Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hollywood Squares  (Read 6368 times)

gsnstooge

Hollywood Squares
« on: November 12, 2005, 02:41:50 PM »
Do you remember any celebs on HS who would give little or no bluffs and just answer the question?  The only one I can think of is Kathy Ireland, but my brother said it was because of her high voice.

BrandonFG

Hollywood Squares
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 10:03:43 AM »
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Nov 12 2005, 02:41 PM\']Do you remember any celebs on HS who would give little or no bluffs and just answer the question?  The only one I can think of is Kathy Ireland, but my brother said it was because of her high voice.
[snapback]102093[/snapback]
[/quote]
When Lou Rawls was on, he seemed to just answer the question.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Don Howard

Hollywood Squares
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 11:23:12 AM »
Three others are Tony Randall, Glenn Ford and James Farentino.

Ian Wallis

Hollywood Squares
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 04:17:48 PM »
Rosie O'Donnell.  She felt too guilty about bluffing and usually told the contestant if she didn't know.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

BrandonFG

Hollywood Squares
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 07:40:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Nov 13 2005, 04:17 PM\']Rosie O'Donnell.  She felt too guilty about bluffing and usually told the contestant if she didn't know.
[snapback]102154[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh man, yes. I hated the way she'd give a bluff, and shake her head no to basically tell the contestant to disagree. Was she even invited back after that week of shows?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

Hollywood Squares
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 07:53:29 PM »
Homer Simpson: Should I read from the sheet marked "jokes" or "answers"?

The Pyramids

Hollywood Squares
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2005, 08:45:42 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Nov 13 2005, 07:53 PM\']Homer Simpson: Should I read from the sheet marked "jokes" or "answers"?
[snapback]102167[/snapback]
[/quote]

What was that from?

Kevin Prather

Hollywood Squares
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 08:54:40 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Nov 13 2005, 06:45 PM\'][quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Nov 13 2005, 07:53 PM\']Homer Simpson: Should I read from the sheet marked "jokes" or "answers"?
[/quote]

What was that from?
[snapback]102169[/snapback]
[/quote]

)trebekdumbsob

;-)

Don Howard

Hollywood Squares
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 10:54:03 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Nov 13 2005, 08:45 PM\'][quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Nov 13 2005, 07:53 PM\']Homer Simpson: Should I read from the sheet marked "jokes" or "answers"?
[/quote]
What was that from?
[/quote]
History I.Q. John Davidson, please lend this person your sign.

Kevin Prather

Hollywood Squares
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2005, 11:40:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Nov 13 2005, 08:54 PM\'][quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Nov 13 2005, 08:45 PM\'][quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Nov 13 2005, 07:53 PM\']Homer Simpson: Should I read from the sheet marked "jokes" or "answers"?
[/quote]
What was that from?
[/quote]
History I.Q. John Davidson, please lend this person your sign.
[snapback]102179[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'll save you your whooosh, but get that detector checked. :)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Hollywood Squares
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 07:51:32 AM »
I actually wanted to start a thread about this a long time ago, but couldn't figure out how. So I'll just jump in.  

One week had Charo sitting in one of the boxes.  I don't get why she was on the show that much, but one incident stuck in my head.  Tom asks the question, and she gives the answer, followed by "Agree! Agree! Agree!".  This was for a win, mind you.  Contestant agrees, wins the $1,000, and we go on.

It seems incredibly against the spirit of the game to have the celebrities shaking their heads, shouting advice and doing stuff like that.  They're paid to crack a joke, give an answer, and that's it.  I never watched the show if Charo was sitting in a box ever again, because that seemed to give the opponent a bum deal.
Travis L. Eberle

Brandon Brooks

Hollywood Squares
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 08:27:13 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Nov 14 2005, 07:51 AM\']I never watched the show if Charo was sitting in a box ever again, because that seemed to give the opponent a bum deal.
[snapback]102205[/snapback]
[/quote]
On the same token, something like that happened on one of my shows.  It was the final show of the college tourney, and I was handily beating the cutie from Arizona State.  Then Nile Rogers is asked a question.  He says something to the effect that "The answer is blank, I know it's blank... Now let's go win some money!"  She agreed.  He was wrong, wrong, wrong, and it cost her dearly.  I didn't like him for that, but I got over that pretty quick.  ;-)

Brandon Brooks

uncamark

Hollywood Squares
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2005, 11:09:48 AM »
In the midst of all this, we forget Robert Fuller from "Emergency!" in the original run of "Squares."  No jokes, just an immediate and confident answer--and half the time he was lying through his teeth.  Marshall called him the greatest bluffer in the history of the show.

And on the original, where Randall was always immediate and confident was in opera.  However, the writers would always include a multiple choice in the opera question on purpose, so that the regular panelist on "Texaco's Opera Quiz" on the Metropolitan Opera Saturday broadcasts could give Marshall a look of disdain as he whipped his dark glasses back on (because of the lights, or so he said).

And on occasion:

RANDALL:  I haven't the slightest idea.

MARSHALL:  THIS IS A GAME OF BLUFF, YOU SILLY GOOSE!

Randall would usually come up with an answer (and perhaps be correct), but he did like jerking game show hosts around--just ask Dick Clark.

Mike Tennant

Hollywood Squares
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2005, 11:47:58 AM »
Also, when it comes to Marshall era, it's known that the show's writers only wrote jokes for some of the celebrities.  Thus, unless a celebrity with no scripted jokes was unusually quick-witted (such as Mel Brooks), it was probably in his best interest just to answer the question rather than stumble through a lame retort.

I have no idea what the policy for writing jokes was on later editions, but it seemed like most celebrities had prepared material on Davidson's and Bergeron's shows.  Perhaps some just didn't feel comfortable cracking jokes.

whewfan

Hollywood Squares
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2005, 02:13:51 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' date=\'Nov 13 2005, 08:45 PM\']
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Nov 13 2005, 07:53 PM\']Homer Simpson: Should I read from the sheet marked "jokes" or "answers"?
[/quote]

What was that from?

Homer Simpson appeared as center square on HS on an episode of the Simpsons, which also guest starred Ron Howard.

It's not the only time Simpsons made a HS reference

On one episode that poked fun at the Davidson era, there's an ep. where the Simpsons are watching HS being taped on the beach in Florida, and a tidal wave wipes out the celebs. Charley Weaver refuses to leave his square (whom the animators incorrectly placed on the lower right)

Also, on another episode, they showed Paul Lynde being asked if he was gay. He replied "Circle gets the square!"