Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Just added to the Kohl's selection  (Read 4740 times)

Bob Zager

Just added to the Kohl's selection
« on: November 01, 2005, 11:55:58 AM »
Kohl's has just started adding some higher priced games in tin boxes, and surprisingly among them was The Price is Right DVD Edition!

Currently SALE priced at $29.99, it comes in a tin box the same size as the Deluxe Wheel of Fortune Simpsons Edition, which is currently sale priced at $19.99 at Kohl's.

I don't know if I'd mentioned in the forum, but boardgames.com is now selling the regular edition of Jeopardy! in a tin box.

WhammyPower

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 06:15:09 PM »
Here's two I found when searching:

Password/Password Junior - in what looks like the same size box as the first few editions (the small one)
Wheel of Fortune: Simpsons Edition
« Last Edit: November 01, 2005, 06:16:15 PM by WhammyPower »

ChuckNet

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 10:37:57 PM »
Beat me to the punch on that repackaged TPiR DVD game, LOL...saw it there yesterday myself, but didn't have a chance to post about it.

Anyway, while I did score the aforementioned Simpsons WoF and that plug-and-play WoF TV game, haven't yet found Password...just out of curiosity, anyone know if this version includes the Lightning Round?

Chuck Donegan (The Curious "Chuckie Baby")

WhammyPower

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 05:17:10 PM »
If you haven't bought the WWTBaM or WLoD TV games yet, you're in luck tomorrow morning at Kohl's.  There's an Early Bird Special on them.....

From 7-11AM (times are for all time zones), they will be discounted to $35.  So, if you're like me and have a $10 reward coupon.... they're only $25 ea. by themselves or $30 ea. if you buy them together.

(NOTE: This deal is probably IN-STORE ONLY.)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 05:19:34 PM by WhammyPower »

RobRosko

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 06:52:09 AM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' date=\'Nov 4 2005, 06:17 PM\']If you haven't bought the WWTBaM or WLoD TV games yet, you're in luck tomorrow morning at Kohl's.  There's an Early Bird Special on them.....

[snapback]101388[/snapback]
[/quote]

Coming out of the shadows here to help you guys save your money...

I can't speak about the WLOD game, but the Millionaire game is absolutely horrible.  When I first plugged it in and turned the system on, I was greeted with a large pixellated Millionaire logo accompanied by a Nintendo-sounding Millionaire theme song.  The game itself is pretty weirdly planned out, as well.  You can either play by yourself or have up to three other people play along with you.  You each get your own wired controller with A,B,C,and D buttons along with a Lifeline button.

In solo mode, it plays just like the show, reach $25,000, get Switch the Question, yadda yadda.  In "Party Mode", only one player can use a lifeline on any given question.  The first person to press the "Lifeline" button is temporarily locked out while the other players are forced to take a guess at the question.  After everyone else has guessed, the person who chose to use a lifeline can select one and answer the question with that assistance.  In either version, you can choose to have a timer set.  If you choose this, you get 30 seconds to answer the question.  Interesting idea....

The graphics are absolutely horrendous.  Again, everything about the game screams Nintendo. Don't let the pictures on the box fool you.  The actual game looks nothing like they make you think.

A few more gripes about the game.  It says that there are thousands of questions to play with... I only played two games of it before packaging it back up in the box, but during the second game, 4 of the five first tier questions were "How many ___  make up a dollar?", using pennies, dimes, etc.  You'd think their random generator would be a little better than that.  Also, the controllers aren't very sensitive to your presses.  Sometimes you have to press them a few times in order for it to lock in your guess.  And one more... there are only two music tracks to the game: the Nintendo-like Millionaire theme song and for *every* question, there's a Nintendo-like version of the PAF clock timer.  

Needless to say, I took the game back the next day and got my payment refunded.  Worst thirty bucks I spent on a game show home version in my life.  If you really want a Millionaire game to play, play the online versions at ABC.com or MillionaireTV.com.  The graphics don't suck as bad, there's actual music, and it's free.  

Honestly, don't waste your money.

-Rob

GS Warehouse

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 10:22:16 AM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' date=\'Nov 4 2005, 05:17 PM\']If you haven't bought the WWTBaM or WLoD TV games yet, you're in luck [this] morning at Kohl's.  There's an Early Bird Special on them.....
[snapback]101388[/snapback]
[/quote]
The nearest Kohl's to me is in the next town.  I was at there yesterday, and I saw these games for $41.99.  At this time (about 10:20am) Saturdays, I'm usually just getting out of bed, so it's not worth $7 to get up and at 'em, especially after Rob's review of WWTBAM above.  There was also The Apprentice and a blackjack/poker game.  I don't have company very often, but if I did, I'd host my own version of Poker Royale. :-)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 10:23:03 AM by GS Warehouse »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 02:03:22 PM »
I bought WLOD for $30 new at GameStop, and it's pretty decent. There are a few schools of thought among my party group on how to use the telestrator, but with a bit of practice you'll at least see improvement. I suggest letting everybody play with it a bit before you actually get down to the game. The graphics are excusable, as they are 8-bit type as Rob said for all plug-n-play games, because they're not integral to the play. There's a border around the screen, timers and scoreboards and that's it - the rest is your drawing.

The format if you must know - seconds on the clock translate to points for the main game, and the speed round is played with each puzzle worth x points depending on the difficulty/length settings. I forget which.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Tony

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 03:07:02 PM »
Anyone have an idea if/when/how these types of games will be upgraded to 16-bit graphics?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 03:51:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Tony\' date=\'Nov 7 2005, 12:07 PM\']Anyone have an idea if/when/how these types of games will be upgraded to 16-bit graphics?
[snapback]101617[/snapback]
[/quote]
When the market demands it.

Since the market for these types of games seems to be people who value the simplicity of plug & play over the vastly improved experience of playing them on a PC or a console, I'm guessing the market isn't going to be demanding it anytime soon.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe