Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Trying out for a game show?  (Read 10167 times)

jhuhn

Trying out for a game show?
« on: November 21, 2005, 09:24:20 AM »
As you know by show, trying out for a game show such as Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy! and Millionaire is like winning the lottery.

As you know over a million people try out for game and reality shows each year.  However, only a precious few are chosen and some game shows are unfair as some only allow U.S. residents to try out which I think violate the Human Rights code.  (I think Millionaire has violated that rule.)  I don't think suing the show can be of help too if you live outside of the United States.  I know TPIR, Lingo, Jeopardy! and Wheel had non-American players in the past.

Then there's travel.  You are responsible to arrange any travel to get to the show so my advice is unless you got a vacation and meet with family and friends over there, you should only go when it's necessary or you'd be blowing over $2,000 in expenses if you don't make the cut.

Now some reality shows that have the minimum age of 21 is something I should not argue on this.  Of course the game shows usually have 18 as the minimum age, but the reason some shows have 21 is the alcohol that's involved.  We don't want to see competitors drinking illegally.

The Apprentice is one reality show that I can't argue of having only U.S. residents compete.  My logic to this is that if say a Canadian was on the show, it would violate the immigration laws and all non-U.S. residents have to clear immigration first before they can work legally in the U.S. and those that make the cut of 18 candidates have to have agents and say nothing as to what is happening in the series, or they could face $5 million in damages.

I cannot argue on game shows that won't allow people running for political office and those that work for the show, network, studio or its sponsors.

And yes, there are taxes to pay on what you win.  They take 7% (in California & New York) of total winnings you earn on the show.  After all, your taxes are being put to work on building more expressways and fixing them.  You also have to wait up to 120 days after the show's airing date in order to receive your cash and/or prizes after taxes.

So the best bet to trying out for certain shows is to be patient, don't rush things.  Hopefully if they do a search in your city, you can go over there instead.  Remember to be yourself and don't be nervous.  Good luck to all that hope to audition for any show in the future.

I am not saying they chose people at random (maybe for TPIR), but they choose people who pass certain tests and then there's a waiting period to get you in if availbility permits.  They want as much geographic rivally as possible.  This is my opinion and we are allowed to make debates on game show eligibility.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 09:28:05 PM by jhuhn »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 10:08:30 AM »
However, only a precious few are chosen and some game shows are unfair as some only allow U.S. residents to try out which I think violate the Human Rights code.
This is the most mindless drivel ever, except for "the poem".

Humans are not entitled to appear on a game show.  They are entitled to lifes basic necessties--food, shelter, and so on.  Furthermore, this is America.  It should be only US citizens (I know, that TPiR lets Canadians on).

It is not feasably possible to accomidate everyone who wishes to be on a show.

We don't want to see competitors drinking illegally.
No, you don't want to see them drink illegally.  
After all, your taxes are being put to work on building more expressways and fixing them.
Yeah, because making a better infrastructure is such a waste of money.

As you know over a million people try out for game and reality shows each year.
Actually, I didn't know that...since I don't, I ask someone else--is this stat accurate?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 01:11:54 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 10:36:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 07:08 AM\']Furthermore, this is America.  It should be only US citizens
[/quote]
You were doing so well until you whipped out the Lee Greenwood.

Other than that, you're right on the money.

And oh, jhuhn: playing the "human rights" card  with regard to being a contestant on a friggin' GAME SHOW, what with all of the human right's atrocities that ARE happening in the world today, REALLY makes you look like a ninny. And that's quite an accomplishment based on your posting history.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 10:38:42 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 11:33:26 AM »
[quote name=\'jhuhn\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 10:24 AM\']As you know by show, trying out for a game show such as Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy! and Millionaire is like winning the lottery.[/quote]
Not even remotely close.  Winning the lottery is a multi-millions-to-one chance and is completely random.  When you try out for a game or reality show you are being judged.  You might be tested on some combination of your skill, your knowledge or your personality, and those who have whatever it is that the producers are looking for will be distinctly more likely to be selected.  If you go in with the idea that it's random, chances are you're not the sort of person they're looking for.

The rest of what you have to say is only true in the most naive and simplistic way.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

jmangin

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 11:36:25 AM »
Well there's three minutes of my life I wasted reading this that I'd like back.  Is someone jaded that they haven't been selected as a contestant?  hmm...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 11:36:39 AM by jmangin »

clemon79

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 12:24:30 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 08:36 AM\']Well there's three minutes of my life I wasted reading this that I'd like back.  Is someone jaded that they haven't been selected as a contestant?  hmm...
[snapback]102733[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yeah, I was gonna ask if he wanted some cheese to go with that whine, but then I saw the "human rights" thing and just realized it was out-and-out crap.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 12:24:46 PM by clemon79 »

mmb5

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 12:28:42 PM »
How have I managed to live a reasonably complete life despite the fact I'm 0-for-9 in tryouts?  Was this some sort of 9th grade English assignment you just decided to add to a message board?

And 7% on taxes?  You forgot a digit.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

tomobrien

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 01:42:18 PM »
[quote name=\'jhuhn\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 08:24 AM\']And yes, there are taxes to pay on what you win.  They take 7% of total winnings you earn on the show. 
[snapback]102725[/snapback]
[/quote]
Wow!  7%, huh?  Hey, I think I need to invoke the Human Rights Code and ask for some money back.
This one's so far past a "WHOOSH" it hurts.

jpsesq

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 02:57:06 PM »
I'll try to straighten a few things out.  You have a much better chance of getting on a game show (maybe 1 in 100) than winning the lottery (maybe 1 in 40,000,000).  But, if auditioning to a game show involves long distance travel you should think twice before incurring the expense because it is still a long shot.  I wish the taxes on game show winnings were 7%.  My understanding is that it's closer to 40%

J.R.

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 04:39:12 PM »
It's been announced that President Bush has ordered the invasions for the removal of the leaders of Zimbabwe, Portugal and Colombia for their "refusal to allow the people to participate in game shows, which is a clear violation of the Mark Goodson Human Rights Code."

The Mark Goodson Human Rights Code was signed by game show producers from around the world in Geneva (Ohio). It ensures those who wish to see an apperance on an game show is given full cooperation with fair treatment.

Comming soon: "Reg Grundy's Fourteen Points".
-Joe R.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 04:46:24 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 05:14:03 PM »
Joe wins the thread.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 06:06:17 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 05:14 PM\']Joe wins the thread.[/quote]

A very impressive feat, considering the thread. This was a "mouth hanging agape in disbelief" read for me.

I guess I can manage to bring up one point: "over a million people try out for game and reality shows each year". That's rather like saying "over a billion people live in Alaska or China".
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

ChuckNet

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 06:47:46 PM »
Do you know how many Canadian shows used Americans as contestants, even bending over backwards to "de-Canuckize" (to coin a phrase) shows like Pitfall, Love Me, Love Me Not, etc. to try and make them look as American as possible? And don't get me started on Paddy Spooner, who appeared on WWtBaM in *3* different countries (Australia, UK, Ireland), or the Aussie WoF contestant in 1996 who was American, then-host Tony Barber even making reference to Pat and Vanna in his interview...

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie BabY")

vtown7

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 10:53:57 PM »
Hmm... interesting Chuck... I also have a Aussie WoF kicking around with an American on it as well..

R.

melman1

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 11:06:04 PM »
[quote name=\'jhuhn\' date=\'Nov 21 2005, 07:24 AM\']some game shows are unfair as some only allow U.S. residents to try out which I think violate the Human Rights code.
[/quote]
I propose that posts like the above ought to be grounds for immediate banning, and that all prospective members be required to read it as an example of unacceptable posting.

Anyone who'd babble about "Human Rights Codes" and "Rights to Free Speech" are simply not going to contribute anything useful here.  Ever.

If this is an unreasonable request, I'd really like to know why.
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.