Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pick-a-Show  (Read 2889 times)

Ian Wallis

Pick-a-Show
« on: November 16, 2005, 09:05:57 AM »
In scanning old TVGuide listings from the late '60s, there were at least a couple of stations in New York State that aired something called "Pick-a-Show", which was listed as "Game".  It was on for quite a while.  This is not listed in the EOTVGS, and the listings don't indicate anything other than the title.  I'm just wondering if it might have been some kind of regional show.

Anyone know anything about it?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

Pick-a-Show
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 12:43:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Nov 16 2005, 08:05 AM\']In scanning old TVGuide listings from the late '60s, there were at least a couple of stations in New York State that aired something called "Pick-a-Show", which was listed as "Game".  It was on for quite a while.  This is not listed in the EOTVGS, and the listings don't indicate anything other than the title.  I'm just wondering if it might have been some kind of regional show.

Anyone know anything about it?
[snapback]102356[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sounds like somewhere in upstate New York--on a vacation as a little kid, I think I saw it.  Like a lot of these programs, it was a talk show-game show hybrid.  The "Pick-a-Show" part had a caller choose from several programs on that station (which was an NBC affiliate) on a game board.  If they picked the one that hid the station logo, they got to go on to the next level and a bigger prize.  Nothing real big here.  It seems to me that the CBS station in that market had against it their version of "Dialing for Dollars," which had a studio audience, interviews, a sign on the set proclaiming it "Your Community Service Program" and a live band featuring an accordion.  A wunnerful, a wunnerful.

JohnTheGameMan

Pick-a-Show
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 07:36:27 PM »
I remember in San Francisco back in the mid-60s, there was a version of "Pick A Show" on KRON, which back then was an NBC Affiliate.  The game was hosted by Art Finley, who earlier on KRON was best known as "Mayor Art", which was a children's show.
And yes, the game had a few levels and the player had to guess where the call letters were on each level, then after successfully getting all the call letters, the contestant (All were phone contestants) had to choose where the station number was behind six to eight panels.  If that person found the station number, that person would win the grand prize.
It was a simple game which lasted almost a year, as I recall, but it was a fun show.