Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Marathon - USA  (Read 10273 times)

rugrats1

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2005, 12:41:37 AM »
[quote name=\'remlap\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 03:08 PM\']Please note I hate Carlton for destroying Harlech TV and everything ITV Plc stands for.
[/quote]

Before ITV became a "PLC", they were a cooperative of independently-owned television companies. Now, Carlton and Granada not only owns most of ITV's affiliates, but they own the ITV network itself (which is where the "PLC" comes in).

In Canada, CTV, a network that's very similar in structure to ITV, suffered the same fate, but only one company was involved -- Bell Canada. Simply put, if you were Canadian, you would've said something like:

"Please note I hate Bell for destroying CFCF and everything CTV stands for."

[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 12:15 AM\']...they may also decide to go snarky and ironic, so that would open up a huge field of comedian-types.
[/quote]

Aren't Ant and Dec, the creators and hosts of the ITV version, comedian types?

Jimmy Owen

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2005, 12:42:29 AM »
Well, another thing they could do is start with Bob for an IUFB and then send it to TK for Password, Peter T. for PYL, Jack for NYSI (I know, longshot), Bob E. for Card Sharks etc.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 12:43:51 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2005, 01:56:23 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 09:42 PM\']Well, another thing they could do is start with Bob for an IUFB and then send it to TK for Password, Peter T. for PYL, Jack for NYSI (I know, longshot), Bob E. for Card Sharks etc.
[snapback]102841[/snapback]
[/quote]
Okay, that makes miles more sense than just flat-out suggesting Barker do the whole thing.

(Though I hope you will excuse me if the thought of Eubanks doing Card Sharks again doesn't blow my skirt.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2005, 02:02:23 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 01:56 AM\'](Though I hope you will excuse me if the thought of Eubanks doing Card Sharks again doesn't blow my skirt.)
[snapback]102845[/snapback]
[/quote]
I'm trying to excuse you for wearing a skirt.

I'll be here all week.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

remlap

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2005, 04:38:49 AM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 06:41 AM\'][quote name=\'remlap\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 03:08 PM\']Please note I hate Carlton for destroying Harlech TV and everything ITV Plc stands for.
[/quote]

Before ITV became a "PLC", they were a cooperative of independently-owned television companies. Now, Carlton and Granada not only owns most of ITV's affiliates, but they own the ITV network itself (which is where the "PLC" comes in).

In Canada, CTV, a network that's very similar in structure to ITV, suffered the same fate, but only one company was involved -- Bell Canada. Simply put, if you were Canadian, you would've said something like:

"Please note I hate Bell for destroying CFCF and everything CTV stands for."

[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 12:15 AM\']...they may also decide to go snarky and ironic, so that would open up a huge field of comedian-types.
[/quote]

[snapback]102840[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wasnt CTV organised like an American network where the local stations dont produce the shows aired on the whole network the network does?

I would say ITV network was similar to PBS is today and from its start.

Ant and Dec did help to desive the show they were incredibly exicted to do TPiR beyond belief it shows it can be done here again.

Brig Bother

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2005, 05:08:55 AM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 05:41 AM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 12:15 AM\']...they may also decide to go snarky and ironic, so that would open up a huge field of comedian-types.
[/quote]

[snapback]102840[/snapback]
[/quote]

The UK one had lots of respect for the original shows really, although each game was preceded by five minutes of original clips (very good ones, generally) and tedious talking heads.

I wouldn't say that Ant and Dec are comedians as such, but they are very funny and likable broadcasters. They're currently hosting our fifth series of megahit I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! and I think it's fair to say that a fair proportion of viewers watch it particularly for their antics.

tvwxman

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2005, 08:20:35 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 09:27 PM\'][quote name=\'Stackertosh\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 05:37 PM\']i was just asking who will host it not one of your cheap insults.
[snapback]102798[/snapback]
[/quote]
I assure you, my insults are NOT cheap. I just charge the Forum a bulk rate. :)
[snapback]102808[/snapback]
[/quote]

Best deal the forum ever purchased. Those per diem insults were killing the budget. That was around Iris, Witch, and Chumley joined, no?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

tvwxman

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2005, 08:24:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 05:08 AM\']

The UK one had lots of respect for the original shows really, although each game was preceded by five minutes of original clips (very good ones, generally) and tedious talking heads.

I wouldn't say that Ant and Dec are comedians as such, but they are very funny and likable broadcasters. They're currently hosting our fifth series of megahit I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! and I think it's fair to say that a fair proportion of viewers watch it particularly for their antics.
[snapback]102852[/snapback]
[/quote]

There's got to be an ulterior motive here.

CBS spending the time and effort to built and set up a half dozen shows for ONE episode each? They've got to be ready to do some 'pilot' research, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if some of the shows ended up coming back as a result.

Question for the UK set (ahem, Brig Bother, who definitely knows what he's talking about!) Were the sets lavishly done to recreate the original versions, or done on the cheap?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

remlap

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2005, 09:10:02 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 02:24 PM\'][quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 05:08 AM\']

[snapback]102852[/snapback]
[/quote]

There's got to be an ulterior motive here.

CBS spending the time and effort to built and set up a half dozen shows for ONE episode each? They've got to be ready to do some 'pilot' research, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if some of the shows ended up coming back as a result.

Question for the UK set (ahem, Brig Bother, who definitely knows what he's talking about!) Were the sets lavishly done to recreate the original versions, or done on the cheap?
[snapback]102861[/snapback]
[/quote]

They used the same set for each just added stuff each week, if you have access to golden-road.net I created a gallery there of the TPiR specail the set was identical for each version.

Once I get home ill screen shot each episode to show you lot the set.

Brig Bother

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2005, 09:17:13 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 01:24 PM\']Question for the UK set (ahem, Brig Bother, who definitely knows what he's talking about!) Were the sets lavishly done to recreate the original versions, or done on the cheap?
[snapback]102861[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hmm. The Gameshow Marathon was set on a big stage, and a large turntable in the middle changed each week to represent the show that was being played that day.

The sets were usually quite good representations of the original sets as far as a turntable set up would allow. Where the old props existed, or new ones in the old style could be made, they seemed to be used. But if you're expecting detailed replicas, you're going to feel let down.

There were lots of anachronisms when shows that had several versions were played. For example, TPiR used the original Crowther titles, logo and decorations but with Brucie's PiR monitors and pricing game props. Similarly Play Your Cards Right used the original 80s theme tune, titles and representative set but used the 90s versions tables and LCD screens.

Where these were several versions of a show, the older theme and titles was usually the one that was used, unless (like The Golden Shot) a later set of titles became more associated with the show in question (the one where the host goes "Up a bit! Left a bit! Down a bit! Fire!" over the animation).

The other thing you should know is that the games weren't played in exactly the same manner as the originals and a few were modified to fit in with the Gameshow Marathon format whilst keeping the essence of the originals alive. This is partly a result of stretching out what was originally a 30 minute show into 45 minutes, and also that each game has to be self-contained with just one victor. For example, The Golden Shot was played in the style of a worst-performer-in-each-round drops out competition, whereas the actual show was a single elimination competition with returning champions. Similarly the tie break round on Play Your Cards Right was played as a normal five card round rather than a trad three card round.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 09:18:55 AM by Brig Bother »

JayDLewis

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2005, 10:48:02 AM »
Speaking only for the grabs I've seen for TPiR, it's done on the cheap.

The original Plinko board was brought out of someone's broom closet (the UK Bob Boden??) as the 2nd version is in Portugal. The "showcase range finder" went from a 4*4 video wall on BPiR to a smallish 50" plasma or rear projection TV. They also reused the pricetag/small prize stands from game to game (they played Cliffhanger, Plinko and Race Game).

Someone mentioned CBS going to the expense of remaking the PYL board...not necessary. All you need is one digital projector, there's your board.

And $otC...I dunno, doesn't really seem to work as a one-off show. Unless you have the WBMG, it'd be pointless.

Also, since this is obviously a test bed for bringing back an "old" show, I doubt you'll see TPiR in the mix (despite it being the cheapest to produce of any show).
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2005, 12:05:24 PM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 07:48 AM\']Someone mentioned CBS going to the expense of remaking the PYL board...not necessary. All you need is one digital projector, there's your board.
[snapback]102878[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thought of that, and then immediately prayed that wouldn't happen. GOD would that suck.

I think I've said it before, and I know I've said it with regard to Hollywood Squares, but PYL is all about the Big Board. Without a Big Board, there's nothing. A Big Simulated Board is LESS than nothing. Part of what killed Whammy was that there was no feel of Big Board on the set.

I agree with WeatherMatt that, if this should come to fruition (and I am watching with great amusement as The Usual Suspects are already deciding who should host and what should be played and what time should it be on and OMG THIS IS THE GREATEST THING EVAR I SHALL BUY AN HDTV JUST FOR THIS!!!!!111!!!ELEVEN when nothing is set in plaster of Paris yet, much less stone), that the network research people will no doubt be watching with great interest to see which shows are well-received and which aren't.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2005, 02:33:33 PM »
Somehow, it seems to me that no one across the Atlantic ever expected anything more out of this than a programming stunt to help commemorate ITV's 50th anniversary--but I guess money talks.

And as much as can be said about the WGMC's monster ego, even Barker knows his limitations.  I don't see him being the Ant and Dec of this project--but I'm not sure if there is an Ant and Dec-type team on our side of the pond.  It sure ain't Seacrest and Dunkelman.  :)

GS Warehouse

Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2005, 12:03:12 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Nov 22 2005, 02:33 PM\']... I'm not sure if there is an Ant and Dec-type team on our side of the pond.  It sure ain't Seacrest and Dunkelman.  :)
[snapback]102908[/snapback]
[/quote]
Just hire Seacrest.  His ego's big enough to fill both roles. :-)

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Game Show Marathon - USA
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2005, 06:43:56 PM »
Kenny and Spenny?

I KID.
@lambertman