Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show references  (Read 2795 times)

The Pyramids

Game show references
« on: October 22, 2005, 08:13:03 PM »
Its been called tv’s best dramatic series ever. ‘St. Elsewhere’ from NBC in the Eighties had  some game show connections.

One story arc from year #4 was about a Kennedy-style family. The name of one episode was ‘Family Feud’.

More significantly there a funny scene in year #5. Dr. Craig (William Daniels) is sidelined at home due to an injured hand. He lying around watching ‘Wheel of Fortune’. His wife tells him he’s not going to sit around all day watching tv again. We watch the game along w/ Dr. Craig on tv. The puzzle was ‘Pricilla Presley.’

Also that year Steve Allen & Jayne Meadows played the long-lost parents of Dr. Erhlich (Ed Begley Jr.) They are veteran cold war CIA agents which may be a broad reference to the title ‘I’ve Got A Secret’. I watched the show again recently to see if there was a more direct reference to the series. Unfortunately I didn’t hear one.

On an unrelated note Allen & Meadows return in the second-to-last- episode of the show. Tom Poston & Louis Nye also play parents of the doctors. At the ‘doctor of the year’ awards they are all sitting by a piano. Steve A. says ‘”Tonight’s show’s over.”

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Game show references
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 08:15:09 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Oct 22 2005, 07:13 PM\']One story arc from year #4 was about a Kennedy-style family. The name of one episode was ‘Family Feud’.
[/quote]
These really are not a connection at all.  This is just as bad as when Brian Henke mentions that ESPN said a team "Pressed their Luck".

You have heard of "Family Feud" outside the gameshow context, I presume?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 08:24:40 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Robair

Game show references
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 11:54:28 AM »
It might be interesting to note that the entire run of "St. Elsewhere" was, according to the last episode, totally imagined by an autistic young boy.

That may explain this thread...
--Robair