Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 'Tonight'  (Read 3732 times)

The Pyramids

'Tonight'
« on: October 13, 2005, 08:13:47 PM »
This may be a bit off topic but it feature same game show personalities. Does anyone know the formatt of Steve Allan's 'Tonight Show' (as opposed to later prime time shows).

Doubtless kinescopes are real hard to come by but from what I read it seemed to be all over the map with monologs at Steve's piano, skecthes, talk and even David Letterman style remotes.

Adam Nedeff

'Tonight'
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 08:30:52 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Oct 13 2005, 07:13 PM\']This may be a bit off topic but it feature same game show personalities. Does anyone know the formatt of Steve Allan's 'Tonight Show' (as opposed to later prime time shows).

Doubtless kinescopes are real hard to come by but from what I read it seemed to be all over the map with monologs at Steve's piano, skecthes, talk and even David Letterman style remotes.
[snapback]99449[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's about right. I admit I haven't seen it either, but I've read piles of books and watched documentaries, so that automatically makes me qualified to answer this. You have to realize that TV was still pretty new, and while a lot of shows at that point amounted to "radio with a picture" people like Steve Allen and Ernie Kovacs used their shows to go all over the map and figure out what exactly a television show could be.

What Steve discovered was that 105 minutes of live TV in an era of fewer commercials was a lot of time to fill, and the format was just what you described. Steve did monologues, desk pieces, audience games (he invented "Stump the Band" if I'm not mistaken), remote segments, guests doing stunts outside the theater, interviews, simple chit-chat, news reports (both serious and satirical), and prank phone calls. It worked so well that every late night talk show since has basically been elements of Steve's show plucked and molded to fit the host.

uncamark

'Tonight'
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 03:41:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Oct 13 2005, 07:30 PM\'][quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Oct 13 2005, 07:13 PM\']This may be a bit off topic but it feature same game show personalities. Does anyone know the formatt of Steve Allan's 'Tonight Show' (as opposed to later prime time shows).

[snapback]99449[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's about right. I admit I haven't seen it either, but I've read piles of books and watched documentaries, so that automatically makes me qualified to answer this. You have to realize that TV was still pretty new, and while a lot of shows at that point amounted to "radio with a picture" people like Steve Allen and Ernie Kovacs used their shows to go all over the map and figure out what exactly a television show could be.

What Steve discovered was that 105 minutes of live TV in an era of fewer commercials was a lot of time to fill, and the format was just what you described. Steve did monologues, desk pieces, audience games (he invented "Stump the Band" if I'm not mistaken), remote segments, guests doing stunts outside the theater, interviews, simple chit-chat, news reports (both serious and satirical), and prank phone calls. It worked so well that every late night talk show since has basically been elements of Steve's show plucked and molded to fit the host.
[snapback]99452[/snapback]
[/quote]

And those of you who only know him from "MG" would be amazed that for a good portion of the run Gene Rayburn did a straight newscast every night on "Tonight."

I should also mention that there was a good deal of music on "Tonight"--along with Skitch Henderson's band were guests and regular house singers Andy Williams, Steve Lawrence and Edyie Gorme at the beginning of their careers. Some nights the show would be mostly music.

In fact, no two nights of "Tonight" would be as standardized in format as today's late-night shows, so you never really knew what would happen when you watched it.  Allen and some NBC execs initially didn't see eye-to-eye on the show (they wanted it to be more news-oriented, like the "Today" show), they did come around to the fact that the show had to be most nights an entertainment show (but that didn't stop Allen from doing a panel discussion on race relations or inviting Carl Sandburg to read his poetry).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 03:41:39 PM by uncamark »

rugrats1

'Tonight'
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 05:40:46 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 14 2005, 02:41 PM\']Allen and some NBC execs initially didn't see eye-to-eye on the show (they wanted it to be more news-oriented, like the "Today" show)...
[/quote]

Eventually, NBC got its wish after Allen and Kovacs left in 1957, with "Tonight: America After Dark", which was generally more information than entertaining in nature. That effort failed miserably, and was soon replaced with an entertainment-based "Tonight" with Jack Paar.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 05:40:59 PM by rugrats1 »

DjohnsonCB

'Tonight'
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 12:31:50 AM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Oct 14 2005, 04:40 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 14 2005, 02:41 PM\']Allen and some NBC execs initially didn't see eye-to-eye on the show (they wanted it to be more news-oriented, like the "Today" show)...
[/quote]

Eventually, NBC got its wish after Allen and Kovacs left in 1957, with "Tonight: America After Dark", which was generally more information than entertaining in nature. That effort failed miserably, and was soon replaced with an entertainment-based "Tonight" with Jack Paar.
[snapback]99524[/snapback]
[/quote]

Reading about "Tonight: America After Dark", I found that only five dozen NBC stations stayed with it to the end, and that Jack Paar had to try and woo back all or most of the affiliates who dumped it.  Years earlier, I found that Paar's show aired in my hometown of Des Moines not on NBC station WHO, but on CBS affiliate KRNT (now KCCI), an unusual case of a CBS station airing a series in color several years before CBS itself got into it.  Evidently, WHO was harder to convince to go back to the Tonight Show (they ran movies in its place) until Johnny Carson came along in Fall '62.  KRNT then started running "PM East/PM West".  Anyone ever see that one?  I was too young, but I know Mike Wallace hosted.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

The Pyramids

'Tonight'
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 09:35:45 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 14 2005, 02:41 PM\']

In fact, no two nights of "Tonight" would be as standardized in format as today's late-night shows, so you never really knew what would happen when you watched it.  Allen and some NBC execs initially didn't see eye-to-eye on the show (they wanted it to be more news-oriented, like the "Today" show), they did come around to the fact that the show had to be most nights an entertainment show (but that didn't stop Allen from doing a panel discussion on race relations or inviting Carl Sandburg to read his poetry).
[snapback]99512[/snapback]
[/quote]

I wonder how people coped with the tremendous demads of a live show every night. Its no suprise that Jack Parr went to videotape during his run and adapted a talk formatt, and Johnny followed suit. Even then keep in mind it was for 90 minutes w/ a lot less commericals.

TwoInchQuad

'Tonight'
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 03:25:33 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Oct 15 2005, 05:35 AM\']
I wonder how people coped with the tremendous demads of a live show every night. Its no suprise that Jack Parr went to videotape during his run and adapted a talk formatt, and Johnny followed suit. Even then keep in mind it was for 90 minutes w/ a lot less commericals.
[snapback]99556[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, the concept of going to videotape was different at that time-- in Paar and Carson's case, the show was taped live, and on the day of broadcast.  So if anything, the program was merely time-shifted a few hours by the network.  "Tonight" still did a live show on the days they worked... they just did it earlier in the day.

-Kevin

Adam Nedeff

'Tonight'
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 12:26:58 AM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Oct 15 2005, 08:35 AM\']Even then keep in mind it was for 90 minutes w/ a lot less commericals.
[snapback]99556[/snapback]
[/quote]

Anal-retentive nitpicking, but it was actually 105 minutes until about a year or two into Carson's run. A number of stations only ran it for 90 minutes, though, which is why the time slot was eventually reduced. At one point, they were down to only 20 or so affiliates carrying the first 15 minutes of the show, so Johnny began faking a nightly stomach virus that mysteriously vanished 15 minutes after each taping started (leaving Ed McMahon to do that first segment of the show by himself) until NBC finally took the hint and slashed the show to 90 minutes.