Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Aussie WoF for 2006  (Read 5461 times)

pownster

New Aussie WoF for 2006
« on: January 30, 2006, 06:36:13 AM »
Hi guys,

Haven't been online for a long time - thought you might be interested in seeing some excerpts from the new Wheel of Fortune, hosted by Larry Emdur and Laura Csortan. The new set has some similarities with the US version.

Check the clip out at my "Video Moments" page:

Australian Game Show Home Page - Video Moments

Chris.
Chris Powney

Australian Game Show Home Page

http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/gameshow/homepage.htm

Clay Zambo

New Aussie WoF for 2006
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 09:05:03 AM »
Thanks for that clip.

Since the round-1 winner received a prize (as is done in the UK version), I wonder: do players also receive the amounts they've earned by spinning?  Or does only the daily champion win those amounts?   I thought I heard the host refer to the "top dollar value", but I might be mistaken.

And when's the last time we saw a host who was shorter than the hostess?
czambo@mac.com

pownster

New Aussie WoF for 2006
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 09:11:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Jan 30 2006, 09:05 AM\']Thanks for that clip.

Since the round-1 winner received a prize (as is done in the UK version), I wonder: do players also receive the amounts they've earned by spinning?  Or does only the daily champion win those amounts?   I thought I heard the host refer to the "top dollar value", but I might be mistaken.

And when's the last time we saw a host who was shorter than the hostess?
[snapback]109043[/snapback]
[/quote]

No - the contestants do not collect the cash amounts - the dollar values simply determine the ultimate winner of the night, and the number of letters allowable in the bonus prize round at the end of the show. And unlike the US or UK version - our players get to carry over to the next show.
Chris Powney

Clay Zambo

New Aussie WoF for 2006
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 02:05:30 PM »
Ah--that explains it.  I thought "4 consonants and one vowel" was an unusual number, but since the player had won 4K points, that makes sense.

Do you have to solve a puzzle to keep your points?
czambo@mac.com

Brig Bother

New Aussie WoF for 2006
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 02:15:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Jan 30 2006, 07:05 PM\']Ah--that explains it.  I thought "4 consonants and one vowel" was an unusual number, but since the player had won 4K points, that makes sense.

[snapback]109058[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't think you do, but solving a puzzle freezes your points at that point in case you hit a bankrupt.

Chris, any chance of some pics from the new Deal or No Deal?

pownster

New Aussie WoF for 2006
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 03:21:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'Jan 30 2006, 02:15 PM\'][quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Jan 30 2006, 07:05 PM\']Ah--that explains it.  I thought "4 consonants and one vowel" was an unusual number, but since the player had won 4K points, that makes sense.

[snapback]109058[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't think you do, but solving a puzzle freezes your points at that point in case you hit a bankrupt.

Chris, any chance of some pics from the new Deal or No Deal?
[snapback]109059[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'll see what I can do - mind you, the changes this year are minimal (mainly cosmetic), the only addition from previous seasons is the addition of a "double-or-nothing" option at the end of the game. I'll have a go this evening.
Chris Powney

Brig Bother

New Aussie WoF for 2006
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 03:26:35 PM »
[quote name=\'pownster\' date=\'Jan 30 2006, 08:21 PM\']I'll see what I can do - mind you, the changes this year are minimal (mainly cosmetic), the only addition from previous seasons is the addition of a "double-or-nothing" option at the end of the game. I'll have a go this evening.
[snapback]109062[/snapback]
[/quote]

Cheers. That's interesting! I heard they were getting a completely new set!

SamPrainito

New Aussie WoF for 2006
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 03:30:39 PM »
I'm not a big "Wheel" fan, at least I haven't been since the late 80's, but I liked that clip.  

I think the Austrailian show combines the best elements from different eras of the U.S. show.  A high-tech set, but with shopping!  (And I swear I heard a modern version of the old 80's shopping music)

If the U.S. version were more like this, I'd probably start watching it again.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
New Aussie WoF for 2006
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 03:42:06 PM »
[quote name=\'SamPrainito\' date=\'Jan 30 2006, 12:30 PM\']I'm not a big "Wheel" fan, at least I haven't been since the late 80's, but I liked that clip. 

I think the Austrailian show combines the best elements from different eras of the U.S. show.  A high-tech set, but with shopping!  (And I swear I heard a modern version of the old 80's shopping music)

[snapback]109066[/snapback]
[/quote]
That was my feeling. Also that Emdur is a freakin' good host and I'm glad to see he landed someplace after Price folded on him.

The point system is weird, but if it's what y'all are used to... :)

I'm assuming that theme is the same general melody as the Wheel theme in Australia has always been?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvmitch

New Aussie WoF for 2006
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 03:46:43 PM »
[quote name=\'pownster\' date=\'Jan 30 2006, 09:11 AM\']
No - the contestants do not collect the cash amounts - the dollar values simply determine the ultimate winner of the night, and the number of letters allowable in the bonus prize round at the end of the show. And unlike the US or UK version - our players get to carry over to the next show.
[snapback]109044[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wow. I have watched far too many episodes of Australian Wheel and I never realized that. I always thought the consonant/vowel choices were based on some ridiculous algorithm or something.

I'm still lost on the money...who all gets to keep the cash? Just the top contestant, all three, or none?
You should follow me on Twitter

Jeremy Nelson

New Aussie WoF for 2006
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 04:56:07 PM »
Well, it seems like nobody keeps any of the money, meaning that they probably should change "top dollar" to "top value", to avoid confusion.

I, too think that Emdur is a good host. He gets into the game just as much as the players do, which is always a good thing. On a side note, I like the sound FX, especially the toss-up music. Right about now anything sounds better than the stuff on the US Wheel.

This marks another Australian game show which can be revived without screwin up the concept- they take familiar gameplay and make a few modern alterations. I can't wait to see Bert's Family Feud.

I have a question: Is Laura tall or is Larry just short?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 05:01:17 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
New Aussie WoF for 2006
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 05:32:33 PM »
I'm assuming that theme is the same general melody as the Wheel theme in Australia has always been?

Yes...and a terrific theme it is. They even kept the same bonus think music!

And I'm very happy to see they kept the show going despite Steve Omecke's version.

-Jason
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 05:36:46 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Stackertosh

New Aussie WoF for 2006
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 12:00:09 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Jan 30 2006, 05:32 PM\']

Yes...and a terrific theme it is. They even kept the same bonus think music!

And I'm very happy to see they kept the show going despite Steve Omecke's version.

-Jason
[snapback]109073[/snapback]
[/quote]

how was the Steve Omecke verson?

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
New Aussie WoF for 2006
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 10:02:54 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 30 2006, 01:42 PM\'][quote name=\'SamPrainito\' date=\'Jan 30 2006, 12:30 PM\']I'm not a big "Wheel" fan, at least I haven't been since the late 80's, but I liked that clip. 

I think the Austrailian show combines the best elements from different eras of the U.S. show.  A high-tech set, but with shopping!  (And I swear I heard a modern version of the old 80's shopping music)

[snapback]109066[/snapback]
[/quote]
That was my feeling. Also that Emdur is a freakin' good host and I'm glad to see he landed someplace after Price folded on him.

The point system is weird, but if it's what y'all are used to... :)
[snapback]109068[/snapback]
[/quote]
If there's one current international host who I would all but kill to get onto American television, it would be Larry Emdur.  The man's nearly impossible not to like.  Apparently the story was that after the most recent TPIR ended he was going to retire, but apparently the Seven people made him an offer he couldn't refuse.  Good on Larry for sticking around.

I had some WTF? moments in watching Chris Powney's clip of the new show (like the scoring...a letter appearing in the puzzle only scores once instead of multiplying by the number of appearances in the puzzle.).  But otherwise there are some good vibes rolling through that clip.  Seems to me the Aussies like WOF as much (if not MORE) than we do.
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
New Aussie WoF for 2006
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 10:15:14 PM »
Dunno if you meant it that way Joe, but it's always been that way on the Aussie WoF.

Are vowels still $50? Anyone?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck