Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune  (Read 7100 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Wheel of Fortune
« on: September 14, 2005, 09:52:31 PM »
I have noticed that Wheel of Fortune has a tendency to only refer to their current year in syndication ( i.e. Pat says this is their 23rd season during Monday's show). I don't mind that. But at the end of today's show, he says something along the lines of "We've been around for 23 years, but the Australian Wheel has been around longer than us (Cue outdated Aussie Wheel clips) " Hey Pat, American Wheel has been around for 30 years!

Can somebody please explain this to me? Why does Wheel always discount its original seven years as if they never happened? It's like when GSN had that Feud 25th anniversary marathon and showed no Combs episodes.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

zachhoran

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 09:56:09 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' date=\'Sep 14 2005, 08:52 PM\']

Can somebody please explain this to me? Why does Wheel always discount its original seven years as if they never happened?

[snapback]96820[/snapback]
[/quote]

The average person, surely those under 30, remember only the evening Wheel with Pat and Vanna, and often wouldn't recall there was a network version airing throughout the 80s offhand. Once in a while, a reference will be made to Woolery or to it being "nighttime" WOF.

BrandonFG

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 10:05:21 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 14 2005, 08:56 PM\']The average person, surely those under 30, remember only the evening Wheel with Pat and Vanna, and often wouldn't recall there was a network version airing throughout the 80s offhand. Once in a while, a reference will be made to Woolery or to it being "nighttime" WOF.
[snapback]96821[/snapback]
[/quote]

I beg to differ. I've brought daytime Wheel up around friends (we were remembering childhood memories). All it takes is "Remember when Wheel of Fortune came on in the mornings?" and they'll respond with an "Oh yeah! And they used to be able to buy their prizes!"

Yeah, they shopped on the nighttime version too, but they obviously still remember the morning version.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 10:30:53 PM »
Still, I see rollercoaster87's point.  I've got no problem with them only counting their years in syndication as they head toward various anniversaries.  It's their show, after all, they can do what they want.  But to point out that the Australian version has been on the air longer would suggest to most people that the game must have originated there.  It seems a very odd thing to say.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

The Ol' Guy

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 08:46:50 AM »
Yeah, no problem remembering the daytime version...it was a danger to our marriage. Debbie was delivering our second child in a more casual hospital "birthing room", complete with a television set. I remember that morning. The doctor was yelling, "Push! Push!", and I'm yelling at the screen, "Buy a vowel! Buy a vowel!" The things game show fans' wives have to put up with....

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 02:53:43 PM »
During the summer and days off from school, I would almost ALWAYS watch the daytime version...and wondering: "Why the hell is it so damn cheap"?  

I did think the $125 and $175 spaces were cool though; and was always dissapointed when a contestant hitting $175 would get 2 consonants, giving him $350.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

aaron sica

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 03:48:36 PM »
I was always fascinated with the visual parts of Wheel when I was a wee lad; most notably the end, when Chuck and Susan waved goodbye from inside the wheel.

I didn't really start watching the show until early 1984, when WCBS-2 in NYC started airing the show. So naturally, one day when I was home sick, I watched the daytime version to see how it differed and couldn't believe how cheap it seemed. No $100-$200-$300-$400-$500-$1000 setup on the wheel - the $1000 space was a $100 space. And top dollar value in round 3 was $2000? I nearly fell out of my seat.

It so moved me that in one of my first essays in writing class in 4th grade was how I wanted to be on the show, even making a chart at the dollar differences between rounds.

musicman

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 08:32:30 PM »
THE PRICE IS RIGHT does the exact same thing.  Bob NEVER mentions Cullen, Kennedy, Davidson, James, or anything not pertaining to the CBS version of TPIR.

JEOPARDY! on the other hand, seems to be proud of it's history.  No sex scandals, no lawsuits... nothing shady.  Alex is never hesitant when mentioning Art Fleming in retrospects or when a contestant's parent (or any relative) played in the original.

Kevin Prather

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 08:42:49 PM »
Well, Bob does often mention that it is their "34th year on CBS!" (or whatever number it is now,) so technically, that does imply that there was a prior version. Your point still stands, however.

daveromanjr

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 08:51:49 PM »
[quote name=\'musicman\' date=\'Sep 17 2005, 07:32 PM\']THE PRICE IS RIGHT does the exact same thing.  Bob NEVER mentions Cullen, Kennedy, Davidson, James, or anything not pertaining to the CBS version of TPIR.

JEOPARDY! on the other hand, seems to be proud of it's history.  No sex scandals, no lawsuits... nothing shady.  Alex is never hesitant when mentioning Art Fleming in retrospects or when a contestant's parent (or any relative) played in the original.
[snapback]97079[/snapback]
[/quote]
I remember in the past year or two a contestant mentioned the Kennedy version of TPiR and Bob said "Oh yes the nighttime version from the 80's!".  The contestant had just mentioned it in passing (she had been in the audience in 86 and didn't get on and didn't try again til that day a year or two ago) but Bob still made mention of it.  I was kind of surprised.

zachhoran

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005, 09:07:59 PM »
[quote name=\'musicman\' date=\'Sep 17 2005, 07:32 PM\']THE PRICE IS RIGHT does the exact same thing.  Bob NEVER mentions Cullen, Kennedy, Davidson, James, or anything not pertaining to the CBS version of TPIR.

[snapback]97079[/snapback]
[/quote]

He mentioned the Davidson version, never mentioning the host but alluding to that version, when the Davidson version was in first-run. A couple of times, he said some people thought that the Barker version wasn't on the air anymore when they saw TNPIR94. He has made mention of the Cullen version on rare occasions, but not when Cullen guested on the show to promote Child's Play.

Matt Ottinger

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2005, 11:53:43 PM »
[quote name=\'musicman\' date=\'Sep 17 2005, 08:32 PM\']THE PRICE IS RIGHT does the exact same thing.  Bob NEVER mentions Cullen, Kennedy, Davidson, James, or anything not pertaining to the CBS version of TPIR.

JEOPARDY! on the other hand, seems to be proud of it's history.  No sex scandals, no lawsuits... nothing shady.  Alex is never hesitant when mentioning Art Fleming in retrospects or when a contestant's parent (or any relative) played in the original.[/quote]
These examples really aren't the same as the continuous run of Wheel since 1975, and you're wrong anyway.  Bob has frequently referred to Bill Cullen as the host of the original version of the show, a version that just about everybody agrees was a distinct and separate show.  In the spectacularly unlikely event that a TPIR contestant had a parent or grandparent who played on Bill's version, I'm sure Bob wouldn't have any problem at all mentioning it.

And as far as counting seasons is concerned, Jeopardy -- like Wheel -- only counts the current syndication years.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TimK2003

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2005, 01:07:01 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' date=\'Sep 14 2005, 08:52 PM\']Can somebody please explain this to me? Why does Wheel always discount its original seven years as if they never happened?
[snapback]96820[/snapback]
[/quote]

Because Wheel is afraid that if they mention and/or show the Early years of Wheel, they're afraid that they'll show how superior the early years of Wheel were in contrast to the dumbed-down, robotic contestants, mo-money Pat & Vanna years.

Give me Chuck & Susan any day!  That early NBC version was Boss!

Jeremy Nelson

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2005, 10:26:11 PM »
I was even surprised when Pat made a joke pertaining to the Woolery run. I think it was something like:

"You know, I get all kinds of mail from viewers. Some even ask when Chuck Woolery's coming back from vacation."

I wouldn't be surprised a bit if that were true.

The key word here, people , is RESPECT. At least Alex Trebek understands that he wasn't the reason why Jeopardy! was so popular. He understood that it was Art Fleming who laid down the foundation that established Jeopardy! as a staple of American pop-culture to some,  and a serious game show to others. As a result, he RESPECTS the tradition and history of Jeopardy!.

Although they are run by the same company, it seems that Wheel's hosts pays no homage to their predecessors. Maybe it's because of the "fallout" between Merv and Chuck concerning salaries. Maybe its because Pat's paid to keep the game going at lightspeed, causing him to cut all extra tidbits which make game shows enjoyable to watch.

Fleming, Cullen, Dawson, Marshall, and Ludden. All five initiated concepts which became big hits at one time or another, and have had numerous runs.

Where's Chuck?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 11:36:48 AM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2005, 10:46:03 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Sep 18 2005, 12:07 PM\']Because Wheel is afraid that if they mention and/or show the Early years of Wheel, they're afraid that they'll show how superior the early years of Wheel were in contrast to the dumbed-down, robotic contestants, mo-money Pat & Vanna years.
[snapback]97119[/snapback]
[/quote]

I like this answer. IF only that were the reason. ;-)

JOE SCHMO: Wasn't there a time when the contestants could buy their prizes?
PAT: No, it was a dream. Just like on Dallas.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!