Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bad sportsmanship?  (Read 8062 times)

Robert Hutchinson

Bad sportsmanship?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 10:13:21 PM »
I was never bothered by the opposing team being discouraging on Combs Feud. Maybe it had something to do with being an opposing force to Uncle Ned's family feeling like they had to say "good answer!" even when he was singlehandedly bringing down the team.

I think you actually see a lot of Bankrupts applauded on Wheel of Fortune, but that's because you see absolutely everything applauded on Wheel of Fortune.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
Bad sportsmanship?
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2006, 10:19:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jan 5 2006, 10:13 PM\']I think you actually see a lot of Bankrupts applauded on Wheel of Fortune, but that's because you see absolutely everything applauded on Wheel of Fortune.
[/quote]

If I may refer to another show.... $20,000! <clapclapclapclapclap>

Yeah, you're right.  We wouldn't be human beings if we didn't have that streak of greed in us, and while it may not show with some people, believe you and me it's there, we all want to win and some are willing to go all out while some are more reserved in how they behave during the game.  It all depends on the personality of the contestant.  OTOH, if it's encouraged by a producer, I think I'd find a new producer. But, that's just my opinion.

inturnaround

Bad sportsmanship?
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 10:35:33 PM »
So, people are actually disgusted when they see feuding on the Feud?

Tres ironique, n'est-ce pas?
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Robert Hutchinson

Bad sportsmanship?
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 10:42:21 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Jan 5 2006, 10:35 PM\']So, people are actually disgusted when they see feuding on the Feud?[/quote]

New for the 2006-07 season: shotguns!
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

BrandonFG

Bad sportsmanship?
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2006, 10:43:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Jan 5 2006, 10:42 PM\']New for the 2006-07 season: shotguns!
[snapback]106864[/snapback]
[/quote]
If they're used on the production staff and those responsible for D0UBL3 TH3 P01NTS!!!!11!ELEVEN!!BEDBATHANDBEYOND!!!, then I'm all for it.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

GS Warehouse

Bad sportsmanship?
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2006, 12:50:03 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jan 5 2006, 07:59 PM\']I know World Series of Poker is SOOOOO not a game show, but when I read this topic, I instantly thought of Mike the Mouth Matusow. ...
[snapback]106848[/snapback]
[/quote]
Now that we've degenerated into card games: if "Hollywood" Dave Stann is in the field at the World Series of Blackjack again, is it OK to root against him?

Craig Karlberg

Bad sportsmanship?
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2006, 03:36:30 AM »
I've seen a few occasions on TPIR during the Showcase Showdown where the contestant that's standing under the scoreboard that indicates that they're the leader watches the other players spin the Big Wheel.  In doing so, sometimes, they do some spinning motion with their hands as a sort of "hex" on the other players for them not making it to the Showcases.  Hand gestures like that I don't mind, but if they start to vocalize them at least a few times, then that can get annoying.  Unless that vocalization yields bad sportsmanship, that sort of thing is tolerated on that show.

Also, I seen to recall after a player won their game on PYL, one of the losers actually cursed on the air.  It definitely would be grounds for bad sportsmanship if it was directly at that player.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Bad sportsmanship?
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2006, 06:50:24 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jan 6 2006, 03:36 AM\']In doing so, sometimes, they do some spinning motion with their hands as a sort of "hex" on the other players for them not making it to the Showcases. [/quote]
I think the appropriate word may be "disconcertion".  As a basketball official...its interesting to see this topic...similar situations occur on the court as well.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Steve Gavazzi

Bad sportsmanship?
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2006, 09:12:24 AM »
This actually happened on Price just yesterday, during the second Showcase Showdown.  The third spinner got 80 in one spin, tying the leader, and as Bob was explaining her options, she very nearly spun again until he all but grabbed her back from the wheel.  After she was convinced to have a spin-off, the other contestant apologized, and Bob discovered that he was the one who had advised her to spin again...which sounds bad enough until you realize that she nearly listened to him!

Bad sportsmanship?  Absolutely, but it was damn funny...and between his "advice" and her almost spinning on 80, I wasn't sure I wanted either one of them to get into the Showcase. :-P

Steve McClellan

Bad sportsmanship?
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2006, 12:49:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Jan 6 2006, 03:50 AM\']I think the appropriate word may be "disconcertion".  As a basketball official...its interesting to see this topic...similar situations occur on the court as well.[/quote]
As a fellow basketball official, I'm now having visions of the player under the scoreboard and the next spinner both with their arms in the air, wiggling their fingers, causing the spinner to wind up and miss the wheel entirely. :-p
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 04:13:54 AM by Steve McClellan »

zachhoran

Bad sportsmanship?
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2006, 07:17:31 PM »
[quote name=\'isucgv\' date=\'Jan 5 2006, 07:53 PM\']I'm reminded of the pilot week of Lange's Name That Tune with the extremely obnoxious guy in Bid-A-Note:
Opponent:  "I can name that tune in 3 notes"
Obnoxious: "I'm shaking!  I'm sweating!"

At some level it was funny, but it just got annoying pretty quickly.
[snapback]106846[/snapback]
[/quote]

From the final aired Lange NTT TofC, the semi-final game with Les Gould and Tammy Warner had some less than stellar sportsmanship by Les. The Golden Medley SHowdown was tied with one second left on the clock, and the score going into the round was such that whomever won the round moved onto the finals. Les names the next tune, Jim then announces he won, Les ignores Tammy's congratulatory handshake, jumps around the stage, etc. He then finds out that the second hadn't elapsed from the clock yet. No one named the next tune, so Les wins. Tammy can fill in with more backstage details if she wants.

LA the DJ

Bad sportsmanship?
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2006, 09:33:32 PM »
I'm curious if most contestant coordinators would cut players who exhibit this type of behavior, or if it is/was accepted on some shows (PYL, Combs Feud, Street Smarts), or even, possibly, applauded.
I can kind of see why some would allow this, making the argument that it may make for more exciting TV, for the same way wrestling has its heels, and Poker has Phil Hellmuth or Mike Matusow.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 01:54:32 AM by nWo_Whammy »
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

jdhernandez

Bad sportsmanship?
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2006, 11:04:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Jan 6 2006, 03:36 AM\']
Also, I seen to recall after a player won their game on PYL, one of the losers actually cursed on the air.  It definitely would be grounds for bad sportsmanship if it was directly at that player.
[snapback]106882[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ahh yes, the infamous Jim Hess. He also cursed when he got a third whammy in the first round.
I thought it was bad gamesmanship in that episode when Sam passed from third place (God only knows why...) to Jim, and Jim said sarcastically, "Thanks a lot," and shot such a dirty look. After that, Jim whammied and screamed, "Geeze, f*ck, sh!t!" To me, I always thought he directed that obscenity towards Sam for passing the spin from third place, when he should have spun again, and that always made me think, "I'm glad he lost..."

While we're on this, you see this kind if stuff going on moreso on PYL, but it seems more like playful banter by doing the "whammy hex" hand movement, or something silly like that. Once in a while, you see players chanting, "Whammy, Whammy" ... but it seems more like good-natured ribbing and fun there. It sounds like it's much more of a laid-back atmosphere on that show than most others. That's my two pence.
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bad sportsmanship?
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2006, 06:12:56 AM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Jan 6 2006, 06:33 PM\']I'm curious if most contestant coordinators would cut players who exhibit this type of behavior, or if it is/was accepted on some shows (PYL, Combs Feud, Street Smarts), or even, possibly, applauded.
[snapback]106952[/snapback]
[/quote]
If you think Skyler Stone got any of his game show gigs for being anything other than a complete asshat, you're not thinking.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe