Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Deal or No Deal taping. (No game play spoilers)  (Read 12114 times)

curtking

Deal or No Deal taping. (No game play spoilers)
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2005, 06:30:47 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Nov 10 2005, 03:48 AM\']What's to keep this game from becoming dreadfully monotonous? It frankly sounds like a one-note-song to me. What'll be left after the novelty wears off?

Imagine playing Punch-A-Bunch six times per day, every day. Or Let's Make A Deal with one deal played over and over.
[snapback]101898[/snapback]
[/quote]
I had the same thoughts as you originally.  But I've seen two episodes of the UK show and am anxious for more.

The format does have a weakness or two -- I can imagine the game not being very much fun if the player takes an early offer from the bank.  I can also imagine a problem if the following scenario were to occur:

One high-value briefcase/box remains and four very low ones.  If the player rejects the bank's offer at this point, he opens three more briefcases/boxes.  If one of those choices reveals the high-value amount, the last offer from the bank and the opening of the last few boxes would be very anti-climactic.

I think the show's success will be very dependent on the host.  The host can play this game several ways: player-advocate, bank-advocate, etc.  But if the host doesn't do a good job of building the excitement, the game will be pretty boring.

The first few episodes will be critical -- I trust that since they'll have five episodes to choose from, they'll pick ones to air first that show the game at its best.

I also think that there's a benefit to only showing this once a week.  The UK version is currently running six days a week.

Curt

Brig Bother

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2005, 06:57:19 AM »
ADVERT: If you've nothing better to do in the mornings, Bother's Bar currently has a number of people giving a live commentary of the UK show from 4:15pm GMT until we all get bored of it, for the benefit of those of us with lax bosses at work. Commentaries for other days this week are there as well, but to appreciate it properly you really have to be following it at the time. I think it gets across the excitement quite well.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 06:57:38 AM by Brig Bother »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2005, 11:42:32 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Nov 10 2005, 04:48 AM\']What's to keep this game from becoming dreadfully monotonous? [/quote]
From all indications, Howie.  And 26 scantily clad models.  Howie's Harem, as it were.

[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Nov 10 2005, 04:48 AM\']It frankly sounds like a one-note-song to me. What'll be left after the novelty wears off?

Imagine playing Punch-A-Bunch six times per day, every day. Or Let's Make A Deal with one deal played over and over.[/quote]
Granted I've only seen the one show, but that's exactly my opinion.  It is without question flashy, dramatic and intense, but it would seem to be flashy dramatic and intense in exactly the same way every single time.  The only play-at-home is to second-guess the contestant.  ("Well, if I was him, I would have taken the last bank offer.")  Why do we keep getting stuff like this and not stuff like Fifteen-To-One?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

cmjb13

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2005, 11:56:57 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 10 2005, 11:42 AM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Nov 10 2005, 04:48 AM\']What's to keep this game from becoming dreadfully monotonous? [/quote]
From all indications, Howie.  And 26 scantily clad models.  Howie's Harem, as it were.
[/quote]
Well, they are wearing dresses and not bikinis, but point taken.

It's understandable they would want eye candy. But they also don't want to put the focus of the game on them.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2005, 11:57:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 10 2005, 11:42 AM\']Why do we keep getting stuff like this and not stuff like Fifteen-To-One?
[/quote]
One look at American television should tell you.  In my opinion, the American television audience for the most part is unintellegent and wants programing to suit it. See: "Big Brother".
--Mark
Phil 4:13

CarbonCpy

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2005, 12:03:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 10 2005, 11:42 AM\']Why do we keep getting stuff like this and not stuff like Fifteen-To-One?
[snapback]101921[/snapback]
[/quote]

My vote's on "Lowest Common Demoninator," "Throw enough mud over as wide a space as possible, and it's bound to stick somewhere," "Bean-counters with no creativity," "The Ashlee Simpson demographic," and other assorted cliches.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 12:04:02 PM by CarbonCpy »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2005, 12:42:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Nov 10 2005, 08:57 AM\']One look at American television should tell you.  In my opinion, the American television audience for the most part is unintellegent and wants programing to suit it. See: "Big Brother".
[snapback]101925[/snapback]
[/quote]
You must think I'm a dumbass, then, because I enjoy Big Brother.

Not that I disagree with your point (in fact, I extend it to the population as a whole, not just the television viewing audience), but I think there were far far better examples you could have cited. I'm not saying BB is the end-all-be-all of television, but even if you have half a brain there are some worthwhile things to be pulled out of it. Not so with, say, Tyra Banks' pandering crapfest or Blind Date.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2005, 12:33:54 PM »
On the other hand, though, there are many generally-intelligent people over on the Yahoo! UK game show group who are genuinely getting caught up in the British version, and these are the people who love all the intelligent quizzes and "Countdown" that they have over there.  And in the lay world, the show is taking off over there, although it helps that they have as their host Noel Edmunds, a man with a solid background as a "presenter."  So I'll reserve my judgment until I actually see the show.

As for "15-to-1," yeah, it would be great to see the format done here--and one would've thought that Jenningsmania would've caused a new interest in game shows in general and Q&As in particular in the syndication world.  But right now, the only new things I'm seeing for next fall are Megan Mullaly and the other talk shows and still more court shows.  Have game show formats become that unclean to syndicators?

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2005, 07:31:42 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Nov 11 2005, 12:33 PM\']... the only new things I'm seeing for next fall are Megan Mullaly...
[snapback]102018[/snapback]
[/quote]
You've just made someone cream their pants.

Brandon Brooks

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2005, 07:33:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Nov 11 2005, 04:31 PM\']You've just made someone cream their pants.
[snapback]102058[/snapback]
[/quote]
Hey, if she wears those little black minis she wore on Will & Grace on occasion, and I can mute her GRATING voice, I might make a stop at Bloodbath & Beyond myself. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2005, 09:44:06 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 11 2005, 04:33 PM\'](...)and I can mute her GRATING voice(...)[/quote]No need, Chris; Megan's own voice is not "Karen Walker"'s by any means.  She used to be seen in ads for... (Travelocity?  Cheap Tickets?), and once interviewed Madonna for (I think) VH1.  (Just remembered she's one of the lesser-seen pundits in some of the I Love The (Decade)'s shows, too.)

Esoteric Eric; KindaObGS:  Wonder if those folks who only know Vicki Lawrence as "Mama" Thelma Harper are surprised by her real voice (and appearance, for that matter...)
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

ChuckNet

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2005, 10:09:38 PM »
On the other hand, though, there are many generally-intelligent people over on the Yahoo! UK game show group who are genuinely getting caught up in the British version, and these are the people who love all the intelligent quizzes and "Countdown" that they have over there.

I'm also a Countdown fan...simple game, yet challenging AND addicting, two key factors for any GS. Wonder if a US version would work on, say, PBS or Bravo...

Chuck Donegan (The Curious "Chuckie Baby")

Brig Bother

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2005, 10:22:36 PM »
I am actually slightly taken aback by the huge amount of critical success the show has had over here. I think it's great, but I also think it's slightly too early to predict if it's going to be a long-term success or not.

I'm looking forward to sampling the US version at some point. Although I'm with other people who suggest that the idea of a Big Red Button is really silly, and not in a good way (sorry Randy!). If they can get away without it in the original Dutch version (which goes out live and gives away a top prize of about $5,000,000) or indeed in any version, I don't see why you lot can't do the same.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2005, 11:05:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'Nov 11 2005, 11:22 PM\'] I don't see why you lot can't do the same.[/quote]
Because OUR lot -- at least the lot that run TV networks, believe that if it ain't broke, then beat it with a sledgehammer.

Remember, we're the country that screwed up Millionaire!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2005, 12:10:20 AM »
But look what they did to Blockbusters. ;-)

Kidding. Sit. Stay.