Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Shows that could have competed with Wheel and Jep  (Read 7072 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Shows that could have competed with Wheel and Jep
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2005, 11:23:59 PM »
[quote name=\'nbcburbank\' date=\'Nov 16 2005, 08:04 PM\']Ok now I get it. It's everyone is a comedian day here at the Game Show Forum. Hopefully tomorrow I can get some serious answers.
[snapback]102445[/snapback]
[/quote]
Hopefully tomorrow you'll ask a less idiotic question.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

cacLA8383

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2005, 11:34:54 PM »
[quote name=\'nbcburbank\' date=\'Nov 16 2005, 11:04 PM\']Ok now I get it. It's everyone is a comedian day here at the Game Show Forum. Hopefully tomorrow I can get some serious answers.
[/quote]

If you think that'll happen, FORGET IT!!!

(Just had to throw that in for kicks. :-D)

nbcburbank

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2005, 11:52:58 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 16 2005, 11:23 PM\'][quote name=\'nbcburbank\' date=\'Nov 16 2005, 08:04 PM\']Ok now I get it. It's everyone is a comedian day here at the Game Show Forum. Hopefully tomorrow I can get some serious answers.
[/quote]
Hopefully tomorrow you'll ask a less idiotic question.
[snapback]102448[/snapback]
[/quote]

I was not aware that insults are welcome here. I thought this was mature Forum. Not one for Jokers.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2005, 12:16:12 AM »
[quote name=\'nbcburbank\' date=\'Nov 16 2005, 11:52 PM\'] I was not aware that insults are welcome here. I thought this was mature Forum. Not one for Jokers.
[/quote]
Dude.  Take a step back in the mirror and look at the question you wrote.  Do you HONESTLY think that Password Plus could compete?

If you post on GSN's boards, and are used to their babysitting service--that's not provided here.  All strollers and Pull-Ups are left at "Buzz".
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2005, 12:18:32 AM »
[quote name=\'nbcburbank\' date=\'Nov 16 2005, 08:52 PM\']I was not aware that insults are welcome here. I thought this was mature Forum. Not one for Jokers.
[snapback]102452[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh, no, I assure you, there is no shortage of jokers around here.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2005, 12:36:48 AM »
From a purely ratings standpoint, I would say 21 and "64k Question," before we found out about the manipulation.  All the other viable contemporary formats have been revived (some even twice) since 1983 and Wheel has rolled over them.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2005, 01:05:16 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 17 2005, 12:18 AM\']Oh, no, I assure you, there is no shortage of jokers around here.[/quote]

"There are more jokers on the board, and that means that the discussion is more exciting."

The part of the question that really gets me is "exactly in the form they once were". Wheel and Jeopardy! themselves are miles away, at least in appearance, from what they were 20 years ago. They've got decades of polish, seasoned hosts and crews, and so on. If Password Plus were going into its 24th syndicated season, with Tom Kennedy known to as many college students as Bob Barker, yeah, it could complete with the top shows. But that would be largely *because* it was going into its 24th season, etc.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

sshuffield70

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2005, 09:30:40 AM »
[quote name=\'nbcburbank\' date=\'Nov 16 2005, 11:52 PM\']I was not aware that insults are welcome here. I thought this was mature Forum. Not one for Jokers.
[snapback]102452[/snapback]
[/quote]

Spin the wheels, nbcburbank!

<pulls lever......wheels spin>

Joker! <Chris Lemon's face>....Joker! <Carl's face>.....Joker!!!! <Mark Odor's face>

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2005, 09:40:44 AM »
Personally... I think if Jack Barry hadn't have passed away when he did... that TJW and TTD would have given Wheel and Jeopardy! a run of their money... at least for a while.

Itt's just ponderous to me how quickly B&E just collapsed on itself after Barry died.
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

zachhoran

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2005, 10:27:08 AM »
[quote name=\'bossjock967\' date=\'Nov 17 2005, 09:40 AM\']Personally... I think if Jack Barry hadn't have passed away when he did... that TJW and TTD would have given Wheel and Jeopardy! a run of their money... at least for a while.

Itt's just ponderous to me how quickly B&E just collapsed on itself after Barry died.
[snapback]102479[/snapback]
[/quote]

TJW/TTD were starting to decline by the time WOF debuted(JAck was still alive then), and we reported on ATGS that Jack was considering retirement and possibly not bringing TJW to NATPE after the 1983-84 season. I'm surprised the shows even made it to 1985-86, and even if Jack Barry had lived, I doubt they would have lasted any longer. Recall that Feud was still a top 10 show in syndication even with the onslaught of WOF, and was still axed after the 1984-85 season. TJW and TTD's ratings in 1984-85 were probably much lower than that.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 10:28:55 AM by zachhoran »

Don Howard

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2005, 10:37:46 AM »
Taking this another route, would WOF as a Chuck Woolery and Susan Stafford co-hosted vehicle have made it to a 23rd syndicated season? Likewise, would Jeopardy! starring an 80-year old Art Fleming (yes, I know Art went over the rainbow long ago, but I think our OP has asked us to suspend disbelief for this exercise) be a hit in its 22nd year? For that matter, would Entertainment Tonight be in its 25th season had Tom Hallick, Ron Hendren and Marjorie Wallace stuck around?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 10:39:09 AM by Don Howard »

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2005, 12:35:03 PM »
To nbcburbank: Chris's toleration for bad questions and poor comments are short, no doubt helped by the tons of idiots that have come before you.  While I don't think you're an idiot, you're asking the kind of question we would expect to see from a fanboy board; and so the short-circuited assumption is that you're going to ask more bad questions.  Don't ask bad questions, and the short-circuiting will eventually stop (Even from Chris).

The threshold for catching flack for creating a thread is much lower than that for commenting on a thread, especially when you've been here less than a week.  Take some time, get familiar with who does what around here, offer some good points where you can, and you won't be a newb.  Pushing back against the entrenched method of initiation (like you're doing here) is a bit like a fish flopping around on a boat -- the more you fight, the faster you suffocate yourself.

And they're right, you know -- the correct answer is "None of the Above".  Come to accept why that's the case, and you'll save yourself a lot of grief.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

dzinkin

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2005, 05:08:01 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Nov 17 2005, 10:27 AM\']we reported on ATGS
[snapback]102481[/snapback]
[/quote]
Zach, "we" did not report anything.  Unless you're going to cite a specific person's comments (and in that case a link to the specific post should be included), please speak only for yourself.

tvwxman

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2005, 06:25:08 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Nov 17 2005, 05:08 PM\'][quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Nov 17 2005, 10:27 AM\']we reported on ATGS
[snapback]102481[/snapback]
[/quote]
Zach, "we" did not report anything.  Unless you're going to cite a specific person's comments (and in that case a link to the specific post should be included), please speak only for yourself.
[snapback]102507[/snapback]
[/quote]

he's speaking for his vast legion of friends, thus the correct use of the word "we".

bwahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2005, 06:46:13 PM »
You might have something with JOKER...if Barker did a night TPIR, maybe - but that's - as stated - in fantasyland.

B&E imploded after Jack's death for many reasons - Jack was the glue, the oil on the water that smoothed the waves Enright made. Dan and Rich Kline didn't get along, and when Rich stormed out after Jack's death, a number of B&E people went with him. I suspect that there was no longer an effective creative staff after that. Dan was good at taking care of the production end - how creative a developer he was has yet to be determined. Jack was reportedly the better salesman to the networks and syndicators. Dan went into an emotional tailspin after Jack's death, getting into a couple of relationships he probably shouldn't have, neglecting his ill wife. And Dan broke off business ties with his son's production company - the one that gave Dan his only Emmy. When he partnered up with Susan Stafford, a news article had them offering only vague ideas as to what they were going to produce. Hard to say how long knew he had cancer, but the last years without Jack didn't amount to much. If anyone in the biz closer to them has any corrections on these, let me know.