Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Audience sweetening  (Read 12109 times)

HairMetalLives

Audience sweetening
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2005, 12:08:08 AM »
This is a very interesting topic. I have one question, however. I've thought for a while now that "Small Talk" operated without an audience and just used laugh and applause tracks; is this true?

tvrandywest

Audience sweetening
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2005, 02:02:31 AM »
It's cool to see this and the other old threads that become, in the jargon of radio programming, "recurrents".

I still see the same faces in post production facilities painstakingly adding a full pallete of audience reactions to sitcoms and game shows. Although with "reality" programming taking many of those time slots as the "flavor of the month", I imagine their work has lessened lately. Bob LaMasney is one; he sweetened Supermarket Sweep. Another is a really cool guy with a great ear named Boyd. I see him all over town; we worked a number of shows together, including Twenty One and I believe Weakest Link, as well. John Bickelhaupt was the post production laugh-meister for "The Nanny".

Each of these guys carries his own mysterious hardware into the sessions. I remember at Metromedia Square in the early 80s, in the era when tape loops were still king, seeing one of the old-timers with his large 3 or 4 foot high box, a dozen piano-style keys and a footpedal that he shlepped on a handtruck to multiple sessions a day. These days the hardware is significantly smaller, but equally mysterious; it's always "hands off" as far as playing with the tools of these guys' trade. Although I did have endless access to the electronic keyboard and it's internal audience that's used on "Price".

Some of the audience sounds on Price must be unique to the show, as the "oooh", the "aaahhh" and the screaming (used during the one-bids) are far from subtle. I can't imagine hearing them anywhere else. The smaller giggles and the small smatterings of applause could work anywhere.

The NBC-Burbank McKenzie loops resided in the Sound Effects department across the hall from Studio 1 until the entire department was closed around 2001 after so many decades. I did manage to dub everything that remained in the room on the week it closed. The techs there told me that indeed the same loops were used for years, as were some of the game sfx. I remember a really talented guy's intensity and flailing hands in Studio 3 at a "Sale Of The Century" taping as he worked on-the-fly with his set-up of 4 five-loop McKenzie machines.

In recent years, my experience in the studio with Boyd on the first day of a show's taping was that it was serious work for him. We would take the audience through several dozen different sounds; the subtle ones where only a small portion of the audience participated were the most important to him ("This time let's hear it only from those with birthdays in January, February and March"). He was even painstaking in getting a solid 30 seconds of silence on tape so that he could have the room ambience available to cover edits.

Right now I'm wrapping work on Fremantle's five 1-hour "Game Show Moments" specials, but my sessions in post production have not yet coincided with any of the audience sweetening.

btw, I think my life will be far more entertaining after it's edited and sweetened. I hope it tests well   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Audience sweetening
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2005, 02:11:51 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Apr 24 2005, 01:02 AM\']btw, I think my life will be far more entertaining after it's edited and sweetened. I hope it tests well   ;-)
[/quote]
Too bad you only appeal to the 50 and over demographic. According to advertisers, you're undesirable.

:)
--Mark
Phil 4:13

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Audience sweetening
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2005, 03:00:30 AM »
I remember a really talented guy's intensity and flailing hands in Studio 3 at a "Sale Of The Century" taping as he worked on-the-fly with his set-up of 4 five-loop McKenzie machines.
Geoff Cooper.

davemackey

Audience sweetening
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2005, 05:32:14 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Apr 24 2005, 02:02 AM\']It's cool to see this and the other old threads that become, in the jargon of radio programming, "recurrents".

I still see the same faces in post production facilities painstakingly adding a full pallete of audience reactions to sitcoms and game shows. Although with "reality" programming taking many of those time slots as the "flavor of the month", I imagine their work has lessened lately. Bob LaMasney is one; he sweetened Supermarket Sweep. Another is a really cool guy with a great ear named Boyd. I see him all over town; we worked a number of shows together, including Twenty One and I believe Weakest Link, as well. John Bickelhaupt was the post production laugh-meister for "The Nanny".
[snapback]83103[/snapback]
[/quote]
Boyd Wheeler is the guy's name and he's got quite a few credits in the sweetening dept.

Bob LaMasney was also the master and overlord of those well-known audience sounds at NBC. He's also worked on Chuck Lorre's great sitcoms "Dharma and Greg" and "Two and a Half Men".
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 05:34:34 AM by davemackey »

cmjb13

Audience sweetening
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2005, 07:45:11 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Apr 24 2005, 02:02 AM\']Some of the audience sounds on Price must be unique to the show, as the "oooh", the "aaahhh" and the screaming (used during the one-bids) are far from subtle. I can't imagine hearing them anywhere else.
[snapback]83103[/snapback]
[/quote]
The screaming during the one-bids seems to be used dominantly on Price, but I've also heard it on Eubanks CS, during both the main game and Money Cards.

Seems to be used for scenarios where they want people shouting answers (bids & guessing the next card respectively), but you really can't understand what they are screaming.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Audience sweetening
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2005, 11:41:01 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Apr 24 2005, 02:00 AM\']
I remember a really talented guy's intensity and flailing hands in Studio 3 at a "Sale Of The Century" taping as he worked on-the-fly with his set-up of 4 five-loop McKenzie machines.
Geoff Cooper.
[snapback]83105[/snapback]
[/quote]
There was at least one other--John Kantrowe (who even got a credit in the final SP for "audience reaction").  Kantrowe was also given an audio credit on the final $otC (along with a couple of other techs), so it's conceivable that he did some audience reax for them as well.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Audience sweetening
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2005, 05:19:10 PM »
Geoff Cooper was a funny and talented guy. I don't think he works for NBC any more. Someone told me he owns a record store in Burbank. During a rehearsal of Classic Concentration, when they were trying to decide between the "fire bell" and the "school bell" for the time's up effect, Geoff turned to me and said, "We're curing cancer here".

The late John Kantrowe was a surly old NBC engineer who was once ready to deck Bobby Sherman merely for requesting a lighter hand on the audience sweetening.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 05:19:56 PM by chris319 »

uncamark

Audience sweetening
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2005, 01:03:08 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Apr 24 2005, 04:19 PM\']Geoff Cooper was a funny and talented guy. I don't think he works for NBC any more. Someone told me he owns a record store in Burbank. During a rehearsal of Classic Concentration, when they were trying to decide between the "fire bell" and the "school bell" for the time's up effect, Geoff turned to me and said, "We're curing cancer here".

The late John Kantrowe was a surly old NBC engineer who was once ready to deck Bobby Sherman merely for requesting a lighter hand on the audience sweetening.
[snapback]83132[/snapback]
[/quote]

Couldn't Bobby had said "Lin Bolen stopped working here years ago?"  :)

ChuckNet

Audience sweetening
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2005, 10:57:24 PM »
Boyd Wheeler is the guy's name and he's got quite a few credits in the sweetening dept.

Don't ask me how I remember, but he also worked on TTD '90.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Ryan_Conley194

Audience sweetening
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2005, 01:18:21 AM »
I know as a sound effects company called Sound Ideas that can try to hunt down the complete NBC, ABC and/or CBS sound effects libraries (with audience reactions from each networks' facilities [Burbank And New York]) and digitally remaster those sounds from the original MacKenzies or NAB cartridges for the best sound ever.

Speaking of NBC's Mother MacKenzie, can we call CBS's tapes Father MacKenzie?