Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A little treat for "early color TV" fans...  (Read 5560 times)

TwoInchQuad

A little treat for "early color TV" fans...
« on: December 04, 2005, 06:21:45 PM »
OK, gang-- here's what it looked like on your enormous 21" RCA television, back in those days:

http://www.kinescopes.com/TPIR_clr.jpg

(And this is a true color photo, by the way-- not one of my colorization jobs.   Only about the 3rd one found, to date)

Enjoy!!

-Kevin
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 06:23:13 PM by TwoInchQuad »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 07:53:47 PM »
Thanks for the picture.  That really is a nice clean pic.  Don't suppose you want to tell us where you picked up the kinescope?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 08:08:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Dec 4 2005, 07:53 PM\']Thanks for the picture.  That really is a nice clean pic.  Don't suppose you want to tell us where you picked up the kinescope?
[snapback]103851[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ehh.......it's a regular photo.

But yeah, Kevin, where did you find this?
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 01:59:03 AM »
Actually, it was passed along to me by someone who knows of my interest in game shows and early color TV... the actual print has evidently stated to fade, as the scan I was given had a nasty color shift that I corrected prior to posting.

-Kevin

mystery7

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 02:10:16 AM »
God, that's gorgeous. Thanks for that picture, and the restore job.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 03:47:07 AM »
Thanks Kevin.  I always wondered what the Cullen TPIR would look like in color.  I've seen many B&W episodes, I sometimes forget there WAS actually an episode shot in color.

mystery7

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 12:37:53 PM »
All the NBC episodes were originally in color (the better to show off parent company RCA's gorgeous new color TVs). GSN ran those color shows from BW kinescopes. When Price moved to ABC in '63, it also moved from color to BW since ABC didn't yet have the resources for color.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 05:10:30 PM »
When Price moved to ABC in '63, it also moved from color to BW since ABC didn't yet have the resources for color.

Same thing happened to "Missing Links".  When it debuted on NBC in 1963, it was in color.  When it switched to ABC in 1964, it changed to black and white as well.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Kevin Prather

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 06:58:05 PM »
Wow. Forgive my ignorance, but what sort of prize went for $7,000 back in Cullen TPiR days?

mystery7

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 07:16:03 PM »
L'see...Cadillacs...really expensive jewelry...trips around the world (jet travel was kind of a novelty 'til the 747 came out)...maybe a terribly extravagant fur.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 08:43:06 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Dec 5 2005, 03:58 PM\']Wow. Forgive my ignorance, but what sort of prize went for $7,000 back in Cullen TPiR days?[/quote]
Unlike the present version, the original saw people bidding on anything and everything. Furniture, trips to exotic locales, paintings, real estate, any kind of car you can imagine, and at least once, contestants bid on an actual business: the person who bid the highest without exceeding the actual value became the new owner.

So, basically, it could've been just about anything you could possibly think of that would go for $40-50K these days. ;)

musicman

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 09:02:53 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Dec 5 2005, 12:37 PM\']All the NBC episodes were originally in color (the better to show off parent company RCA's gorgeous new color TVs). GSN ran those color shows from BW kinescopes. When Price moved to ABC in '63, it also moved from color to BW since ABC didn't yet have the resources for color.
[snapback]103888[/snapback]
[/quote]

I know that B&W videotape was first used in 1956,  but when was color videotape introduced?

joe_capitano

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 11:22:10 PM »
Perhaps a year later, but what is believed to be the first major program to be produced on color videotape was the 1958 NBC special "An Evening with Fred Astaire". It's in the UCLA archives - though portions of the restored program were taken from a monochrome kinescope.

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 01:07:19 AM »
I keep hoping a color photo of Cullen TPIR will turn up showing the double price tage title logo in which one tag looks to be a different shade than the other.  Another one from that era has slightly more stylish lettering but looks like basic black-on-white for both tags.  The two color pics we've seen so far are great, though.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 01:30:17 AM »
Unfortunately, the one that Matt had posted on the BC website a while back (which is the other one that I'm assuming you're referring to) was a tinted B&W shot, done for a local TV newspaper insert.  It was done reasonably well, but wasn't a genuine color shot.

On the other hand, I actually ran across two other 35mm color slide shots of the set about six months ago, which were taken by a tourist who had attended one of the NBC shows.  As it happened, though, even the better of the two was rather grainy, so that may be why Matt never used the scan of it that I gave him.

-Kevin
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 01:52:17 AM by TwoInchQuad »