady, Go!
42 The South Bank Show
43 This Is Your Life
44 Candid Camera
45 Tonight With Trevor McDonald
46 The Jewel In The Crown
47 Whicker's World
48 Opportunity Knocks
49 It'll Be Alright On The Night
50 Family Fortunes
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

uncamark

ITV's 50 Greatest Shows
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 04:45:15 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Sep 11 2005, 12:25 AM\']Just because somebody should, heres the whole list for perspective: (And where are any of the Gerry Anderson marionette shows?)
[snapback]96409[/snapback]
[/quote]

Annotated:

The full list of ITV's 50 Greatest Shows:
1 Coronation Street
Soap on 44 years and counting.
2 Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway
Variety show with some games--the title game allows a contestant to go home with some or all of everything sold in an ITV commercial break, from a can of dog food to A NEW CAR!
3 A Touch of Frost
Detective show.  Don't think has ever been on here.
4 Inspector Morse
Mystery seen on PBS' "Mystery!" here.
5 Emmerdale
Soap that's only been on since 1972.   :)
6 I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here!
Already been discussed.  This was a hit in the UK while "Survivor" bombed.
7 The Bill
Long-running cop show with soap overtones.  It's been airing twice a week for many years now.
8 The Muppet Show
You know it.
9 Pop Idol
Change "Pop" to "American"...
10 Spitting Image
Puppets representing various celebrities.  U.S. version bombed, "Spitting Image" puppets star in the Genesis video "Land of Confusion."
11 Cold Feet
"Thirtysomething"-ish drama series of 90s.  Has aired here on Bravo and BBCA and had unsuccessful American remake on NBC.
12 Cracker
Quirky cop show--aired on A&E here and had unsuccessful American remake on ABC.
13 This Morning
The original UK Regis and Kathie Lee/Kelly show.  Currently hosted by Philip Schofield ("Winning Lines") and Fern Britton ("Ready...Steady...Cook!").
14 Footballers' Wives
Prime time soap about soccer players.  It's on BBCA now.
15 Minder
70s cop show.  Never aired over here.
16 Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?
Think you've heard of that one.  :)
17 The Avengers
Same here.  :)
18 Prime Suspect
Series of detective dramas with Helen Mirren.  All have aired on PBS here.
19 The Sweeney
60s and 70s cop show.
20 Tiswas
Anarchic live Saturday morning kids show of early 80s hosted by Chris Tarrant, his first big break.
21 Rising Damp
Beloved 70s sitcom.
22 Stars In Their Eyes
Musical impersonation contest.  Famous for "Tonight, Matthew, I'll be..." catch phrase.  Two unsuccessful Americanizations ("Your Big Break" with Natalie Cole in syndication and "Appearing As..." with Todd Newton for Fox.)
23 Upstairs Downstairs
Beloved drama series about Victorian family, one of "Masterpiece Theatre"'s greatest moments in the U.S. on PBS.
24 Hillsborough
Not familiar with that one.
25 The Kenny Everett Show
Proto music video show with comedy bits from genuinely zany DJ.  Briefly ran in syndication in the U.S. in early 80s.
26 An Audience With...
Series of specials where mostly comedians perform a one-person show for a celeb-packed studio audience.  As my sig indicates, Bob Monkhouse was one of the subjects.
27 The Darling Buds of May
Sitcom that introduced Catherine Zeta-Jones and her darling buds of May to the world.
28 The World At War
Distinguished documentary series on World War II.  If you brought the idea into ITV today, they'd laugh at you.  Has aired many times over here.
29 The Naked Civil Servant
One-shot drama on the life of author Quentin Crisp, one of the first programs on either side of the Atlantic to deal with homosexuality.  Aired on PBS here, IIRC.
30 The Prisoner
Classic SF/fantasy series from 1967 starring Patrick McGoohan.
31 7 Up
Every seven years, Michael Apted has chronicled the lives of seven people for decades, starting at age 7 and going on from there ("14 Up, "21 Up," etc.)  The films have been released theatrically over here.
32 World In Action
Long-running newsmagazine series, replaced by "Tonight with Trevor MacDonald," where the doc on Maj. Charles Ingram had its original UK airing.
33 The Benny Hill Show
Think you've heard of this.  "SOTC" host Nicholas Parsons was one of Benny's straight men.
34 Brideshead Revisited
Distinguished 1981 mini-series based on Evelyn Waugh's book.  Aired on "Masterpiece Theatre" here.
35 Blind Date
We call it "The Dating Game."  Hosted by Cilla Black.
36 Jimmys
Not familiar with it.
37 Sunday Night at the Palladium
The Sullivan show of the UK.  Hosted by Bruce Forsyth, among others and featured a "Beat the Clock" segment where Brucie cut his teeth on game shows.  Didn't he do well?
38 Heartbeat
Medical drama.
39 Survival
Long-running nature series, which has aired here in various guises.  Other than "Sale," Anglia's most famous contribution to national ITV.
40 Death On The Rock
Not familiar with it.
41 Ready, Steady, Go!
Seminal pop music series of the 60s.  All of the Mods and Rockers seemed to head from Carnaby Street to the Rediffusion studios every Friday evening.
42 The South Bank Show
Long-running arts series with the theme that's the only Andrew Lloyd Webber I really like.  Ran on Bravo here in the old days (called here "Bravo Profiles" in the early 90s after "Biography" became a hit for A&E).
43 This Is Your Life
Think you've heard of that one.  :)
44 Candid Camera
Ditto.  :)
45 Tonight With Trevor McDonald
See "World in Action" above.
46 The Jewel In The Crown
Another high-gloss mini-series seen on "Masterpiece Theatre" here.
47 Whicker's World
Travelogue hosted by the very mannered Alan Whicker.  See the "Monty Python" sketch.
48 Opportunity Knocks
Talent show that moved from Radio Luxembourg and ran for eons.  Hosted by the unctuous Hughie "And I Mean That Most Sincerely, Folks" Green.
49 It'll Be Alright On The Night
Blooper show.  Has deal with Dick Clark's people to share material and vice versa.
50 Family Fortunes
We call it the "Feud."

That's it.

brianhenke

ITV's 50 Greatest Shows
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 05:16:23 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 12 2005, 03:45 PM\'][quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Sep 11 2005, 12:25 AM\']Just because somebody should, heres the whole list for perspective: (And where are any of the Gerry Anderson marionette shows?)
[snapback]96409[/snapback]
[/quote]

24 Hillsborough
Not familiar with that one.

[snapback]96561[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hillsborough, according to the IMDB, was a 1996 TV movie about the 1989 soccer tragedy in Sheffield that killed 96 Liverpool fans.

Brian

The Jehovah's Witnesses distribute Mad magazine?
The leaves start to change color in May?

johnnya2k3

ITV's 50 Greatest Shows
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 12:06:12 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 12 2005, 12:45 PM\']18 Prime Suspect
Series of detective dramas with Helen Mirren.  All have aired on PBS here.

22 Stars In Their Eyes
Musical impersonation contest.  Famous for "Tonight, Matthew, I'll be..." catch phrase.  Two unsuccessful Americanizations ("Your Big Break" with Natalie Cole in syndication and "Appearing As..." with Todd Newton for Fox.)
[/quote]
There was an unrelated "America's Most Wanted" ripoff called "Prime Suspect" in the early '90s in syndication. And the Natalie Cole show was simply called "Big Break"; "Your Big Break" with Christopher Reid (of Kid 'n Play) was in 2000.

As for the list...sure, Coronation Street had to be #1, but where was "3-2-1"?!

Jonathan Allen

sshuffield70

ITV's 50 Greatest Shows
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 08:55:46 AM »
And not to nitpick ('cause God knows I hate to sound like Horan) but Todd's show was called "Performing As..."

uncamark

ITV's 50 Greatest Shows
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 03:00:30 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Sep 13 2005, 07:55 AM\']And not to nitpick ('cause God knows I hate to sound like Horan) but Todd's show was called "Performing As..."
[snapback]96642[/snapback]
[/quote]

You're right--the light bulb came on some time after I posted this.

And for this poll, there can only be one "Prime Suspect"--and that would be with Helen Mirren as Inspector Jane Tennison.

And neither series called "Prime Suspect" had a special appearance by--say it with me, folks--PAT O'BRIEN!

johnnya2k3

ITV's 50 Greatest Shows
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 12:06:26 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Sep 13 2005, 11:00 AM\']And neither series called "Prime Suspect" had a special appearance by--say it with me, folks--PAT O'BRIEN!
[snapback]96660[/snapback]
[/quote]
Or, now that she's joined his show...KATHIE LEE GIFFORD!!!! (who of course was one of the vocalists on the Tom Kennedy "Name That Tune" as Kathie Lee Johnson)

Jonathan Allen

GS Warehouse

ITV's 50 Greatest Shows
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 01:08:03 AM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Sep 13 2005, 11:06 PM\']Or, now that she's joined [Pat O'Brien's] show...KATHIE LEE GIFFORD!!!! (who of course was one of the vocalists on the Tom Kennedy "Name That Tune" as Kathie Lee Johnson)
[snapback]96717[/snapback]
[/quote]
For that matter, guess who Kathie Lee interview on tonight's Insider?  That's right, the second-best host the Pyramid franchise ever had, Donny Osmond.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 01:08:16 AM by GS Warehouse »

Steve McClellan

ITV's 50 Greatest Shows
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 01:25:51 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Sep 13 2005, 10:08 PM\']the second-best host the Pyramid franchise ever had, Donny Osmond.[/quote]
Methinks someone here's about to find out how it feels to be lambasted by a moderator.... ;)

geno57

ITV's 50 Greatest Shows
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2005, 01:49:53 AM »
I didn't get where I am today without noticing the glaring absence of "The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin"!

-- Geno in Kansas City (who named my pug, Reggie, after the lead character)