Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Marathon - USA  (Read 10272 times)

TravisP

Game Show Marathon - USA
« on: November 21, 2005, 06:21:55 AM »
Variety and Digital Spy are now reporting that CBS has picked up the US rights to produce Game Show Marathon. As shown on ITV1 last month.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds26488.html

BrandonFG

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 06:25:40 AM »
Cool idea...would love to see how it plays out, and further, what effect it could have on the genre during a slight slump.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TimK2003

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 08:53:24 AM »
I like the idea...Much like how DoND is going to be shown over 4 different nights in one week to see what their strongest night could be, GSM could be used to see what show(s) out of the 7 possible garner enough audience interest for possible reincarnation.

It's a rather safe best that all 7 shows would come from the Goodson/Fremantle stable.  And it looks as though Card Sharks, WML, and Match Game will be featured. Let the speculation begin on the others.... CoughCoughPasswordCoughCough!

And let's all hope that they will keep the shows as close to their original formats as possible...NO FRIGGIN "CLIP CHIPS"!!!

vtown7

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 11:03:42 AM »
Would it be safe to guess that they'll all be old CBS shows - CS, WML, MG and even Password as suggested by Tim (above me)?

Other thoughts on what shows will appear?  I'd love, for example to see Scrabble or Sale...

Ryan :)

weaklink75

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 11:05:10 AM »
It could be interesting....I would have to think PYL could be one (easy to do for three people). WML and TTTT could work OK (base the winner of the show on correct answers or something to that effect).....and here's a wildcard for you-how about Showoffs/Body Language? The only question I have however is what kind of show could be done for 6 or 5 players (let's assume for the moment that TPIR and FF are off the board since they're on the air currently)?

Neumms

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 11:12:45 AM »
Sounds terrific.

So if it's celebrities playing all the games, how then does a celebrity game work? Would it be two celebrities trying to match six people off the street?

bulldog_06

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 11:40:17 AM »
Don't you mean Spring 2006?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 11:42:53 AM »
[quote name=\'bulldog_06\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 11:40 AM\']Don't you mean Spring 2006?
[/quote]
I'm sure Travis knows what the hell he's talking about, and he simply made a typo.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Brig Bother

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 11:47:23 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 04:12 PM\']Sounds terrific.

So if it's celebrities playing all the games, how then does a celebrity game work? Would it be two celebrities trying to match six people off the street?
[snapback]102731[/snapback]
[/quote]

I predict matching with... different celebrities!

Incidentally, in the Brit show, games that were played as couples meant that the celeb bought a Real Life friend in (or in the case of our Bullseye, a professional darts partner). For Family Fortunes (Feud, whatever) they played with their real families.

mmb5

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 12:22:18 PM »
For those of you wanting to play what-if-or-what-could-be:

They started off with six celebrities and they played a three-pricing game TPIR.  The winner of that went to the semifinals.

The five remaining celebrities then played a game called Take Your Pick, which had elements of Let's Make a Deal and Deal or No Deal.  The winner of that went to the seminfinals.

The four remaining celebrities then played a game called The Golden Shot.  There is not an American game equivalent of this, maybe the FCC does not allow in-studio archery.  The winner of that went to the semifinals.

The three remaining celebrities then played Sale of the Century.  The winner of that went to the semifinals, the two remaining celebs were elminiated.

The first semifinals was Card Sharks, but with the U.K. twist that it was a "couples game".  Each of the two players brought a friend along.  The winner went to the finals, the loser was eliminated.

The second semifinals was Bullseye, the U.K. version with darts, therefore completing the government mandate that at least 2 of every 7 game shows involve projectiles.  Note here that the normal version had three teams of one dart thrower and one question answerer, for the purposes of the marathon, there were only two teams with an imported dart champion.  The winner went to the finals, the loser was eliminated.

The finals were Family Feud with the final two celebs' actual families.

The issues you have are:

*Two of the seven shows are on the air here.  None of the shows above were currently on the air in the U.K.  I don't think Bob is going to let a B-list comedian host his show.

*Three of the shows don't have U.S. equivalents, although LMAD could easily substitute for Take Your Pick.  The four-person All-Star Password format could substitute for The Golden Shot (and I guess archery could be worked in if necessary).  Pretty much any 2-person game could take over for Bullseye.

*Other than Tom Bergeron, I really don't know if we have a talent that can pull hosting five-to-seven distinct games or do them with the slight hint of irony that the British version did.  Knowing our luck, it's Billy Bush, who wouldn't know irony if it was fed to him on a teleprompter.

*Does CBS have six B-listers willing to be the contestants?  For the British one, you had a game show co-host, a reality show host, two talk show hosts and two older actors.  Not that CBS has to be wed to that breakdown, but the rough U.S. equivalents would be: Vanna White, Phil Keoghan, Marilyn Milian, Rachel Ray, Brad Garrett and Joshua Morrow.  Would the average viewer be thrilled by this?

As much as I would want to see this here, snapping up the rights and actually producing the thing are two different things.  If you want to see the marathon from this year, I do have them in a lovely U.S. format.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 12:28:13 PM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 08:05 AM\']It could be interesting....I would have to think PYL could be one (easy to do for three people).
[snapback]102730[/snapback]
[/quote]
While it does not surprise me that the Tomarkenites jumped to their feet and started in with the PYL chant the second this news hit, is anyone really deluded enough to think they would go to the considerable expense of building a PYL set for a one-shot deal?

(Wait, what am I saying.....)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 12:30:57 PM »
Since this is supposed to be a short term five to six week thing, I think it would be in the best interest to all for CBS to try to have their current sitcom stars play with Bob Barker hosting.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

rugrats1

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 12:33:08 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 12:22 PM\']The four remaining celebrities then played a game called The Golden Shot.  There is not an American game equivalent of this, maybe the FCC does not allow in-studio archery.[/quote]

Actually, there was an American equivalent in the early-1970s, but it wasn't national -- in Los Angeles, KHJ ch.9 (now KCAL) aired "The Golden Shot Movie", which was practically the same as the British "Shot", but with a movie instead of a musical guest. This, of course, was during an era of Dialing for Dollars' popularity, but with a crossbow and target instead of the "count and amount".

Matt Ottinger

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 12:58:25 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 12:03 PM\']Would it be safe to guess that they'll all be old CBS shows - CS, WML, MG and even Password as suggested by Tim (above me)?[/quote]
No, it would not.  The network that the shows appeared on originally will be almost completely irrelevant to which ones are picked.  The fact that many Goodson/Fremantle games happened to air on CBS will be a coincidence, not a reason to choose them.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

mmb5

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 02:01:35 PM »
Just read the Variety article:

*This is a Freemantle thing in association with Granada.  So I would assume only Freemantle shows, since I do not believe Granada owns any U.S. formats.
*Several networks were in the bidding.
*They mention Match Game and WML in the article, but I just don't see how WML would work.

Not mentioned in the article but it's worth mentioning in case anybody is reading:
*There are several people around here who know how to put on several different game shows in adaptive environments.  Or even just write solid questions.  Operators are standing by.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.