Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cosby You Bet Your Life  (Read 6875 times)

BrandonFG

Cosby You Bet Your Life
« on: February 19, 2006, 02:20:01 PM »
Short and simple, does anyone know whether the theme to Cosby's YBYL was specially composed for the show, or an older piece? I've started to re-discover jazz, and I'm especially reminded of the theme song, and how catchy it was...

Thanks!
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

whewfan

Cosby You Bet Your Life
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 03:37:50 PM »
Just as the themes for The Cosby Show, Cosby, and The New Bill Cosby Show, Bill himself composed the YBYL theme music. Not many people know Bill Cosby is very musically inclined, in the same manner as Jackie Gleason and Steve Allen were.

Some sources also give Bill partial credit for Chump Change AKA the Now You See It theme, which he used for his variety show in the 70s.

Don Howard

Cosby You Bet Your Life
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 04:10:20 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Feb 19 2006, 03:37 PM\']Some sources also give Bill partial credit for Chump Change AKA the Now You See It theme, which he used for his variety show in the 70s.
[snapback]110553[/snapback]
[/quote]
When The Cos guested on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, The NBC Orchestra would play the Now You See It theme after Johnny introduced him.
Even after he became a mega-star with the ultra-success of The Cosby Show, the creator of Fat Albert would still do a minute or two of stand-up before joining Johnny and Ed at home base.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Cosby You Bet Your Life
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 05:32:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Feb 19 2006, 01:10 PM\']Even after he became a mega-star with the ultra-success of The Cosby Show, the creator of Fat Albert would still do a minute or two of stand-up before joining Johnny and Ed at home base.
[snapback]110557[/snapback]
[/quote]
Except in his case, it was sit-down, wasn't it?

I love the fact that Bill Cosby has been so freakin' successful that he could get away with being a stand-up comedian without even standing up. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

Cosby You Bet Your Life
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 05:36:49 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 19 2006, 03:32 PM\']I love the fact that Bill Cosby has been so freakin' successful that he could get away with being a stand-up comedian without even standing up. :)
[snapback]110561[/snapback]
[/quote]
To be honest, I think that's why he's so successful. He's not showy. The audience can relate to him so well that it's almost like they're talking to a friend. At least, I know that's why I'M a fan. :)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Cosby You Bet Your Life
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 05:42:02 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Feb 19 2006, 02:36 PM\']To be honest, I think that's why he's so successful. He's not showy. The audience can relate to him so well that it's almost like they're talking to a friend. At least, I know that's why I'M a fan. :)
[snapback]110562[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh, sure, the effect is great, it's like you're sitting next to a warm fire having your grandfather regale you in funny stories.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

mystery7

Cosby You Bet Your Life
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 09:06:59 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Feb 19 2006, 03:37 PM\']Some sources also give Bill partial credit for Chump Change...
[/quote]
Including the 1973 Quincy Jones album it originally appeared on: "You've Got It Bad, Girl". Cosby co-wrote the tune with Q. Track right before it on that album is another TV hit: The Streetbeaters, aka the Sanford & Son theme.

Clarifier to the original question: Cos composed the YBYL theme with Philly jazz organist Shirley Scott, who was the show's music director.

FOXSportsFan

Cosby You Bet Your Life
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 12:35:27 AM »
How can ya not love The Puddin' Pop man?  Yeah he's long winded at times with the stories, but they're worth the wait...good stuff as always.  As a kiddie, I do remember watching his You Bet Your Life with my granny.  We must have been those 2 Nielsen viewers...

Kevin Prather

Cosby You Bet Your Life
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 01:23:52 AM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Feb 19 2006, 10:35 PM\']How can ya not love The Puddin' Pop man?[/quote]
Oh, man. When I read this, I totally thought you were doing a Bill Cosby impression. lol

davemackey

Cosby You Bet Your Life
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 10:10:00 AM »
Here, by the way, is some background on the late Shirley Scott:

http://www.dougpayne.com/shirley.htm

aaron sica

Cosby You Bet Your Life
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 11:27:22 AM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 12:35 AM\']How can ya not love The Puddin' Pop man? 
[snapback]110604[/snapback]
[/quote]

As far as favorite childhood (non-GS) shows go, he was on two of my favorites - "The Electric Company" and "Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids". Thanks to DVD, I can enjoy both of those shows again. Not to mention I'm also a huge "Cosby Show" fan. He's one of the best, if not THE best, entertainers.

ObGameShow: TeC alum Rita Moreno guested on MG.

uncamark

Cosby You Bet Your Life
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 11:58:19 AM »
The title of the "You Bet Your Life" theme was "Blues for Jaws," referring to Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis, who gave Shirley her big break and made her the co-leader of his band (complete with Liberace-ish candelabra on top of her Hammond and lights on the bass pedals to show off her feet).  Since her recording in the last years of her life was sporadic (and mostly on piano), I don't know if this song is available on commercial CD.

You can't go wrong with most of her albums, but I recommend any Prestige release, when she was at her peak.  In particular, go for "The Trio Sessions, Vol. 1," her first recordings as a solo act--it's just her, a bass player and a dummer and it grooves from start to finish (except for a version of "Brazil" that sounded like it was recorded to be released as a single and get MOR airplay backtimed into news).

Ian Wallis

Cosby You Bet Your Life
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 04:06:28 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' date=\'Feb 19 2006, 09:06 PM\'][quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Feb 19 2006, 03:37 PM\']Some sources also give Bill partial credit for Chump Change...
[/quote]
Including the 1973 Quincy Jones album it originally appeared on: "You've Got It Bad, Girl". Cosby co-wrote the tune with Q. Track right before it on that album is another TV hit: The Streetbeaters, aka the Sanford & Son theme.

[snapback]110587[/snapback]
[/quote]

Why do I feel like there's another Million Dollar question for our WWTBAM thread in there somewhere?  It would be easy to tie it into game shows, as in "What 1970s game show theme does Bill Cosby share a writing credit on?"
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

mmb5

Cosby You Bet Your Life
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 04:48:19 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 11:58 AM\']The title of the "You Bet Your Life" theme was "Blues for Jaws," referring to Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis, who gave Shirley her big break and made her the co-leader of his band (complete with Liberace-ish candelabra on top of her Hammond and lights on the bass pedals to show off her feet).  Since her recording in the last years of her life was sporadic (and mostly on piano), I don't know if this song is available on commercial CD.

You can't go wrong with most of her albums, but I recommend any Prestige release, when she was at her peak.  In particular, go for "The Trio Sessions, Vol. 1," her first recordings as a solo act--it's just her, a bass player and a dummer and it grooves from start to finish (except for a version of "Brazil" that sounded like it was recorded to be released as a single and get MOR airplay backtimed into news).
[snapback]110631[/snapback]
[/quote]

Would this be the correct song?
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

FOXSportsFan

Cosby You Bet Your Life
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 05:29:21 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Feb 20 2006, 01:23 AM\'][quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Feb 19 2006, 10:35 PM\']How can ya not love The Puddin' Pop man?[/quote]
Oh, man. When I read this, I totally thought you were doing a Bill Cosby impression. lol
[snapback]110611[/snapback]
[/quote]

I do a dead on Cosby, for those who are interested...or for those who are frightened.  Just me babbling on about putting my pudding pop in the Jell-O and swirling around the vas defer...(BARS AND TONES)