Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Deal Or No Deal  (Read 42933 times)

Matt Ottinger

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #150 on: December 22, 2005, 11:35:56 AM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Dec 22 2005, 11:16 AM\'] since it has pretty good odds of returning at some point, let's hope that NBC doesn't make the same mistakes with it that ABC did when they overexposed WWTBAM.[/quote]
If I make NBC's schedule, I'm already planning three days a week, M-W-F at 8pm.  Anybody asks for a fourth day, or running two days in a row, I fire his ass.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

NickS

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #151 on: December 22, 2005, 11:42:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 22 2005, 11:35 AM\'][quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Dec 22 2005, 11:16 AM\'] since it has pretty good odds of returning at some point, let's hope that NBC doesn't make the same mistakes with it that ABC did when they overexposed WWTBAM.[/quote]
If I make NBC's schedule, I'm already planning three days a week, M-W-F at 8pm.  Anybody asks for a fourth day, or running two days in a row, I fire his ass.
[snapback]105545[/snapback]
[/quote]

If anything, I see it either Wed/Fri or Mon/Fri.  Surface has been OK at best, with a full-season renewal, and that could get moved to Wednesday for Deal to go.  Or, have Deal as a lead-in/out to/from E-Ring.

That, or make it a weekly with big money and a syndie with $250K as top prize and cutting down the amount of boxes.  I have a feeling that Megan Mullaly won't go for fall 2006; that, or it will be overshadowed if DoND does go syndie.  I know what I'd go towards. ;)

tvmitch

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #152 on: December 22, 2005, 11:48:51 AM »
I think syndie budgets could allow making the top value $500K, but making the top five values something like $500K-$200K-$100K-$50K-$25K, somewhat akin to the Millionaire tree. Rarely would the show give away $500K or even $200K, and maybe the higher amounts could be annuities.

The biggest problem would be finding a workable format that fits in 22 minutes, unless straddling would be an option.
You should follow me on Twitter

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #153 on: December 22, 2005, 12:03:27 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' date=\'Dec 22 2005, 08:48 AM\']The biggest problem would be finding a workable format that fits in 22 minutes, unless straddling would be an option.
[snapback]105549[/snapback]
[/quote]
Straddling is not only an option, it's damn near a requirement. The game can be over in 5 minutes or 20, depending on if someone dives on an early Bank Offer.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #154 on: December 22, 2005, 12:12:56 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Dec 20 2005, 09:14 AM\']The point made about Howie needing to shore up his commercial pitches is a good one, but I'm willing to write that off to first-show jitters. I could tell he improved even over the course of the hour, so I have high hopes for the rest of the week.
[/quote]
I wanna give credit where credit is due, here. Just over the course of three shows, Howie has gotten GOOD at the commercial pitch.

I shook my head when they said "It's gonna be Howie Mandel", but dammit, he's freakin' GOOD. I would love to see this show succeed just to see Howie do this some more, even if it DOES stay broken. I even like the fist bump.

(And I enjoy the show open a lot, too, even with that silly vault. The walk with the sudden emergence onto the set as he hits the Eternal Question is neat. Beats the hell out of Johnny Vaughn opening that stupid door. :))
GOTTA do something about "Open the case." If he mixes THAT up a bit, his evil break pitches will be that much more convincing. "Let's see what's in there....AFTER THIS!!"
And he's done this, too, but I gotta eat a little crow on "Open the case!" He seems to be turning it into a little catchphrase of sorts, by having the contestant issue the order occasionally. Not bad at all.

For such a broken, poorly post-productioned show, we sure seem to enjoy watching it, though, don't we? (Unless your name is Mark Odor, of course, and anyone who didn't see THAT one coming down Broadway just wasn't thinking.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DrJWJustice

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #155 on: December 22, 2005, 12:47:02 PM »
All I can say is "ditto", Chris.

And he's done this, too, but I gotta eat a little crow on "Open the case!" He seems to be turning it into a little catchphrase of sorts, by having the contestant issue the order occasionally. Not bad at all.

Well, I do have one evil thought.  At least he's not doing the occasional "Show and tell" like Gene Rayburn would do on MG. (ducking!)

GS Warehouse

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #156 on: December 22, 2005, 12:54:09 PM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' date=\'Dec 22 2005, 11:42 AM\']If anything, I see it either Wed/Fri or Mon/Fri.  Surface has been OK at best, with a full-season renewal, and that could get moved to Wednesday for Deal to go.  Or, have Deal as a lead-in/out to/from E-Ring.
[snapback]105546[/snapback]
[/quote]
Well, let's take a look at the January schedule as it stands right now (Saturday omitted for obvious reasons):

SUNDAY
7:00 - Dateline
8:00 - The West Wing
9:00 - Law & Order: Criminal Intent
10:00 - Crossing Jordan

MONDAY
8:00 - Surface
9:00 - Las Vegas
10:00 - Medium

TUESDAY
8:00 - Fear Factor
9:00 - Scrubs (back-to-back eps)*
10:00 - Law & Order: SVU

WEDNESDAY
8:00 - E-Ring
9:00 - The Biggest Loser: Special Edition*
10:00 - Law & Order

THURSDAY
8:00 - Will & Grace
8:30 - Four Kings*
9:00 - My Name is Earl
9:30 - The Office
9:59 - ER

FRIDAY
8:00 - Most Outrageous TV Moments*
9:00 - Dateline
10:00 - The Book of Daniel*

* midseason entry

First off, Team Peacock is spending most of February in Torino.  After the countdown to Vancouver 2010 begins, another cycle of The Apprentice is waiting in the wings, as well as upcoming drama series Kidnapped.  I don't see DoND returning until May at least, but I would make it a Monday-Wednesday summer entry.

NickS

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #157 on: December 22, 2005, 01:04:58 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' date=\'Dec 22 2005, 11:48 AM\']I think syndie budgets could allow making the top value $500K, but making the top five values something like $500K-$200K-$100K-$50K-$25K, somewhat akin to the Millionaire tree. Rarely would the show give away $500K or even $200K, and maybe the higher amounts could be annuities.

The biggest problem would be finding a workable format that fits in 22 minutes, unless straddling would be an option.
[snapback]105549[/snapback]
[/quote]

As said before, straddling would be a good thing in this case... but who says you'd have this as a half-hour?  Do remember that top prize for syndie Link was (EDIT)$100K(EDIT), so I would think you'd keep your top prize around there.

All I ask is that you have the potential contestants be the case holders and root the king of the hill on... you get *so* much more out of that IMO.

And yes -- I'm completely biased with my opinions after watching the UK show.

One more thing... I know it's been said before, but I finally had the Roncomatic Showtime ADR epiphany last night.  I swear Howie was going to include a case of SprayOn Hair (tm) along with the banker's offer.

I stand corrected on the amount.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 01:31:21 PM by TeppanYaki »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #158 on: December 22, 2005, 01:19:20 PM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' date=\'Dec 22 2005, 02:04 PM\']Do remember that top prize for syndie Link was $250K, so I would think you'd keep your top prize around there.
[snapback]105563[/snapback]
[/quote]

I agree with that, but I have to say your figures are off. $75,000 and $100,000 were the top syndie Link prizes.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Matt Ottinger

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #159 on: December 22, 2005, 01:43:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Dec 22 2005, 12:22 PM\']I could live with the bad ADR, but if the phone call from the daughters is indicative of what's to come, I won't be tuning in again. [/quote]
On the other hand, for a show justly criticized for its predictability, didn't we all do a "what the hell?" double-take when that phone rang a second time?

DrJWJustice

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #160 on: December 22, 2005, 01:49:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 22 2005, 01:43 PM\']On the other hand, for a show justly criticized for its predictability, didn't we all do a "what the hell?" double-take when that phone rang a second time?
[snapback]105566[/snapback]
[/quote]
I damn sure did.  I was expecting the banker to call back with another, better offer.

weaklink75

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #161 on: December 22, 2005, 01:51:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 22 2005, 01:43 PM\'][quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Dec 22 2005, 12:22 PM\']I could live with the bad ADR, but if the phone call from the daughters is indicative of what's to come, I won't be tuning in again. [/quote]
On the other hand, for a show justly criticized for its predictability, didn't we all do a "what the hell?" double-take when that phone rang a second time?
[/quote]

I agree with that....I thought it was the bank again to sweeten the offer a little...and you would think they would do the Monty Hall Paradox at some point when it gets to the last two and there's a ND..(bank calls up and offers to swap cases)...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 02:01:56 PM by weaklink75 »

Lemonjello

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #162 on: December 22, 2005, 02:34:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 22 2005, 02:43 PM\'][quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Dec 22 2005, 12:22 PM\']I could live with the bad ADR, but if the phone call from the daughters is indicative of what's to come, I won't be tuning in again. [/quote]
[/quote]

I thought for sure it was going to be a telemarketer calling.

Kevin Prather

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #163 on: December 22, 2005, 02:43:06 PM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'Dec 22 2005, 11:49 AM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Dec 22 2005, 01:43 PM\']On the other hand, for a show justly criticized for its predictability, didn't we all do a "what the hell?" double-take when that phone rang a second time?
[/quote]
I damn sure did.  I was expecting the banker to call back with another, better offer.
[snapback]105568[/snapback]
[/quote]
I was expecting an offer to allow the player to switch her case. Isn't that what's done in some other countries?

Yeah, I certainly double-took when it rang again.

Matt Ottinger

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #164 on: December 22, 2005, 02:43:17 PM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' date=\'Dec 22 2005, 02:51 PM\']I agree with that....I thought it was the bank again to sweeten the offer a little...and you would think they would do the Monty Hall Paradox at some point when it gets to the last two and there's a ND..(bank calls up and offers to swap cases)...[/quote]
That really wouldn't be nearly as comparable to the Monty Hall Problem as it would appear.  Remember, not even the producers actually know what's in the cases, only a third-party observer who has nothing to do with game play.  Also, the cases have been removed randomly, which is counter to the central conceit of the Monty Hall Problem.

Offering to switch the last two cases wouldn't actually change the odds of the game at all.  In fact, it doesn't really matter that a player picks "his" case at the beginning.  Statistically, the game would work exactly the same if the player didn't choose a case to start and simply "won" whatever amount was in the last case left unopened.  

All a "Swap Cases" offer would do is just introduce one more mind-game headache for the player.  Which, I imagine, wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.