Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My new "Concentration" site  (Read 6964 times)

DjohnsonCB

My new "Concentration" site
« on: November 09, 2005, 03:51:43 PM »
The new "Concentration" site I promised quite a while ago is now partially completed.  Go here to see what I've done so far.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

bulldog_06

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 05:03:06 PM »
It looks pretty good, I even like your site about a possible revival, I would love to work with you on that. I can't wait to see your other two pages of the Narz and Trebek versions.

tvwxman

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 07:21:46 PM »
Nice job. I was thinking about Narz' Concentration the other day, which still is one of my favorite shows of all time...

Can someone (once again, I know) clarify where the Narz eps are, if in fact they exist? And for that matter, the NBC daytime eps? I can't think of a better show for GSN... I really believe they would stand the test of time a helluva lot better than Love Connection does.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

JohnTheGameMan

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 07:32:12 PM »
This is pretty cool.  I can't wait for you to do the Narz and Trebek versions.  I also love your proposed revival, and I hope one day "Concentration" comes back on the airwaves.  
I also enjoyed the history of the show and enjoyed the pictures.  Great Job.  Keep up the good work!!!

ChuckNet

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 08:20:58 PM »
Great job so far...yeah, I think Trebek's version was one of the handful of games WOWT actually cleared in the late 80s.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

alfonzos

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 08:45:47 AM »
So far, so good.

You might wat to mention that Ed McMahon hosted for a while between the Downs and Clayton eras. The puzzle behind Hugh Downs on the home page reads "It Might as Well be Spring" (it m+eye+'t as well bee spring).
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

JamesVipond

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 02:57:16 PM »
You have a very impressive site, David, especially the rare color photographs. I thought, however, that Hugh Downs was the host through 1968, as he won an Emmy in that year.
"He has big eyes ... and they're BLUE!"

-- a boy describing Bill Cullen on Child's Play

GSWitch

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 04:09:17 PM »
You also forgot that when two WILD cards were matched, the contestant won (whether s/he won or lost the game) a NEW Chevy Nova Car!

I remember the organist would always play "See The USA In Your Chevrolet" when Hugh Downs/Bob Clayton did the double Wild Card spiel!

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 10:56:24 PM »
[quote name=\'JamesVipond\' date=\'Nov 10 2005, 02:57 PM\']You have a very impressive site, David, especially the rare color photographs. I thought, however, that Hugh Downs was the host through 1968, as he won an Emmy in that year.
[snapback]101940[/snapback]
[/quote]

The input I received via e-mail was most appreciated.  Sorry about the goof on the transition from Downs to Clayton.  I consulted the 3rd Edition of EOTVGS, and there was a part of their text that read, "...until he was replaced by Bob Clayton on December 30, 1963.  When Hugh Downs relinquished his duties as host..."

Problem was, I didn't see that period between "1963" and "When".  But I do recall reading somewhere that Clayton was hosting (presumably subbing for Hugh) on the day it went to color.  I made a few corrections and disabled the dead links to the pages yet to come.

Aren't you glad now that I didn't announce the site to the general public yet?
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

AH3RD

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2005, 07:05:30 AM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Nov 9 2005, 03:51 PM\']The new "Concentration" site I promised quite a while ago is now partially completed.  Go here to see what I've done so far.
[snapback]101830[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'd like to...except every time I try to access the page, I get a "The page cannot be displayed" message.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 07:05:55 AM by AH3RD »
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2005, 07:34:20 AM »
[quote name=\'AH3RD\' date=\'Nov 11 2005, 07:05 AM\']I'd like to...except every time I try to access the page, I get a "The page cannot be displayed" message.
[/quote]
Maybe its your browser.  I have no issues with it.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Mike Tennant

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2005, 11:37:37 AM »
Not bad . . . not bad at all.  I'm looking forward to the Narz page(s).

I will suggest for your proposed end game this:  Do the two-step process as you've described, but instead of showing a fully exposed rebus after the matching is over, simply have the rebus behind the matching cash amounts as it is on the main game.  Then solving what's been revealed nets the contestant ten times the amounts he's matched.  (If the player makes all seven matches, show him the whole rebus.)  This rewards good playing even more than your version does.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2005, 12:15:33 PM »
It's a very nice site, and I look forward to seeing more of it.

The detail in your history is most impressive, and I'd be interested in knowing what sources you're using beyond the regular dates-and-times.  I'm a pretty big Concentration fan and I haven't heard a lot of it.  Also, some of us who attended the GSC got a chance to hear from Blumenthal himself, and some of what he had to say adds to what you have.  For one thing, that whole bit about the envelopes and the masking tape and the wax seal and the rig imprint and the keys and the locks didn't last very long at all; Blumenthal dumped that the moment S&P wasn't looking.  There's also a whole early history about the development of the game that's more interesting that your speculation on how it "could have all started".
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

kurtinrod62

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2005, 12:35:10 PM »
Great site. Only, if Concentration were to be brought back, why not use 30 squares instead of 25?

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2005, 02:42:29 PM »
[quote name=\'kurtinrod62\' date=\'Nov 12 2005, 12:35 PM\']Great site. Only, if Concentration were to be brought back, why not use 30 squares instead of 25?
[snapback]102089[/snapback]
[/quote]
Cause it'll take longer to reveal a puzzle.

Brandon Brooks